Unhappy Grooming

Wow only 3 pounds. How old is she now? Bailey was 3.5 pounds at 10 weeks and she was the smallest sheltie I had ever seen. I can't imagine a sheltie even smaller than her.

I would recommend not using a collar on a puppy that small. A harness might be better for her. It won't slip off. I kept a harness on Bailey all day. Since she was in housebreaking mode. I took her out so often, it didn't make sense to keep taking it on off. The only time she didn't wear it was at night and when she was in the crate.

Kai'a is 10 weeks and 3 days. At the vet today she was 3 lbs. 4 oz. She is very small. :yes: Everyone thinks I got a toy Sheltie :no: I have a harness but the leash is attached to it. Are there ones that small that I can attach a leash to? Right now she is ringing a bell when she has to elimate, but she also rings it just to get us to take her outside to play. Sort of backfired on us. :uhoh:.
 
Kai'a is 10 weeks and 3 days. At the vet today she was 3 lbs. 4 oz. She is very small. :yes: Everyone thinks I got a toy Sheltie :no: I have a harness but the leash is attached to it. Are there ones that small that I can attach a leash to? Right now she is ringing a bell when she has to elimate, but she also rings it just to get us to take her outside to play. Sort of backfired on us. :uhoh:.

Then Bailey and Kai'a were the same weight. Bailey was just an ounce bigger :) Yes petco and petsmart make little harness small enough for them with no leash attached.

Here is a picture of Bailey at 10 weeks with her little harness.
http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=131&pictureid=1496

Right now Bailey is 7 months old. She is 12 3/4 inches and weighs 12 pounds. It'll be interesting to see if your puppy stays on the same track as Bailey.
 
At 10 weeks, you really don't need a slicker brush! You can accomplish the same thing with a wide comb. All you are trying to do right now is get her used to being groomed.

Do handle her paws alot right now. Hold them firm in your hand. Squeeze a little. If she's ok with that, squeeze each nail. If she's still ok, then take human nail clippers and clips off little bits.

At a minimum, you want a slicker brush and a pin brush. I had bought a cheap slicker at Petsmart which was far too stiff. I recently bought a much softer and longer one made by Lawrence of England. It was only about $15 and I love it. I bought this at a smaller pet store in my area. I also love my CC brushes too.

Advice to forum....stay away from Petsmart for any grooming brushes. They seem to be all crap.

As for collars....martingales are ideal for Shelties. Their heads are so small in relation to their neck/ruff that a regular collar is easy to slip out of. You can buy martingales at pet stores but most of these are abit heavy - you want to keep it to be no more than 1/2 wide at the most. Once pup is grown, you can look at getting a custom one. We've threads on this already.
 
As for collars....martingales are ideal for Shelties. Their heads are so small in relation to their neck/ruff that a regular collar is easy to slip out of. You can buy martingales at pet stores but most of these are abit heavy - you want to keep it to be no more than 1/2 wide at the most. Once pup is grown, you can look at getting a custom one. We've threads on this already.

I got a martingale for her, but it seems to be too heavy right now. I picked it up at petsmart becasue there is nothing else around. I think I am just going to use a harness while she is so small. That might solve several problems.

BUT ... on a high note, today I have gotten her to sit, everytime I have asked her, and she did it willingly without me having to touch her or prompt her. And she will come to me from across the yard when I crouch down and call out "Kai'a, Come". The small joys! I will relish them know as I am sure tomorrow she will chose not to listen. :rolleyes2:
 
I have an adjustable martingale too. I wouldn't use it on a puppy that small. I started using it when Bailey was about 5 months old. She has turned into a puller and chokes herself, so I'm we're back to using the harness.
 
Then Bailey and Kai'a were the same weight. Bailey was just an ounce bigger :) Yes petco and petsmart make little harness small enough for them with no leash attached.

Here is a picture of Bailey at 10 weeks with her little harness.
http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=131&pictureid=1496

Right now Bailey is 7 months old. She is 12 3/4 inches and weighs 12 pounds. It'll be interesting to see if your puppy stays on the same track as Bailey.

that is too cute- I guess I'll need to get a small harness too. both my dogs wear harnesses for their seatbelts in the car so will need one anyhow :wink2:
 
Nice to know I'm not the only one with a sheltie that hates being brushed. She's almost two and it's always a struggle. I usually sit on the floor with her and if I give her a kong or something with a treat inside it. It seems to keep her occupied and she puts up less of a fight about being brushed. Now if you try to blow dry and brush her after a bath, that's an entirely different story.
 
At a minimum, you want a slicker brush and a pin brush. I had bought a cheap slicker at Petsmart which was far too stiff. I recently bought a much softer and longer one made by Lawrence of England. It was only about $15 and I love it. I bought this at a smaller pet store in my area. I also love my CC brushes too.

I have several of the Lawrence tender care slickers (in different sizes) - I really like them as they aren't so rough on the dogs or their coat, and I brought one for my sister's cats too. Mind you, they were a lot more than $15 (things here are really too expensive).
 
Back
Top