Whiskers or no whiskers?

I prefer the look without, by am too lazy to keep up with it. I don't like the "stubble" phase, so I just don't do it at all :)
 
On the other hand, if I get whiskers when I get older, I hope somebody will cut them off! :lol:

My Great (Great?) Aunt Birdie had a beard. She's been gone for at least two decades and we still joke about it.

I do like his "I give up" explanation. If a groomer labels you eccentric, oh well.
 
Show dogs get their whiskers trimmed for conformation shows. You wouldn't think of entering the ring with whiskers on your dog. I admit I have no idea why that is necessary to judge "breeding stock," but that's how it is. So I trim them before we're showing, but I let them grow back as soon as we're done. I love the whiskers and prefer them. I also hate the period after a show when they're growing out and are so prickly they'll poke you. :eek2:
 
I always suspected what I just read, they do have a purpose, Now, I do shave mine:winkgrin: slinking out of the room now
 
Show dogs get their whiskers trimmed for conformation shows. You wouldn't think of entering the ring with whiskers on your dog. I admit I have no idea why that is necessary to judge "breeding stock," but that's how it is. So I trim them before we're showing, but I let them grow back as soon as we're done. I love the whiskers and prefer them. I also hate the period after a show when they're growing out and are so prickly they'll poke you. :eek2:

Since I don't show, it never occured to me to shave off the whiskers! Frankly I don't notice them at all! Like Ann, I'm not sure why breeders do it. It seems wrong somehow to me. I honestly don't think whiskers ruin the esthetics at all.

I'm sure that someone will chime in eventually as why dogs have whiskers in this century.....I'm sure they were required in bygones past, but I don't know why anymore....

So it all comes to personal choice, methinks.
 
Whiskers

Yes - whiskers do have a purpuse. I have worn a full beard since 1975 and it is an expression of my personality. It also keeps my face warm in Minnesota winters. I would never cut the whiskers on my shelties. For them it is one of their sensory organs - one of the things they use to investigate their environment. So, YES to WHISKERS for both humans and shelties. Kind regards, Will
 
I think for myself, without whiskers when evaluating the head detail on show dogs, I'm not distracted by 3" whiskers curling off each side of the muzzle. I can quickly see the line of the underjaw and padding of the muzzle.
Also, I can't imagine trying to chaulk a face with long whiskers!:eek2:

We only let them grow on bitches when we know she is in whelp. They give her extra sensory during the night when caring for her wee ones.
 
Back
Top