Agility toy must haves?

Hmm! Interesting. What's the rationale behind this? If I have 2 low value toys (all of toys are low value to Romeo), would it still work? I will definitely try it out tonight but just want to know the thought process behind this so I can tweak if needed.
 
The idea is to play off the dog's prey drive. You toss toy #1 and race the dog to toy #1 with toy #2 in your hand. As soon as the dog grabs toy #1, you shake toy #2 and move away from the dog so that he will drop toy #1 and chase you to get the 'live' toy. If you can get the dog to latch onto toy #2, then tug briefly and pick up toy #1, toss it and repeat.

You can also just toss one toy and race your dog to the toy. You racing for the toy puts a higher value on it -- if someone else wants it it must be good. When I do this scenario, I start by letting the dog 'win' about 2 out of 3 times, and then adjust as I need to to build drive.
 
The idea is to play off the dog's prey drive. You toss toy #1 and race the dog to toy #1 with toy #2 in your hand. As soon as the dog grabs toy #1, you shake toy #2 and move away from the dog so that he will drop toy #1 and chase you to get the 'live' toy. If you can get the dog to latch onto toy #2, then tug briefly and pick up toy #1, toss it and repeat.

You can also just toss one toy and race your dog to the toy. You racing for the toy puts a higher value on it -- if someone else wants it it must be good. When I do this scenario, I start by letting the dog 'win' about 2 out of 3 times, and then adjust as I need to to build drive.

YES
I did that unknowingly... lol
I wanted to build Toffee's confidence when he was young, so a tug and WINNING often was what we played a lot, lol That's coming in handy now, lol
 
Koji had no desire nor drive to play tug. Oh, he'd drive for food, but not much else (including DH). However, like many of you, I was instructed to build drive with a toy. Well, it's been how long that I've been training? 2 years? And well, although he tugs a LOT better now, he's still not big on toys. He's just not a toy dog. Heck, Miko is a better tugger than Koji and loves it more.

So, instead of tugging, what we do with the toy is fill it with food (it's also a bait bag), we put it on the ground, let him drive to it. He just sniffs it nothing more. So my job was to move it around to get him to want it. He may tug, but just going after it was good enough and you open it up and treat him.

I also tend to use it to throw. Let him know treats are in it, and toss it when needed. Trust me, I don't use it at trials because he's just not interested in it. I bought him one of those snakes in a box (actually it's food/carrots in a big carrot) and he could careless. He'll only pull them out to eat the strings off of them (sigh).

Does he have more drive since we've learned to tug? Yes. But is his drive even stronger knowing he has food at the end? Yes. So, I use tug then give him what he really wants. Food. Because if I use ONLY tug.....he gets disappointed and his willingness/drive goes WAY down and FAST!

This is my 2 cents for what worked and didn't work for me. Strangely enough, he loves to tug on his leash, but it's typically only when he's playing, NOT when he's working.
 
Koji had no desire nor drive to play tug. Oh, he'd drive for food, but not much else (including DH). However, like many of you, I was instructed to build drive with a toy. Well, it's been how long that I've been training? 2 years? And well, although he tugs a LOT better now, he's still not big on toys. He's just not a toy dog. Heck, Miko is a better tugger than Koji and loves it more.

So, instead of tugging, what we do with the toy is fill it with food (it's also a bait bag), we put it on the ground, let him drive to it. He just sniffs it nothing more. So my job was to move it around to get him to want it. He may tug, but just going after it was good enough and you open it up and treat him.

I also tend to use it to throw. Let him know treats are in it, and toss it when needed. Trust me, I don't use it at trials because he's just not interested in it. I bought him one of those snakes in a box (actually it's food/carrots in a big carrot) and he could careless. He'll only pull them out to eat the strings off of them (sigh).

Does he have more drive since we've learned to tug? Yes. But is his drive even stronger knowing he has food at the end? Yes. So, I use tug then give him what he really wants. Food. Because if I use ONLY tug.....he gets disappointed and his willingness/drive goes WAY down and FAST!

This is my 2 cents for what worked and didn't work for me. Strangely enough, he loves to tug on his leash, but it's typically only when he's playing, NOT when he's working.

awesome work!!
The leash thing is why I bought a tugging leash.. I think Toffee will even tug on that when we are out and about.. he has not started to tug outside of home much until last two classes.. because he doesn't like to tug when he is feeling sinecure.. so I want to take something with me and try it every where I go.. to build more of it..
It is fascinating thing.. building drive :)
 
awesome work!!
The leash thing is why I bought a tugging leash.. I think Toffee will even tug on that when we are out and about.. he has not started to tug outside of home much until last two classes.. because he doesn't like to tug when he is feeling sinecure.. so I want to take something with me and try it every where I go.. to build more of it..
It is fascinating thing.. building drive :)

Can you post a link to a "tugging leash"? I'd love to see what it is. He's basically ruined his regular leash. And his slip lead is those English kind so it's holding up so far. But it was so expensive! lol.
 
The idea is to play off the dog's prey drive.

This is my thoughts on shelties and tugging. Herding drive is prey drive muted before the bite and kill stage. The stalk and chase is still there not the grab and kill which would be bad form for a herding dog. Some shelties just don't wanted to bite down on the tug and if they are discouraged at all the bite inhibition following the chase becomes greater. So you really have to work hard with some dogs to get any success with tugging.

BTW I tried the tug with the bait pouch with Ember and she actually grabbed it and held on and followed it when I threw it WITHOUT ducking. A miracle. :lol: I am going a get the mesh bait pouch for her. I think she may like that alot. She sees it as food not a toy which is more motiving for her.:smile2:
 
I am slowly building Sammy's retriever side and Che's tugging. Few days ago Sammy wound not touch the ball, today she picks up toys in her mouth on her own... Che did not care for his toys before but for the last 2 weeks started bringing me his toys to " tuggy"
It is a process....
I think I read it at Susan Garrett blog to name the game "tuggy" and do it as any other... Che is quite enthusiastic about it now...
Che is also getting much better at fetching his toys and putting in my hand... we will make a retriever out of him yet...
 
I am slowly building Sammy's retriever side and Che's tugging. Few days ago Sammy wound not touch the ball, today she picks up toys in her mouth on her own... Che did not care for his toys before but for the last 2 weeks started bringing me his toys to " tuggy"
It is a process....
I think I read it at Susan Garrett blog to name the game "tuggy" and do it as any other... Che is quite enthusiastic about it now...
Che is also getting much better at fetching his toys and putting in my hand... we will make a retriever out of him yet...

That's awesome!
It really is a work in progress :)
 
Back
Top