Agility toy must haves?

This is my thoughts on shelties and tugging. Herding drive is prey drive muted before the bite and kill stage. The stalk and chase is still there not the grab and kill which would be bad form for a herding dog. Some shelties just don't wanted to bite down on the tug and if they are discouraged at all the bite inhibition following the chase becomes greater. So you really have to work hard with some dogs to get any success with tugging.

BTW I tried the tug with the bait pouch with Ember and she actually grabbed it and held on and followed it when I threw it WITHOUT ducking. A miracle. :lol: I am going a get the mesh bait pouch for her. I think she may like that alot. She sees it as food not a toy which is more motiving for her.:smile2:

Exactly! Duncan has such good bite inhibition (most times!) that he just sort of mouths the tug unless I pass the end in front of his nose a few times and don't let him get to it until he obviously really wants it. I think he might be happier without the tugging and more of the chase the toy game.

I'm glad you are getting success from Ember's training. If Duncan weren't head over heels for food, I don't know what I'd do.
 
This is my thoughts on shelties and tugging. Herding drive is prey drive muted before the bite and kill stage. The stalk and chase is still there not the grab and kill which would be bad form for a herding dog. Some shelties just don't wanted to bite down on the tug and if they are discouraged at all the bite inhibition following the chase becomes greater. So you really have to work hard with some dogs to get any success with tugging.

So does this mean Bailey has a high prey drive since she loves to tug? If she actually caught that squirrel or bird, you think she'd hurt it?

The funny thing is Bailey never had a chewing problem. She didn't teeth on people and never chewed furniture, carpet, etc. She nipped at me once as a puppy. I scream "ow!" and that was it. She never tried again.
 
This is my thoughts on shelties and tugging. Herding drive is prey drive muted before the bite and kill stage. The stalk and chase is still there not the grab and kill which would be bad form for a herding dog. Some shelties just don't wanted to bite down on the tug and if they are discouraged at all the bite inhibition following the chase becomes greater. So you really have to work hard with some dogs to get any success with tugging.

Miko must be the strangest dog alive. He is a huge tugger. He loves to tug tugh tug. More so than Koji (heck, Miko tugs Koji around). He'll put his entire body into tugging and absolutely loves it (I love when he starts to growl). But when it comes to biting, he doesn't ever ever bite. No matter how rough I play or how much he bites at me, if he even bites anything, his bite immediately softens up. (but then, he also loves to play fetch, so maybe he is a strange dog). Hmm...so maybe he'd be a good herding dog. He can pull at their tails, but will never harm them. hehehe.

Koji on the other hand isn't a big tugger, but he'll take your fingers off if you give him food. He also will bite you if you play too rough. No bite control. Still haven't been able to fix it.

Maybe my dogs are just broken Shelties?
 
Miko must be the strangest dog alive. He is a huge tugger. He loves to tug tugh tug. More so than Koji (heck, Miko tugs Koji around). He'll put his entire body into tugging and absolutely loves it (I love when he starts to growl). But when it comes to biting, he doesn't ever ever bite. No matter how rough I play or how much he bites at me, if he even bites anything, his bite immediately softens up. (but then, he also loves to play fetch, so maybe he is a strange dog). Hmm...so maybe he'd be a good herding dog. He can pull at their tails, but will never harm them. hehehe.

Koji on the other hand isn't a big tugger, but he'll take your fingers off if you give him food. He also will bite you if you play too rough. No bite control. Still haven't been able to fix it.

Maybe my dogs are just broken Shelties?
Just some insights into my dogs:
Ember has no/little prey drive or herding drive but she has a huge food drive. She'll not bite down unless its food and then she'll take your fingers off if your not careful. She knows better but you need to remind her. She doesn't need the chase part to became interested in a prey item so I don't know if food drive is always the same as prey drive.
Ember needed alot of bite inhibition training with food but not much with people.

Justice is a natural retriever and has good not great herding instict. He would chase anything and pick up anything as even a small pup and bring it back to you. At first, he would grab a tug hard and try to wrestle it away from you. I worked hard on bite inhibition and release the retrieved items so I think his lack of tugging is learned. Now he will bite down some on a tug but if you get too forceful he lets go. He also will bite fingers if not careful but not as bad as Ember despite all the bite training I did. I think if I hadn't done so much obedience with him before starting agility and trying to get him to tug he would have been really good at it. I would say he has the highest prey drive of my dogs and has actually caught and killed a rabbit in my backyard.:(

Diva has great herding drive, the best any of my dogs. She would spend all day gathering and pushing around other animals and people if they let her. She loves the chase would lightly nip the back of your legs and has good natural retrieving skills but it is the motion that does it for her. She is a ball fiend. She didn't always bring back what is thrown but always chases it. At first if it wasn't moving she wasn't interested. At first she would grab the tug but not bite down hard. I did nothing to discourage her from biting down on a dumbbell, tug or tennis ball. Actually I had to teach her to hold a dumbbell and bite down using a clicker. I never forced her to give up an item like Justice, I just stopped playing and she'd drop it. It didn't take long as it was rewarding. When we started agility they wanted us to use a tug which she got really good at but when we started running with it she focused on my legs and chasing me then at the tug. She still has problems when I'm moving but if I'm standing still she is a good tugger. I did no bite inhibition with her at all and she has the softiest mouth and never gets grabby with food. She chases rabbits and such but I don't think she'd know what to do with one if she caught it.

In contrast, Jazz was a JRT/beagle. Huge Prey drive. If she chased something it was with one purpose to bite it and kill it. The only thing she didn't chase was cats because the first cat she saw was Stretch, who was spawn of the devil and she boxed her in the eye several times instead of running. She loved tug toys would hang from them ,growl and ,spin like an alligator. She charged my roomates chichilla hutch once and hit it with her head and dented it trying to get the small furry inside. Picture Velociraptor in Jurassic Park.:eek2: Loved frisbee and chasing balls. I worked really hard on her bite inhibition, she had the softness mouth and once she got her toenail stuck in a kennel door and bit me 5 times before I got her loose and I didn't have a mark on my arm. So bite inhibition alone doesn't cause a dog not to tug or not..
 
Last edited:
Here's an insight into Bailey...she's an interesting one and sounds a lot like K9Kreationz's Miko

She always had a very good bite inhibition. She was never a chewer. She never chewed the rug, wood, carpet or furniture. She only destroyed one toy as a puppy. When teething, she nipped at me once. I screamed "OW!" and she never tried again. When playing, she doesn't even play bite. She is very gentle when taking treats from your hand. However, a few times she found food off the floor (one was a hot dog in the park). She wouldn't responded to "drop it", so I had to go into her mouth with my hands. She did nip me when I took it out, but I believe she was going for the hot dog and not me. She lunges and barks at everything that moves: bicycles, joggers, balls, loud cars (we are working on it and she has gotten better). She also chases and barks at squirrels and birds. I'm not sure what she would do if she ever caught one. She did meet a rabbit at the vet. He was in a cage. Bailey sniffed the cage and then went into a puppy bow and barked.
Without any training, Bailey loves to tug. She will bring a toy to you and, shake it to death and then drop it at your feet, so you play tug with her. She also loves to fetch and will always bring the ball back to you. She will ask to play fetch. Randomly throughout the day, she will bring you her ball, drop it at your feet, then look up at you and bark once. She's also loves treats, so it's easy to train her with treats. She'll even work for her kibble.
 
Hmm...thought I would take a second to analyze my dogs' instincts.

Bentley:
Loves to chase. His love of agility started because he loves to run with us and chase us. I can't do more of a walk in the house without having him up and running after me (and usually barking). It's definitely a huge herding thing. Luckily, he knows to stop when I do. On the agility field, it's different. If I stop or ask him to do something too many times, he starts to herd and jump up on me. He has bitten Jonathan's shorts before.

He does NOT take treats nicely if it's something good. We're working on it, but you end up getting a little bite from those shark err I mean sheltie teeth. I mean he's never broken the skin or anything, but he has made my finger red before.

He has a strong prey drive when it comes to running people, cats, and bikes. But, if I throw a toy, he will just stare at me. I think he loses interest before I even throw it. I also have a little remote controlled mouse that Lexi loves to bark at and chase, and he just wants to bark at Lexi. Bentley will tug if I make him, but he loses interest quickly and it seems to really amplify his herding drive, so I really don't use it much in agility.

Lexi, on the other hand, loves to tug and fetch. She will also herd me if I run (mostly I can redirect her). But, she doesn't chase bikes or cars. She also has sharky teeth when it comes to food, but she will take it nicely if I remind her.

So I'm not sure if there's a definite correlation between herding/prey drive/biting etc...
 
Hmm.. Romeo picks things up all the time and will play some tug indoors (tho not the most exciting thing for him) but you really got to get him into it or he would not clamp down tho he wont tug at all outdoors. I found that getting him to bark before running a course gets him going.

I don't know if I overdid the control training coz you can throw toys and food around and even at him and he won't bat an eyelid. Unless there is competition of course! He'll drop toys if I cue him to easily too.

I wonder if this suggests that for puppy training one should work to increase the drives instead of dampening them down??? I'm doing that with Juliet now so we'll see. She loves to chase and will tug but doesn't love it. Never had to train soft mouth with Juliet but she will chomp down on a tug.
 
Hmm.. Romeo picks things up all the time and will play some tug indoors (tho not the most exciting thing for him) but you really got to get him into it or he would not clamp down tho he wont tug at all outdoors. I found that getting him to bark before running a course gets him going.

I don't know if I overdid the control training coz you can throw toys and food around and even at him and he won't bat an eyelid. Unless there is competition of course! He'll drop toys if I cue him to easily too.

I wonder if this suggests that for puppy training one should work to increase the drives instead of dampening them down??? I'm doing that with Juliet now so we'll see. She loves to chase and will tug but doesn't love it. Never had to train soft mouth with Juliet but she will chomp down on a tug.

I am with you there!
I taught Toffee too quickly to drop it, now he drops everything 5 feet away from me, without fail! :(
I think the driving for it is super important, and I am glad I inadvertently did some of it, for tugging... it was much easier to get him started on it again, AND I let him tug on the leash, when he is being frisky, and we make a game out of it.. Mind you I say enough and he leaves it, which I love
 
Back
Top