Unhappy Grooming

I tell you, it looks like a torture device. :eek2: While I am waiting for my new brush to arrive, is there one at a local pet store than might not be so offensive? Also, I just bought some VP, Show Dog ... will that help as her coat is coming in? She is a little ball of fuzz right now. (pictures coming later tonight!!) :yes:

Honestly?
My opinion only...
Get a cheap ole pin brush (Gasp.. I know I know.. I had got mine at the Dollar store, lol) until you I got the CC one delivered through the joys of Ebay! Kaia is just a baby there can't be that much undercoat yet?
Second, for me a grooming table was never an option not something I can invest in, personally. SO the dog groomer at the dog park had THE best advice when it came to after bath grooming!
I put Toffee on the dryer or washer since then, this way I can control and he holds still, and I don't put anything down either, just like at the vets table!
... When I am done I lift him off, no fuss no muss :)
Normal brushing happens on the coach while watching TV if I have time, or if not outside on a leash, for quick and dirty brushing, because he is not a fan of it...
 
For me, I think the Madan brushes are much better then the CC brushes.
Not even close. A much more comfortable rubber handle instead of hard wood, fits my small hand, and the pins NEVER collapse. At $16 online, and at the dog shows, if you can find a vender that carries them. We always have at least 4 pin brushes in the tack box of varying sizes, and I can't begin to guess how many have been left at ringside over the years. Maybe people have CC brushes to groom at home, but I don't see alot of people using them at the shows, because of the cost vs always misplacing them.
Here is an online vender...cheap. http://www.toplinepet.com/
 
Honestly?
My opinion only...
Get a cheap ole pin brush (Gasp.. I know I know.. I had got mine at the Dollar store, lol) until you I got the CC one delivered through the joys of Ebay! Kaia is just a baby there can't be that much undercoat yet?
Second, for me a grooming table was never an option not something I can invest in, personally. SO the dog groomer at the dog park had THE best advice when it came to after bath grooming!
I put Toffee on the dryer or washer since then, this way I can control and he holds still, and I don't put anything down either, just like at the vets table!
... When I am done I lift him off, no fuss no muss :)
Normal brushing happens on the coach while watching TV if I have time, or if not outside on a leash, for quick and dirty brushing, because he is not a fan of it...

For a minute there, I thought you wrote that you put him IN the washer and dryer! LOL! :eek2::lol:
 
I think this is something I have been missing while teaching my pup. He also makes a game out of brushing...
My friend with long time experience in shelties sent this link to me so I have started using it... it is different when they out of their comfort zone, pup had no objections to brushing at all...
http://sheltiedoc.blogspot.com/search/label/puppy training

I groom on the floor, and the for the longest time, Indy would go into Houdini mode and attempt escape. Hard on the back, but I used to restrain him with my leg draped over the part of the body that I was grooming.

Now's he has finally figured out that HE IS NOT going to win the battle, so he just settles into it. The hard part is to catch him.....! :lol:
 
sheltieche that is a very good website and I am so glad I read it. We are trying to get Zak used to grooming he really hates having his nails done.
 
So after watching & reading most of the blog from the link that was posted,I decided to try some of the techniques mentioned last night.

Trapp does get on my home made grooming table,does very well up there,but this was the first time,he had a complete nail & fur trim of the pads,up there. I actually been trimming while he sleeps..but it does'nt work well,now that he's older. I swear he sleeps with one eye open!:rolleyes2:

There was some resistance,but he soon settled once he realized it was a no win situation by whining & wiggling. He gave in,and let me do all four feet,nails & trim. And he got a fresh poop shute trim~ Of course he was givin treats for being such a good sport.So the tips were helpful

It gave me a chance to use my new shears I ordered.
 
sheltieche that is a very good website and I am so glad I read it. We are trying to get Zak used to grooming he really hates having his nails done.

With slow process,even if you get one nail done on one night,and another done the next,they soon learn to tolerate it. I still while Trapp sleeps,take and click my finger against his nails,and rub his feet,seperate his toes,all while he's sleeping.
I think he likes it,because I find him seperating his toes at times.:wink2:
 
I groom on the floor, and the for the longest time, Indy would go into Houdini mode and attempt escape. Hard on the back, but I used to restrain him with my leg draped over the part of the body that I was grooming.

Now's he has finally figured out that HE IS NOT going to win the battle, so he just settles into it. The hard part is to catch him.....! :lol:


I use to restain my lab(my first dog) that way for her grooming too. With the nails, I had to lay on her with my leg over heer flank and her head between my arm and body. She was almost 100 lbs and nobody would help me. If took her to the vet or groomers it took 3 men and small boy to hold her:mad: so I had to do it myself.

By the time she was 3 , when she saw me coming with the grooming stuff. She would tuck up all her feet under her body like a turtle pulling in its feet. But all I had to do was touch her shoudler and she'd roll over and lay flat on her side.:smile2:
 
With slow process,even if you get one nail done on one night,and another done the next,they soon learn to tolerate it. I still while Trapp sleeps,take and click my finger against his nails,and rub his feet,seperate his toes,all while he's sleeping.
I think he likes it,because I find him seperating his toes at times.:wink2:



Awww, how cute!! Megan still doesn't like to be messed with a whole lot while she is sleeping, but she seems OKAY with us cutting her nails. :smile2:
 
Awww, how cute!! Megan still doesn't like to be messed with a whole lot while she is sleeping, but she seems OKAY with us cutting her nails. :smile2:

I do Bumper also while she sleeps.I've been doing it that way with her since 8 weeks old. She rarely moves,and if she does,I just take my time with her. I could have never done that with my previous cat Nick. He was a spit fire that one.
I miss him though!
 
Back
Top