Another newbie question for the old timers

I absolutely would not ship a dog on an airline. I would be terrified that I'd open the crate and would see a dead dog. I simply would not go there.

I also wonder if my male cat will buddy up to a male dog also, he really needs a friend, he so is a baby teddy bear.


We have 3 shelties and 2 cats. We had one sheltie and one cat initially. Both are now at the Rainbow Bridge. Had the cat first and she was old. Brought in the 5 yr old Sheltie and the cat "explained" to him that she was the Queen of Everything and that was that.

The cat was PTS at 26 years old. Really. Not a typo.

Then we added some more shelties and hubby needed some cats. So we got a pair of little kittens from the Humane Society. All shelties and cats are males. They get along just fine. One cat likes to snuggle with one of the dogs. It's hysterical!

I wouldn't worry about the cat/dog thing UNLESS you find a dog that doesn't like cats. Then you're just asking for trouble.

And THAT is why I would go to a rescue to find a sheltie. You will know if s/he will tolerate cats or if s/he wants to eat them!
 
My friend said to me I don't think people know how picky you are and I wouldn't tell anyone. I know I drive my friend crazy, when we shop for anything I can take a looooong time till I am satisfied. I read an entire menu top to bottom when we go out, I like to try new things and I like to choose wisely. I been looking for the perfect handbag for about 8 years now. I am using a 16 year old bag because I havent found "the one" yet.
Anyway I know I can take things too seriously and go overboard on my feelings about things I love but I know I want a dog just like this....

http://www.sheltiesonline.com/ad_archive_2012/alexa_101312.html

Now those eyes would make anyone fall in love with her, my goodness how does so much beauty come in this small package?

Does a dog like this cost a fortune? How did they pick a little one and know it would be so beautiful? Justice mom how did you know Justice would be so smart and handsome? Anyone know does the lineage carry into generations several branches out? I see some where guessing cousins and lineage, do you stick with particular breeders or dogs?
 
My friend said to me I don't think people know how picky you are and I wouldn't tell anyone. I know I drive my friend crazy, when we shop for anything I can take a looooong time till I am satisfied. I read an entire menu top to bottom when we go out, I like to try new things and I like to choose wisely. I been looking for the perfect handbag for about 8 years now. I am using a 16 year old bag because I havent found "the one" yet.
Anyway I know I can take things too seriously and go overboard on my feelings about things I love but I know I want a dog just like this....

http://www.sheltiesonline.com/ad_archive_2012/alexa_101312.html

Now those eyes would make anyone fall in love with her, my goodness how does so much beauty come in this small package?

Does a dog like this cost a fortune? How did they pick a little one and know it would be so beautiful? Justice mom how did you know Justice would be so smart and handsome? Anyone know does the lineage carry into generations several branches out? I see some where guessing cousins and lineage, do you stick with particular breeders or dogs?

Well, but here's the thing...

Love changes things. Confession time: I used to want a bi-black Sheltie more than anything. (I was ten.) I would use the Color Inheritance Charts to try to figure out which breedings we would have to do to get from our tri-factored sable bitch to a bi-black, and then go through the Pacesetter to find stud dogs that were the right color. (Like I said, I was ten.)

More mature minds prevailed, and our breeding program went on as it did. And then, when I was thirteen, I was given the best gift I have ever received - my dog, Mark. He was adorable and affectionate and devoted - and pure-for-sable!

Now I think the pure-for-sables are the prettiest, and my "dream dog" is (you guessed it) an adorable, affectionate, devoted, sable dog.

The moral of the story is that, in a way, you get the dog you get. When you choose a puppy to be a companion, it's a little like bringing a baby home from the hospital. Your baby might grow up to be a medical doctor-plus-Olympic swimmer-plus-leader of the free world. Or she might not, because you can't predict those things. You're going to love that baby just the same.

Yes, it's a little different when we pick show dogs (and if you're asking, the really good show dogs, especially bitches, don't tend to be sold outright to anyone). As you learn, and as you look at a lot of dogs of all ages, you get better at "picking" puppies, though luck (good and bad) plays a part.

But truly - sometimes you have to just trust your breeder, close your eyes, and jump in. You're going to do your best to raise an awesome dog, and in the end, you're going to love him or her, and with that love, you'll begin to see that your dog really is the most beautiful Sheltie imaginable.
 
and if you're asking, the really good show dogs, especially bitches, don't tend to be sold outright to anyone
Isn't that the truth! I only have the BC bitch I have because a good breeder friend had faith in me and what all I had done with my dogs and wanted me to have the best dog I could get my hands on. The bitch I was given is exceptional.
 
Well, but here's the thing...

Love changes things. Confession time: I used to want a bi-black Sheltie more than anything. (I was ten.) I would use the Color Inheritance Charts to try to figure out which breedings we would have to do to get from our tri-factored sable bitch to a bi-black, and then go through the Pacesetter to find stud dogs that were the right color. (Like I said, I was ten.)

More mature minds prevailed, and our breeding program went on as it did. And then, when I was thirteen, I was given the best gift I have ever received - my dog, Mark. He was adorable and affectionate and devoted - and pure-for-sable!

Now I think the pure-for-sables are the prettiest, and my "dream dog" is (you guessed it) an adorable, affectionate, devoted, sable dog.

The moral of the story is that, in a way, you get the dog you get. When you choose a puppy to be a companion, it's a little like bringing a baby home from the hospital. Your baby might grow up to be a medical doctor-plus-Olympic swimmer-plus-leader of the free world. Or she might not, because you can't predict those things. You're going to love that baby just the same.

Yes, it's a little different when we pick show dogs (and if you're asking, the really good show dogs, especially bitches, don't tend to be sold outright to anyone). As you learn, and as you look at a lot of dogs of all ages, you get better at "picking" puppies, though luck (good and bad) plays a part.

But truly - sometimes you have to just trust your breeder, close your eyes, and jump in. You're going to do your best to raise an awesome dog, and in the end, you're going to love him or her, and with that love, you'll begin to see that your dog really is the most beautiful Sheltie imaginable.

Megan...I sincerely mean this. You are so wise,you guide us here by your informative posts.I truely admire you,and your mom.
Thank you~
 
Justice mom how did you know Justice would be so smart and handsome? Anyone know does the lineage carry into generations several branches out? I see some where guessing cousins and lineage, do you stick with particular breeders or dogs?

I didn't. :smile2: I was not even looking for a sheltie but was on a waiting list for a red male Doberman.:lol:

I worked with Justice's breeder. I only knew shelties from her dogs and I thought they were boring. :lol: She brought the litter in at 7 weeks for exams. When I picked Justice out of the kennel he came right out. He stood so still and proud, he never fussed, he didn't make a peep and when I looked into his eyes he looked back right into my soul. My heart melted. But he was sold to a family in the Bahamas. :(

Dogs need to be 6 months old to go to the island. While he was being grown out, the husband got very sick, his future very uncertain so they decided to pass on the puppy. I got an email when Justice was 11 weeks old that he was available. I took him for a trial run and called 2 hours later saying she was never getting him back. Ironicly the husband made a full recovery shortly after.

Same happened with Birch. He was supposed to be a bi blue. But he seemed to be mine right from the beginning. He had everything on my list of things to look for except he was going to be oversized(still hope here) and he was blue merle. He may never be my dream show dog but I don't regret getting him for one minute.

Like Megan said love is blind and sometimes your lucky. I think we are meant to get the dogs we get, when it seems right it likely is.
 
I also think you have to trust in serendipity. I found my breeder through an online search in three states. I found one of the top breeders in the US, and she had two litters! After a phone interview, she invited me up to meet the Shelties. When I arrived, she placed a lovely little sable girl in my arms and said, "This is the puppy I have selected for you." I was in love. That was Layla, who is my heart dog and love of my life.
 

Attachments

  • 0601280023.jpg
    0601280023.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 22
I also think you have to trust in serendipity. I found my breeder through an online search in three states. I found one of the top breeders in the US, and she had two litters! After a phone interview, she invited me up to meet the Shelties. When I arrived, she placed a lovely little sable girl in my arms and said, "This is the puppy I have selected for you." I was in love. That was Layla, who is my heart dog and love of my life.


squeeeeee baby Layla...
awww, so it really was fate :D
 
Michele, you are too sweet... honestly, it's just one of those things that I believe in. When it comes to companion dogs, love really does win out. :hugs

heck, it gets even us hard-bitten show breeders! We have a boy named Linus. He's a lovely, balanced dog with a very handsome head... and terrible skin allergies. He's neutered and was never bred, and will never, ever leave, for no better reason than that he is the kindest little dog and we love him.

We don't keep them all, because frankly, we can't. We find the best-possible homes for the young dogs who don't turn out, and have had wonderful luck in finding great families for them. But once in a while, you end up with a little pet dog. I suspect that there are many quite-serious breeders who have a "Linus" of their own at home.
 
Beau obviously is a male dog, but, unlike what some have described, he's really not all that clingy, I think he's pretty well balanced in his behavior, the only time he's really clingy is during storms other than that, not so much, we practice what being "independent together" sometimes he wants me, sometimes he doesn't, sometimes he sees me coming to give him a hug or belly rub and he will get up and go to the closet(where momma doesn't go). He doesn't lift his leg on me, nor does he hump. I guess it depends on the pup

And like layla is her moms heart dog, Beau is mine.
 
Back
Top