Weaving - which method?

Our club got a set a month or so ago...and it really affected Bentley's speed. It threw him off a bit, and he's just now building back up to where he was. I think he was used to running them with a certain gait, and now it takes more strides/steps per pole than it did before.

Edan had no problem with the 24 inch poles from the very first pass. (My club got a set of 12 poles a week before my very first AKC trial where they were using 24 inch poles.) Edan actually blasted through the 24 inch poles faster than the 20 inch poles. He picked up almost 1.5 seconds on his time.

If you watch my videos, look at videos from 2009 then look at the AKC and CPE trials from 2010 and you can see the difference in his performance.
 
I don't really know if it is a method but I trained Justice and Ember just straight poles with guides on them. Diva started like that but I grew tired of it. I hate my dogs weaves and I saw the patten occurs again. So Diva was in the middle of relearn weaves with channel weaves when she had to take a break. The speed increase was almost immediate.

I am thinking of taking pup #4 to a different more competative class. I didn't think the foundation I am getting in my current class in working for me any more.

Guide wires are a method of training the weaves.

So is luring with a treat, which is how we originally taught weaves and you can see that method in some of our members who have been around for a long time. Their dogs, for the most part, have rather slow weaves because the handler has to walk with them and hand gesture for every pole.

I hope you manage to find a class more suitable to what you are looking for.
 
I've used three different methods, and as of hopefully next month, will have all types here to use. I trained Athena using the channels with guide wires. WAMs she just didn't get. Kai was trained with WAMs. The rest of my crew, the newer dogs, are learning with the 2x2s. I like the 2x2s as they are learning independence and how to find an entry on their own from the get go.
 
I'm using the weave-o-matic poles. Right now, I have the poles slanted out as far as they can go. I trained Bailey by placing her in a sit/wait. Then I stood in front of the first pole and said "Ok, weave". When she did it correctly, I clicked and treated her. After she understood that, I moved back a pole. Whenever I felt she understood the pattern, I would move back another pole.

As of last night, I am able to stand at one end of the weave poles and she will run through the weaves correctly. I have also been placing her further away from the poles. She waits about 6 feet from the entrance pole. I can also stand at the first pole and run next to her as she weaves. I haven't tried sending her to the poles on her own yet. After a few more sessions of me running at her side or waiting at the last pole, I will try sending her on her own. After, she has this all down, I will slowly close the poles.
 
I own a full set of weavepoles (12). The best thing is that they are not connected to each other. They are loose, so you can place them however you want. Great! :smile2:
 
I used the guide method because that's what was being used in the classes where we train. We also trained on a full set of 12 poles from the start, so the 6 required in the AKC novice are nothing to Phebe and we're also ready for USDAA which uses 12 in starters.

We also practice entrances by doing round-the-clock drills. Phebe can find the weave entrance from any angle. Right now, we're putting the guides back on in pratice, so that I can get her accustomed to increased lateral distance and also rear crosses while she's in the weaves. I only have a set of 6 poles at home, and no guides, but that's enough for us. We also practice weaving pylons at the park. Phebe loves to weave and is comfortable with any pole spacing from 22" to 30".
 
Good job Phebe!

Dr Shelli, try the 2x2 method... I think you will really like it! It makes so much sense to me, and follows learning principles! I am so glad I stuck with it, I was discouraged at first because I didn't get it, lol.. thank goodness for Ania whom I peppered with private messages, and she gave me good tips!

I had no idea that foundation was the key, if I had a new dog now I would do things differently with shaping behaviours when they are little, lol
 
Training Weaves

When I fist got Shadow I knew nothing about agility.My obedience trainer threw agility in for fun and she trained the weaves with a clicker and then I signed up for agility and to polish off what he already knew she had us lure the dog through each pole by the collar.I knew nothing then so thought that was the way it was taught.Sting on the other hand was taught the 2x2 method.
 
hahaha Sharon
Thank goodness I had this forums when I started Agility. At least I could ask all of you, who had an idea! I had never even been to a trial, lol
 
For those of you who have tried several methods...do you prefer one over the other? We are getting ready to start Lexi's weave training, and are not sure which way we are going.

Our club does the channel weave method...but it really took Bentley quite some time to catch on. (But that could have just been him!)
 
Back
Top