When is a dog ready?

k9kreationz, LOL! I love your vid. That is kinda what I'm most afraid of - that Romeo will run off! He has a tendency to do that (then stop and mark a jump). But judging from what many are saying, it doesn't sound too uncommon!! So it does kinda make me feel better! :biggrin2: At least I'll know I'm not alone!!

Sooo not alone. Koji never ran off like that before. But y'know, I'm sure it happens to the best of us.


I will have to practice my "game face" (I'm good at ignoring! LOL). But given that my expectations are so low (sorry Romeo), if Romeo so much as completes the course in some shape, form or manner, I would probably be over the moon!

This is how I feel when I do my Chances (Gamblers) courses. I pick part of the course to complete. And if Koji takes the distance, I am over the moon!!! The rest of the course by that point, I could careless. I just run it with him so he has fun. Don't worry, after trialling a bit, you'll get like that too. Certain things, will make you so happy. In the beginning it's, "not running off", then it turns into "finishing the course clean" then it's all the little things "hit a contact", "do the teeter" etc, etc, etc. :)

She said if Romeo can focus on me at the trial, he might even Q, to which I laughed (sorry Romeo!) and said yes and I will buy him a car. :lol:

My boss told me all the nuances to buying, owning, and driving a car in Singapore, that's quite a prize for Romeo!!!

Maybe a shot of vodka right before?? Has anyone tried that???

Okay, how come no one suggested this to me? I wonder if it would work....


OMG. Trial is mid Nov and I already have all kinds of fluttery things in my stomach. I really hope this gets easier with time and experience coz I'm planning on running Juliet at some point too!

You are so funny. Seriously, you sound exactly like I did before my fun match. I think I signed up or agreed to it a few months prior and was nervous as heck. Then I signed up for a trial and was even more nervous...all this being MONTHS before the trial. LOL. It just brings me back to being there.

Just a piece of advice, if Romeo does start to mark something, if you can stop him, great, just walk off. If not, be sure to grab him and stand there and yell WATER!!! lol. That way, they know where to pour it exactly to dilute the urine. Y'know, I was thinking about the last trial I went to. Someone had dropped a piece of chicken in the ring. Forget urine and sniffing. Chicken!!! And they couldn't find it. :no:

Just have fun. That's all its about. Don't worry about running off, or Q's. Just tell yourself, "we're here for fun and experience". :yes:
 
I was thinking of something else. Typically, they'll ask who's new to the venue, etc. If they do, be sure to raise your hand. Why? Because, when you do, and they know its your first time, they are so much more supportive.
 
Me, I think I'm ready though I'm incredibly nervous! I can now remember courses, stopped running into jumps, and when I walk the course I actually think about the flow, where to stand/face, how to hold out my hand and how Romeo will run it. I just need to make sure to be calm enough to do all that. Maybe a shot of vodka right before?? Has anyone tried that???

Ok. It's settled then. Yes. *takes a deep breath* We'll trial!!!

OMG. Trial is mid Nov and I already have all kinds of fluttery things in my stomach. I really hope this gets easier with time and experience coz I'm planning on running Juliet at some point too! :eek2:

We've all been there. I did some searching through some rather old posts on the forum and thought I'd share this with you from June of last year:

http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=2244


In the beginning it's, "not running off", then it turns into "finishing the course clean" then it's all the little things "hit a contact", "do the teeter" etc, etc, etc. :)

Just have fun. That's all its about. Don't worry about running off, or Q's. Just tell yourself, "we're here for fun and experience". :yes:

These are probably two of the best pieces of advice ANYONE can give someone, Cheryl. :smile2:

(1) Set reasonable goals for your first trial. "Not running off" (or "Remain focused on me" if you prefer) is a great goal for your first trial! Even if he doesn't successfully complete all the obstacles, as long as he's with you and paying attention you've scored a victory!

(2) HAVE FUN! Always remember, this is a game you are playing with your dog so have fun together. I think the judge in my last CPE trial put it best 'You asked your dog to be there by signing the forms, make sure he (she) has FUN out there.' (Paraphrased because I can't remember the exact quote.)
 
AgilityNerd? That's like my startup website! :lol:

Ok I had a DREAM about trialling last night. Oh dear. I'm sure it's a matter of time before my OH tells me I'm waving my hand around and yelling TUNNEL in my sleep.

Yes, my goals for that day will be:
1. Remember the course and don't run into anything (maybe these should be separate goals. Hmm.)
2. Romeo to keep in his sit stay at the start line.

Ok. That's it. I'm keeping things easy!! And I'll bring a flask with a single shot (or two), just in case! :lol: We'll have fun then for sure!!

Eeks. I'm so nervous. I took the day off work tomorrow and will go to a pvc pipe store to get my jumps made. Last night I was doing Susan Garrett's e-course all over again in hopes it will help keep Romeo focused on me!!

When I told Romeo that we are going to enter our first trial in November, he gave me that "hohum-ok-whatever-sure-anytime" look. I'm gonna take that so mean he is ready!
 
Back
Top