Winter...what do you do for agility?

Love the video, Randi! So cute!

If you plan on keeping the board for practice for awhile, I recommend painting it with sand (send me an email if you want specifics). It's super easy to do and it will keep Bailey from sliding. She's still getting into her 2o2o now, but it could be trouble when she starts to pick up speed. (Also, I know I'm being picky, but make sure you reward her for standing in a 2o2o, not sitting :biggrin2:)
 
We practice in a big barn. COLD.....but dry.

The dogs don't seem to mind, but standing around gets the bones chilled:dead:
 
From November to March, our agility classes are held inside our club's obedience hall. We have classes once or twice a week. Every once in a while, I rent the training hall for an hour, so I can practice alone with all the equipment.

On weekdays, after work, we practice in my basement. I bought a jump, kiddie tunnel and set of weaves on ebay. I also painted a board to practice contacts. My basement is only big enough to practice one thing at a time, but it works for us.

Here's a cute video of Bailey practicing contacts in my basement. Since the board is smooth, Bailey just slides into her 2o2o. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOHC6t28dsc

Bailey is really cute :yes:
 
That's too darn cute by the way.
Get that boy some rubberized Paint or sprinkle some sand on the next wet coat, LOL, grip,grip I need more grip mom.
 
Last edited:
We pretty much have classes at our club year round. Classes run in 8 week (2 month) sessions with a week off in between for make up sessions due to weather or the instructor not begin able to make it due to life reasons.

We also set up weave poles or a jump or two in the lowest level of the house and work on those. Last winter I spent a lot of time with 4 poles working on weave entries from all sorts of angles. That time earned me a dog with a weave entry rate of about 95%-98% success; we are still working the "off side" of the weaves where he has to come at it from the left and make a relatively sharp turn into that first pole. The right side, where he has to wrap around the first pole for the entry he's pretty accurate.
 
Actually we're having our classes in a hall. We have a practice twice per week and also our trainer invited over couple of referees, so at the weekends we had an opportunity to train with them. Other than that, I don't have my own obstacles, so we're only running around the trees (and pretty much anything you can run around :lol:).
Your sheltie is so pretty. The way he slides into 2o2o is so cute :winkgrin:
 
winter what do you do for training

Actually we're having our classes in a hall. We have a practice twice per week and also our trainer invited over couple of referees, so at the weekends we had an opportunity to train with them. Other than that, I don't have my own obstacles, so we're only running around the trees (and pretty much anything you can run around :lol:).
Your sheltie is so pretty. The way he slides into 2o2o is so cute :winkgrin:

I used trees also for distant training.It works great.My sheltie Shadow runs a baseball diamond on command and I can send both my dogs around a soccer net from 50 to 100 feet away or a tree etc.People think you are nuts but in the long run it helps you out in agility because if you have fast dogs you are able to send your dog to an obstacle .:biggrin2:
 
I used trees also for distant training.It works great.My sheltie Shadow runs a baseball diamond on command and I can send both my dogs around a soccer net from 50 to 100 feet away or a tree etc.People think you are nuts but in the long run it helps you out in agility because if you have fast dogs you are able to send your dog to an obstacle .:biggrin2:

Yea, it helped us a lot,too. I mean, my pup was horrible at the beginning. He was too handler focused, staring at me all the time and once he ran through a jump (we didn't use poles at first- naturally) he'd bark at me or even tried to bite my ankle lol. It wasn't too funny. So we started with trees where he had to go ahead in the direction where I sent him and it got much better. It's not like he could run a baseball diamond, but we're increasing the distance,too :biggrin2:
Oh people can think whatever they want. He's going tru puberty so only time when i get his attention is when I'm holding a tug toy in my hand :lol:
 
Back
Top