When is a dog ready?

as to the snide remarks.. what I know of you; you can handle those with just a look, lol, no doubts in my mind! If you trainer says do it, then that is the person's opinion which matters most

Nothing to loose after reading Koji's exploits... hahahaha it can't be worse than that, and even THEN there was value in it for the handler!
Besides I can't wait to HEAR what you going to teach us about the experience :) Toffee and I are probably not toooo far behind (but we'll see, lol)

GOOD RUNNING :)
You guys will be awesome, and it won't hurt Romeo, which is the main thing FUN and Experience
 
Y'know what? Go watch my vidoes on YouTube. I think I have my fun match on Vimeo also. Trust me, you'll laugh so hard you won't think twice about Romeo.

Okay, at least watch this one. And you need volume. What my hubby says to his sister is so dang hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn_nAZoC36U

Obviously I didn't post my horrible runs on Vimeo, nevermind. If I find the original horrible ones, I'll send them over. lol. Seriously, I was never so embarrassed in my life and yet, I think after my first two trials, I was over it. Obviously, Koji's goal in agility is to make me look bad. LOL.

How do you feel about trialling? What is your fears?
 
I am entering this way mostly because it will be at the training facility where we train so equipment and smells are familiar, as well as many dogs that train with us. I would not do it if I had to compete outside as we never did it. So thinking where do you want to start makes difference to me, am not sure how relevant location in your situation.
 
The cons being that Romeo may not work in that environment, he may bark incessantly from stress or be distracted and embarrassingly go find the nearest female to hump, and we will get laughed at and mocked (I have been told that snide remarks will be aplenty from the regulars who trial).

I know some handlers who, when they register, know their first run of the day is a "throw away" because the dog is full of nervous energy. After that first run they are fine. Its also true that some dogs don't respond well to a trial environment. (My friend's Cocker is like this.)

Some dogs, on the other hand, respond fantastically to that sort of environment and energy. You really won't know how he'll respond until you get out there. And even then, he may respond completely differently at the next trial because the environment is different.

One thing I have never seen, even at AKC trials, are people outwardly laughing at people who have a problem when their dog is in the ring. You know why? Because we've all been there! Now whether or not those making the snide comments want to admit it or not is a different story. I seriously doubt when they were a Green handler and had a Green dog their runs were picture perfect.

How do you respond to them? Well, the best course of action is to ignore them. You want to get their goat? Laugh along with them, say something like acknowledging the 'bad run', then follow it up with (make sure to have a huge smile on your face) "At least Romeo had a good time!" and walk away. You will end up leaving them speechless because you gave them NOTHING.
 
The cons being that Romeo may not work in that environment, he may bark incessantly from stress or be distracted and embarrassingly go find the nearest female to hump, and we will get laughed at and mocked (I have been told that snide remarks will be aplenty from the regulars who trial).

One thing I have never seen, even at AKC trials, are people outwardly laughing at people who have a problem when their dog is in the ring. You know why? Because we've all been there! Now whether or not those making the snide comments want to admit it or not is a different story. I seriously doubt when they were a Green handler and had a Green dog their runs were picture perfect.

You can't allow people who are rude and judgmental make your choice about trialling. Honestly, no matter when you start, there will always be people who think they know better. Even in the higher classes, I hear people bash others. Romeo needs to get out and do it, in order to get used to it. Yes, he may go all over the place, yes ppl may say give it up, but you know your dog best.

Please don't let rude people keep you from trialling. As for Romeo running off....expect it to happen. Heck, I still see my friends dog run off at times (he's in Open in almost everything). Double heck, I've seen advanced dogs run off.
 
Please don't let rude people keep you from trialling.

Amen!!! Volunteer to help and you'll have something to do during the down time and avoid the trash talkers. They usually aren't the type to help out.

As for Romeo running off....expect it to happen. Heck, I still see my friends dog run off at times (he's in Open in almost everything). Double heck, I've seen advanced dogs run off.

I saw a Standard Poodle in Excellent prepare to take a dump in the ring this past weekend. Fortunately, the handler caught him before any damage was done, tucked his tail between his legs and carried him out of the ring.

Trialing is a great way to see where you really need the most work. Just set realistic expectations for your early trials (for any trial, really), i.e., a solid start line stay, resting quietly in the crate while other dogs are running, good contacts, whatever is appropriate for you and Romeo. Then, go out and make it fun for you both!
 
Last edited:
Wow thanks for all your thoughts and support!! I really appreciate hearing from people who have done it before and are candid about their experiences. It gives me an idea of what to expect from myself and Romeo!

k9kreationz, LOL! I love your vid. That is kinda what I'm most afraid of - that Romeo will run off! He has a tendency to do that (then stop and mark a jump). But judging from what many are saying, it doesn't sound too uncommon!! So it does kinda make me feel better! :biggrin2: At least I'll know I'm not alone!!

Sadly, we don't get many trials here, just the SKC (Singapore Kennel Club) ones and USDAA (last one was in earlier this month), so no smaller trials to "test" with.

I will have to practice my "game face" (I'm good at ignoring! LOL). But given that my expectations are so low (sorry Romeo), if Romeo so much as completes the course in some shape, form or manner, I would probably be over the moon!

I watched a gazillion vids of SKC novice jumper trials yesterday and they don't look too bad. I was telling our trainer that the courses she makes us run during our classes are much harder! She said if Romeo can focus on me at the trial, he might even Q, to which I laughed (sorry Romeo!) and said yes and I will buy him a car. :lol:

Me, I think I'm ready though I'm incredibly nervous! I can now remember courses, stopped running into jumps, and when I walk the course I actually think about the flow, where to stand/face, how to hold out my hand and how Romeo will run it. I just need to make sure to be calm enough to do all that. Maybe a shot of vodka right before?? Has anyone tried that???

Ok. It's settled then. Yes. *takes a deep breath* We'll trial!!!

OMG. Trial is mid Nov and I already have all kinds of fluttery things in my stomach. I really hope this gets easier with time and experience coz I'm planning on running Juliet at some point too! :eek2:
 
I know it is young age but I feel as long as we not overdoing it, we would be good, Che is in excellent physical shape, he gives greyhounds at local pooch park good competition:wink2:
It is UKC trial, 12 month and older so we just going to have fun, I mostly want to gauge myself where am I in my training...

UKC is a great venue to start in if your a new handler. It is a totally different style of agility. Not speed driven but handling and accuracy. Jump heights are lower, 8" ,14" and 20 " and some interesting equipment. Much more relaxed. My instructor ran her MACH BC in UKC at a local trial and she had a blast but she NQ all but 1 run. Not enough fine control for the platform jump and the usual equipment got him.:smile2:

Are you entering him in just AG1 or are you going to do AG2 as well. You you do both at the same time they are quite different. AG2 has more of the weird equipment. Sway plank, swing bridge, platform jump, crawl tunnel and pause box instead of table.

UKC agility went away in my area.(though we have tons of conformation, obedience and weight pull). The main club just brought all the equipment so it should be back soon. Justice is a senior now in UKC and we are going to go back and see if we can get can get his UACHX and UGACH as he only has to jump 8".
 
Maybe a shot of vodka right before?? Has anyone tried that???

Ok. It's settled then. Yes. *takes a deep breath* We'll trial!!!

OMG. Trial is mid Nov and I already have all kinds of fluttery things in my stomach. I really hope this gets easier with time and experience coz I'm planning on running Juliet at some point too! :eek2:

I've thought about the vodka shot especial before my first time in utility but never did it.:wink2:

Good luck on your first trial. You'll do great. :smile2: It does get better with time and experience but never really goes away. With Justice, no nerves anymore, Ember- little nerves, Diva-lots of nerves. I think that is because Justice and I know each other so well and Diva and I are still working on becoming a team.
 
Yea, just go for it. Its a nice thing to aim for before the end of the year.

People are usually really supportive of someone doing their first run. Heck when Deska did his first run he ran his own course, which involved the dog-walk three times and a spin and bark in the back corner of the field. We still managed a round of applause at the end just for trying! If things dont go well you may as well still have fun.

Sozzled on the course at your first trial - now that will really get people talking!!!
 
Back
Top