3 day trial this weekend

The massage is just to see where he ouchy.I know when I had Sting done with massage she hit one spot and I thought he would come off the table.The massage would help some but also I ended up pulling Sting from his JWW run.with chiropractor once he is adjusted you can't run your dog for a day.Just let him chill.I pay for each adjustment 62.00

Thanks for the price and what the massage will be for. I'm going to run him tomorrow and if he pops out in the middle again, I'm going to pull him from Standard and go home and call the massage lady and see if she knows a chiro. If not, maybe I'll at least have her look at him before I find a chiro. Again, thanks for the info, and I'm glad I know about it (since you've talked about it and even pulled Sting yourself) so I know what to look for. If you hadn't discussed it before, I probably would never think it's physical and just assume he's being and arse. lol

I'll keep everyone posted.
 
Speaking as a chiropractor poping out of the weaves or even hopping the weaves rather than having a nice rhythym through them, is an indicator that there may be a pelvic/sacral issue, but the neck can definitely play a huge role in that as well. Massage is wonderful, but it will not relalign the bones restoring the nervous system's proper function, and therefore proper muscular function.

Here is a link to finding a chiropractor that is trainned in adjusting animals:
http://www.avcadoctors.com/search_for_avca_certified_doctor.htm

I feel your frustrations. Maia is very handler focused too and I don't have a trainer either. I hope you two do well today!
 
Speaking as a chiropractor poping out of the weaves or even hopping the weaves rather than having a nice rhythym through them, is an indicator that there may be a pelvic/sacral issue, but the neck can definitely play a huge role in that as well. Massage is wonderful, but it will not relalign the bones restoring the nervous system's proper function, and therefore proper muscular function.

Here is a link to finding a chiropractor that is trainned in adjusting animals:
http://www.avcadoctors.com/search_for_avca_certified_doctor.htm

I feel your frustrations. Maia is very handler focused too and I don't have a trainer either. I hope you two do well today!

Thank you for the link, I'm going to keep a close eye on Koji today and will keep everyone posted on his performance.
 
If you go to Agility nerd site there is few excercises to try at home or before trials- moving neck, moving nose to the tail each side etc.
You might try moving your hand down his spine when he is laying on the side, often injured joint/ muscle will generate more heat than other parts of the body. You can also try- adjust your breathing to slow deep and steady, apply light touch to the sides of back bone/ not the backbone itself/ and do light circular motion clock wise for about 1 minute each with your finger pads, going from neck to tail. Slight pulling on the tail might be beneficial. Providing you do gentle touch and have your dog in relaxed state you will find sensitive spot on his body and let his muscles relax.
 
It was a strange day, that's for sure. I do believe either the scribe missed the refusal or the judge did, but Koji had 2 refusals, but they only got one, so he Q'd his JWW run. Which mean....dum, dum, dum....he now has his Open JWW title.

He ran all 12 poles perfectly fine, however, he pulled out of the weaves in Standard. I had a agility fun day at my training center tonight and the owner (who I'd say overall is the best agility trainer there) and I spoke a bit more about Koji and his weaves.

She suggested I take him to the masseuse that we all know just to see if she can feel around, etc. But she honestly doesn't believe it's physical. She thinks it's just Koji not paying attention. We spoke about my runs and all the errors, etc, (that I know of) and she felt it had more to do with him breaking his stay, not being focused, versus it being physical.

Because after our agility fun day (I tried to keep it low key after 3-days of trialling, lol), she ran him through the weaves then had the other woman who works with him run him through and she said he physically looks great, but to see the masseuse first if I'm concerned.

I think I may do that. And she also gave me some DIFFERENT ideas about handling Koji's barking back at me. She suggested I just put my arm around him (not like a hug), and feel his body until I can tell he's calmed, then go on. Versus my trainer saying to grab him by the scruff and tell him to stop. Sigh. Koji isn't sensitive about that, but I dislike it and won't do it. Sorry.

Anyhow, overall, a decent day. Both runs were actually quite difficult, but fun. With Koji moving up to ExA in JWW, and with no Q's in STD, I've decided to either not run him in ExA JWW until we fix some of our issues in Standard, or will only run him in Open. It'll also mean a shorter day (otherwise I'm there from 7-3ish). I know I can move on, but I figure, if I had this much trouble getting there, I might as well work on it more. ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I"ll keep y'all posted about his health.
 
Kojii

I would still get him adjusted.Just because he ran all the poles does not mean he is not out.At some point he is going to to get it done.The massage is only going to help to relax him.Sting is going back for his 3rd adjustment and he is only 2.aCongrats on your jww. title.
 
... she also gave me some DIFFERENT ideas about handling Koji's barking back at me. She suggested I just put my arm around him (not like a hug), and feel his body until I can tell he's calmed, then go on. Versus my trainer saying to grab him by the scruff and tell him to stop. Sigh. Koji isn't sensitive about that, but I dislike it and won't do it. Sorry. ...

That's an interesting approach.

Barking at the handler can also be anxiety. Phebe does it to me sometimes in class. My instructors have taught me to put her in a down for a brief time-out and then we continue. It works well for us. I've even done it once or twice in a trial.

Congrats on the OAJ!
 
I would still get him adjusted.Just because he ran all the poles does not mean he is not out.At some point he is going to to get it done.The massage is only going to help to relax him.Sting is going back for his 3rd adjustment and he is only 2.aCongrats on your jww. title.

I have some calls to make tomorrow, so I'm going to be covering ALL my bases and go from there. It's hard with Christmas being so near. Ugh.

BTW, I meant to tell all of you, this morning, as Koji was stretching (play bow), I heard something "crack" like as if he was cracking his back or something. I was like, "oh good, maybe you're back in alignment" LOL. Or maybe not. I'm going to call the vet to see if they have any recommendations or referrals, if not, any thoughts on what kinds of questions I should be asking?
 
Last edited:
That's an interesting approach.

Barking at the handler can also be anxiety. Phebe does it to me sometimes in class. My instructors have taught me to put her in a down for a brief time-out and then we continue. It works well for us. I've even done it once or twice in a trial.

Congrats on the OAJ!

It was. But she said she could feel when he calmed down and as after he did, she'd stand up, Koji would look at her with interest, but not barking obsession (saying, give me the @%$^ cookie). And sent him to do the weaves and he did them, quietly, perfectly. I like that approach. Versus grabbing his scruff and yelling at him. Sigh. It's just not me.

I have tried the sit or down bit, but once I release, he's still worked up. I"ve done it too at trials.

I did notice that prior to going in, he was pretty calm. he was the first 16" dog (that rarely happens) and when I walked in as they were almost done resetting the bars, my gawd, he got hyper, crazy, barking, etc. Obvously, being IN the ring is setting him off. Sigh.

And thanks on the OAJ. :)
 
Back
Top