Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vet concerned about sheltie's weight

Discussion in 'General Health' started by dream2012, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    This is the exact size of my mom’s 2 year old sheltie and he is medium bone and sturdy . My 2 1/2 year old is 15 1-4- 15 1/2 and smaller boned / thinner build and 22 lbs and this is his max any heavier and he would be getting too heavy.
    Our vets have said both were good weights.

Our obedience trainer gave the best example i have heard, feel the ribs then make a fist and feel your knuckles, this what too thin feels like; have a relaxed , flat hand, this is what just right feels like; if you can’t feel the robs, then it is too heavy

k9kreationz likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is a easy way to understand if over/under weight! Thanks!

3. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I will say this. My vet said in his entire career (he wasn't that old), he had never seen a Sheltie that was in shape and at the correct weight. I did agility with Koji and even his first puppy vet said, "he's underweight, but keep him there for now because Shelties can gain weight fast". So I did. During agility, he was lean and even when he gained 1 pound, I would notice it on the agility course. After we retired, Koji was going on 7 and my new vet said, "okay, time to let him get a little chubby just in case (he needs it if he has health issues)" and by that, he meant, not underweight, so we found 21-22 lbs as his happy weight. Right now, my dogs are chubby from winter and well, Koji is barely 23 lbs and although it's harder to feel his ribs, he's still skinny. He's tall, lanky, and a total couch potato and he still doesn't gain weight easier.

I'd say everyone answered your question, I just wanted to throw this out there. I'd keep him underweight a bit at least until he starts to slow down (maybe 3-5 years old). Then see how the weight packs on.....or not. Like I said, I thought for sure Koji would have gotten fat because we're not doing agility or anything, but he hasn't. Even during winter, he's still thin as ever, okay, he may have gained 1 lb. LOL.