Another newbie question for the old timers

I think we need to make the distinction between intact and non-intact females and males. I think its very different. So you might want to look beyond those comments if you plan to neuter.

For me, I love my boys! My first choice will always be a boy, I think.
 
I think we need to make the distinction between intact and non-intact females and males. I think its very different. So you might want to look beyond those comments if you plan to neuter.

For me, I love my boys! My first choice will always be a boy, I think.

Which comments do you disagree with?
 
I dont know what you mean? I dont disagree with any comments, I thought it was whether I neuter or spay. I would fix my pets for sure. I don't believe in backyard pet breeding. I do like purebred animals but I leave that up to professionals.

I know Justice is a beautiful boy, he is really smart, he is so well behaved and now he doesn't mark. I know I want a dog just like Justice, he is wonderful.
 
I dont know what you mean? I dont disagree with any comments, I thought it was whether I neuter or spay. I would fix my pets for sure. I don't believe in backyard pet breeding. I do like purebred animals but I leave that up to professionals.

I know Justice is a beautiful boy, he is really smart, he is so well behaved and now he doesn't mark. I know I want a dog just like Justice, he is wonderful.

Sorry my question wasn't clear.:smile2:

Barb said there should be a distinction between intact and altered females and males so that one should look beyond the comments. Just wondering what comments she thought were not accurate.:smile2:
 
Last edited:
Suzi lifted her leg to pee all the time. she never marked. and she was spayed.
but then, she was my ''one of a kind''
 
This thread has been fun to read!

With an all male household here,other than Mia,I prefer males.Always have,always will.

Mia is special needs,and I knew she would be spayed. As far as her "attitude"...my husband is her world. I think in her way,she loves me,but Brian is her world.

The rest of the clan,I can so relate to boys being clingy,as they certainly are here. And it was clear from the get go,that they would be.And I love that about them.
Trapp is the mommy magnet. Everywhere I am,he is. But being the first sheltie he has been a tad spoiled in that respect. He is intelligent,caring,and seems to read my mind at times. Very intuitive.

Jasper, much the same,but a little more aloof,but once he gets to know you,he is super.And really gutsy,and loves to cuddle.

Neither of these boys ever,ever would think to mark in the house.Nor have they anywheres they have gone to visit. Both were neutered the same day,over a year ago.

I will tell ya,though before they were neutered,Trapp's hormones were all over the place. We had food issues,refusing to eat,cranky,he would hump anything,and everything. (Poor dogs at gathering a yr.ago tried desperately to steer clear of him) He was in one word...annoying! One he was neutered,the behavior stopped.
 
I hate to say it but it sounds like this current pup is too far away for your situation right now. If you have caregiver responsibilities you can't be gone for that long. Three hours in a failing car sounds like an overly long drive. They might be willing to ship or if it's a rescue they might be able to organize something, but shipping can be tough for a puppy and coordinating rides across the country is a bit of a long shot. I am sure there are puppies and dogs nearer to you that need homes just as much.

I would suggest contacting breeders and rescues in your area that are within 7–8 hours. After doing this we eventually found a puppy within an hour and a half. But I did have to wait for 9 months and be very persistent. She is perfect.

Be prepared to wait. Waiting stinks but it is 100% worthwhile for the right puppy. Think about exactly what you want, including personality, age, sex, etc., and communicate that to the rescues/breeders. (The breeders around our area often are involved with rescues as well so they might be able to put you in touch as well.) Pay attention to what different breeders specialize in. As far as rescue, it might take a while for your right dog to come around but you have to have faith that it will happen.

Another thing to consider is that it's easier to get a puppy when it's not so cold outside. I got Buffy in the summer and I would definitely advise getting puppies in the spring or summer if possible. Makes potty training so much easier. It gets below zero here in the winter and I would be worried about the puppy going out.

Finally, male vs. female? I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I have a girl and she's wonderful. You just need to find the right pup for you.
 
Back
Top