Vaccinations and Boosters

I loosely follow Dr Dodds protocol. Up till one year mine get all the required shots, after that I do the rabies every 3 required by law here, I do not do kennel cough because just from the amount of showing my group does they build up their own sort of immunity, and it basically doesnt cover every type out there. Over age 7 here they only get rabies that is it.

This is the protocol I use.
 
Boy you opened up a can of worms, :lol::hide! I tend to do the bare minimum required by Texas state law. I feel good about it and will continue down this path! :biggrin2:
 
I would be happy to present a viewpoint from a different perspective if you would care to PM me.
:cool: -Dr. Mac

I would like to hear your viewpoint too right here in this thread. It is good to get both sides of the subject, pros and cons, not for contention but for information.
 
Thanks, Mary. Unfortunately, I'm in Connecticut and there's no exemption here. What a good idea though!

I'm in new jersey and i brought a letter to my down from my vet, exempting Max from vaccines because of his health. I am trying to build up his emine system and i feel itnwould be omprimised if given vaccines. The town accepted it and issued his license. Max doesn't even go outside by himself, and we take him on the boardwalk everyday or exercise. He could care less about other dogs,so why take a chance. But i also clean with essential oils, and use them on Max. He takes natural supplements and chinese herbs. He had gone through enuf with his previous owners. But also why should a stranger dictate to me what is best for my Max, that just wrong!
 
I'm in new jersey and i brought a letter to my down from my vet, exempting Max from vaccines because of his health. I am trying to build up his emine system and i feel itnwould be omprimised if given vaccines. The town accepted it and issued his license. Max doesn't even go outside by himself, and we take him on the boardwalk everyday or exercise. He could care less about other dogs,so why take a chance. But i also clean with essential oils, and use them on Max. He takes natural supplements and chinese herbs. He had gone through enuf with his previous owners. But also why should a stranger dictate to me what is best for my Max, that just wrong!

I agree! I'm going to work on writing to my legislature and trying hard to get the law passed if the next state we settle into doesn't allow exemptions. It's so sad they don't even take into account this could really hurt my dogs!

For now, we just keep them mostly at home. We sound like we have a lot in common :)
 
I would like to hear your viewpoint too right here in this thread. It is good to get both sides of the subject, pros and cons, not for contention but for information.

Frankie's owner asks a good, simple, important question and I do wish we could address it. I think there is some unfortunate advice being offered here. However the moderators have had to repeatedly step in to keep the Sheltie Forums a congenial, pleasant place for Sheltie owners because of contentious arguments on this subject, and there is no point in starting another firestorm.

A short while ago we had a FOURTEEN page thread, Shots For Your Shelties, 137 posts, which eventually ended in lectures from the mods that the personal attacks were becoming too strident. (On the subject of how often to vaccinate your dog?)

Sheltie Nation is such a wonderful place. I chuckle at the fabulous pictures posted each morning, my wife and i take turns choosing one for desktop pics to make our day. I love the stories, how all shelties are the same in so many ways, I truly love the people.
But (or , perhaps better, 'therefor') when it comes to contentious subjects like vaccinations, feeding, and perhaps even flea control, out of respect to the mods and their quite correct wishes for civility, I am done publicly. If that means people do not get balanced information so be it.
But I am more than happy to deal with these subjects by PM for anyone interested.

-Dr. Mac
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Frankie's owner asks a good, simple, important question and I do wish we could address it. I think there is some unfortunate advice being offered here. However the moderators have had to repeatedly step in to keep the Sheltie Forums a congenial, pleasant place for Sheltie owners because of contentious arguments on this subject, and there is no point in starting another firestorm.

A short while ago we had a FOURTEEN page thread, Shots For Your Shelties, 137 posts, which eventually ended in lectures from the mods that the personal attacks were becoming too strident. (On the subject of how often to vaccinate your dog?)

Sheltie Nation is such a wonderful place. I chuckle at the fabulous pictures posted each morning, my wife and i take turns choosing one for desktop pics to make our day. I love the stories, how all shelties are the same in so many ways, I truly love the people.
But (or , perhaps better, 'therefor') when it comes to contentious subjects like vaccinations, feeding, and perhaps even flea control, out of respect to the mods and their quite correct wishes for civility, I am done publicly. If that means people do not get balanced information so be it.
But I am more than happy to deal with these subjects by PM for anyone interested.

-Dr. Mac

I sincerely hope Frankie gets the info she needs and the answers to the questions she asked :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We do rabies as req'd by law, which is every 3 yrs after they've had their initial rabies vaccines. For the booster, we go every 3 yrs as well. Our sheltie rescue in Mich. recommends that. Also, we've had several other breed dogs that we went w/annual vaccines and 2 of them had very bad reactions as they got older. We said Never Again will we poison our dogs by over-vaccinating them. I still feel bad about our then 14 yr old lhasa-poo Maxine, she was a mess after her last shots.

I firmly believe in the need for animals (and people!) to be vaccinated but as they get their immunities, they don't need them as often. Our vet understands but the techs always seem mystified, and always have the vaccines laid out when we get in the exam room, then I have to tell them to remove them.

I also believe the animal hospitals have raised their basic visit fee plenty to offset the loss of vaccine sales. I want my vet to make a living, and will gladly pay more for other stuff but I won't be vaccinating every year.
 
Back
Top