Why I don't do conformation shows...

But how much of that money went right back into the dogs between paying for food, vet bills, toys, etc. Probably more than that $2,000.

That's the point I was trying to get at. You may "make" money when you sell the pups but in reality, you probably spent more than that just getting them to 10 weeks of age so its really not "making" money.

Please read the rest of my post. I didn't do the quotes right (which I just corrected), but I later said:

Oh yeah, that money had been spent years ago...

and

I'm years behind making anything on my dogs...probably more years than I've been alive.

;)

I kept records & accounts of my grandmother's kennel for over 4 years. She had a profit in 1 year. Of around $100. The one year she didn't really show.
 
Last edited:
Mine includes judges who obviously don't like Shelties, a judge who snuck up behind my dog and grabbed his tail to "measure" it, and a judge who actually made me cry in the ring. Oh, the war-stories!
Ouch. They definitely go on ze list:yes:
 
Adding in my two cents here...watching the best breeder I've ever known (missjennygirl) and the time, effort and money put into each litter and, before there even IS a litter, each bitch, it's impossible that anyone who breeds dogs could ever operate in the black.

It starts with the breeding. There's the stud fee, the pregnancy expenses for the bitch which include ultrasound and xray prior to birth; special food and extra vet visits. In some cases, there are also vet expenses for the birth, and certainly vet visits galore for the puppies whether the breeder is keeping them or they're going to homes.

Then there's the time. Whelping, newborn care, days without sleeping or leaving the house while an eye is kept round the clock on the new litter, and God forbid there's a problem and there's days (and nights!) of tube feeding every two hours....you can't put a price on what that labor is worth.

Honestly, by the time one is done, if you average a litter of 5 puppies, I'd guess that the breeder is in the hole at least $1,000, if not more, when all is said and done. It's amazing anyone does it, if not for the love of the breed and the dogs.

My hat is off to every one of you breeders who do this, and do it right. It's you we owe thanks to for our wonderful dogs.
 
I'll give an example.

The lady we go to the park with that has the Aussies went to the Houston, TX show a week or two ago. She entered two dogs into the weekend show. For two dogs for both Saturday and Sunday - $300. Conformation only.


Yes. $300 to enter two dogs into a show for two days. This does not incude hotel fees, gas to ride there, money for eating out, ect. Also take into account that paying that money is no guarantee at all that your dog will even win.

There's no way these people can do this and not love their dogs.
 
Yes. $300 to enter two dogs into a show for two days. This does not incude hotel fees, gas to ride there, money for eating out, ect. Also take into account that paying that money is no guarantee at all that your dog will even win.
:eek2:
It cost me £1 to enter the fun dog show.:lol:
 
I'll give an example.

The lady we go to the park with that has the Aussies went to the Houston, TX show a week or two ago. She entered two dogs into the weekend show. For two dogs for both Saturday and Sunday - $300. Conformation only.


Yes. $300 to enter two dogs into a show for two days. This does not incude hotel fees, gas to ride there, money for eating out, ect. Also take into account that paying that money is no guarantee at all that your dog will even win.

There's no way these people can do this and not love their dogs.

What show did she enter?:eek2:

Avg AKC conformation show per dog per day is about $25-27. So that should be about $100-108 for 2 dogs. It costs me between $35-45 dollars to enter one dog in both Open and Utility to go for a UDX leg. So 2 dogs 2 classes per day for 2 days around avg $160. UKC shows have 2 trials per day but they are slightly cheaper about $24-30 per dog for both Open and Utility about $240 a weekend for 2 dogs. The most expensive entry I had seen was $75(for one entry) and that was the AKC National Obedience Invitional that Ember got invited to. I didn't go as with travel and hotel and broading the other 2 dogs it would have costed me $1500 easy.
 
Last edited:
What show did she enter?:eek2:

Avg AKC conformation show per dog per day is about $25-27. So that should be about $100-108 for 2 dogs. It costs me between $35-45 dollars to enter one dog in both Open and Utility to go for a UDX leg. So 2 dogs 2 classes per day for 2 days around avg $160. UKC shows have 2 trials per day but they are slightly cheaper about $24-30 per dog for both Open and Utility about $240 a weekend for 2 dogs. The most expensive entry I had seen was $75(for one entry) and that was the AKC National Obedience Invitional that Ember got invited to. I didn't go as with travel and hotel and broading the other 2 dogs it would have costed me $1500 easy.

Maybe it was not for just conformation then. All I know was that she told us she was going to the Houston, TX dog show, and for both of her dogs it was $300 for both days. I will ask. Nobody else seemed surprised when she told them the amount so I thought that was average.

Kind of relieved though. :wink2: Didn't exactly want to fork over a nice chunk of change when we start competitions.


Did I just say that out loud? :uhoh::biggrin2:
 
Back
Top