Are they over weight?

Well,I appreciate everyones input. Some of the folks that have responded,have indeed met the boys,and so they are well aware of thier build.

Trapp is definately the heavier boned of the two,and is very athletic in his own way. But with that said,they are over weight..
It just was astounding to me,that especially Trapp had packed on so much weight this winter.

Jasper does not remotely look like he weighs what he does.And to lift him and carry him,is not even close to what it is to pick up Trapp. But I had noticed a bit of struggle on Trapp's part to jump on the bed,hence the weigh in the other night.

With Mia,she is so very fine boned in every sense. So as well we are concerned,as she is not active at all

So the diets have started,and we will stay on course with it until they loose some substancial weight.
Substituting green beans,cauliflower & broccoli. They love,love the broccoli & cauliflower most.
We have also taken close look at fat & protien levels,and they needed to be changed.

Brian had read about Nutrisource dog food,and pointed it out to me. So we are going to give it a whirl. It is not here yet,so we will keep everyone posted.
 
Well,started today on cut backs for all 3 of the shelties. Cut back kibble by half,and gave frozen green beans to all.

We will get this under control,I know. It did not take long for Earnhardt,and this issue to will resolve.

I nearly had a stroke,and just shocked to the weight gain. These boys have always maintained right at 20 & 21#. Jasper was always a pound or so more.

He is very lean even looking at him,compared to Trapp right now. Its so strange to,as Jasper is built very differant than his half brother.

And yes Dawn,it is the same scale,and it is accurate. As I weigh myself on it,prior to my check ups at doctors office.

Trapp just had a complete check up,and everything was fine.Nothing in the slightest to give Dr. Mac any indication of thyroid problems.

Jasper & Mia are both due here directly,and will for sure make it sooner than later.
I will also offer other fillers such as pumpkin,broccoli,other veggies. They both did well this morning eating thier rations..
hopefully I don't get to many sad sheltie eyes begging for food.And Earnhardt does not teach his methods to counter surfing:wink2:

Even though the scale is accurate for you, it may not be accurate for something as light as a <50# dog. At my vet, they have a stand-on scale and a baby scale. The stand-on always says different than the baby scale, which is far more accurate. I weigh mine on small pet scales as often as I can (fortunately my local feed store provides one). Even when holding my dogs and stepping on my scale, their weight has been up to several lbs off upon arriving at the vet. I don't understand why this is, but it's always been the case for me.
 
Even though the scale is accurate for you, it may not be accurate for something as light as a <50# dog. At my vet, they have a stand-on scale and a baby scale. The stand-on always says different than the baby scale, which is far more accurate. I weigh mine on small pet scales as often as I can (fortunately my local feed store provides one). Even when holding my dogs and stepping on my scale, their weight has been up to several lbs off upon arriving at the vet. I don't understand why this is, but it's always been the case for me.

The best way to handle this and to weigh a dog at home is to first weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding your dog. Subtract the difference for your dogs weight.
 
The best way to handle this and to weigh a dog at home is to first weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding your dog. Subtract the difference for your dogs weight.

Right that's exactly how I do it when I mentioned holding my dogs. I try to do this with the cats also, but for some reason it's still a few lbs off the less the weight of the animal is. I just go to the vet for monthly weigh-ins because I need it down to the ounce. My boys are underweight, and gave been for a while..it's probably the metabolism. Once they are neutered hopefully they will fill in.
 
The best way to handle this and to weigh a dog at home is to first weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding your dog. Subtract the difference for your dogs weight.

Right that's exactly how I do it when I mentioned holding my dogs. I try to do this with the cats also, but for some reason it's still a few lbs off the less the weight of the animal is.

That's weird, thats how I always weigh my dogs and I've never found my scale to be off even a pound. Maybe you need to consider getting a new scale?
 
Right that's exactly how I do it when I mentioned holding my dogs. I try to do this with the cats also, but for some reason it's still a few lbs off the less the weight of the animal is. I just go to the vet for monthly weigh-ins because I need it down to the ounce. My boys are underweight, and gave been for a while..it's probably the metabolism. Once they are neutered hopefully they will fill in.

I don't think Michele needs it down to an ounce, so weighing her dogs on her personal scale is probably fine for her situation.

In regards to your scale being off by lbs....I'd get a new one :wink2: That should not be.
 
I used to weigh my cat that way with me holding him and than subtracting the difference. Which was accurate. Now I use a shipping scale for everyone. It is accurate as I get the same weight even down to the oz between my house and the vets scale.
 
The best way to handle this and to weigh a dog at home is to first weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding your dog. Subtract the difference for your dogs weight.

Exactly what we do.

The scale is accurate,even I weigh the dogs at home before I go take them to the vet.
I weigh the same here at home,as what I do at doctors.So its not the scale.
 
Don't rely on the vet's scales to be accurate either. Tinsel, in one week, weighed 26 plus lbs at one vet's office, 24 plus lbs at another vet's office and 22 plus lbs at the third vet's office. Phoebe, whose weight is always between 15.2 and 15.6 was showing at 14.6 at our vet's pre them doing a renovation. Once the scale was moved and reset, sure enough she is 15.6 lbs. BTW, Phoebe doesn't move a muscle when she is on the scale thanks to her show training. Seldom do the numbers change once I give her her cue to show. Tech's love it!
 
Besides cutting back on food, don't forget to increase their exercise if you can. One more walk a day can be the difference of losing a few pounds.

Bailey is about Mia's size. She's around 13.5 to 14 inches tall and weighs 13.5-14 pounds (she fluctuates). She is the same age as your boys and her weight has not increased. I guess some lines have faster or lower metabolisms. ::fingers crossed:: I didn't just jinx Bailey!

Bailey eats about 1/2 cup of food a day (split into two meals) and gets treats on top of that. About 1/4 a string cheese, 10 mini zukes, some little stars, turkey hot dogs, etc... every day.

She also get a 1 mile walk twice a day. Plus, 15 minutes of fetch, some tugging, a treat dispensing toy and agility class once a week.

I think decreasing a little food (remember the more you decrease the less nutrients they get, so you don't want to decrease too much) and increasing exercise is most effective. Good luck and give us an update in a few weeks.
 
Back
Top