At what age do they begin to jump (on or off furniture)

Chase is 21 weeks now and jumps on everything! He even jumps onto the kitchen table. :/ He started attempting when we brought him home at 14 weeks but really got the hang of it are 16 weeks and the rest is history! :yes:
 
Vash likes to sit on the couch, when he was 2 months old I'd bring him up and put him on my lap while I was sitting there. At 4 months old he decided that he would climb onto the couch on his own, and he'd get off of it as soon as I'd grab a toy he wanted, or sat up there with him.

But jumping on and off furniture is something individualized per dog and per owner. If you get your dog comfortable with the idea of being on a peice of furniture, chances are he's going to jump up on it when ever he can, or gets the oppertunity.

Getting off the furniture, well that requires a little bit of courage on your dogs part. It's like climbing onto the roof of your house and looking down to realize the ladders fallen away.

Most dogs I've seen will spend a little time trying to figure out how to get down safely and eventually they'll jump down, especially if theres something good for them on the floor (treat).

As for Vash...well he likes to jump. He'll jump at fire fly's, he loves going up and down stairs..Heck the other day at puppy class he jumped up on a folding chair that was next to me and gave me some puppy kisses. Everyones elses dogs were on the floor laying down.. I'm still debating if I was embarassed because he wasn't on the floor laying down, or proud because he jumped up on the chair and gave me a kiss.
 
I know that when we put the big Thomas the tomato pillow in with the puppies around 3 weeks old they start trying to climb it right away. Not sure when they start using it as a perch, trampoline, and vault but they get pretty vigorous with it...and then they push it around the great room to use it to bounce up onto the couch....I think the youngest "bounce to the couch" was Sapphire at around 5 weeks old.
 
I believe Che was about 11-12 weeks when he climbed over 3 foot plastic x pen, today he jumped over 4 foot metal xpen so I guess I better put it away so he does not injure himself... we never minded him on any furniture and he became flying sheltie real fast, I think he was about 15 weeks when he was easily jumping on and off taller sofas and chairs... but then he is tall boy...
 
Jasper is 7 months old,and has'nt even thought about jumping on furniture.We lift him if he wants up.

Trapp will not jump on or off our bed,as it is quite high.Although he has been jumping on sofa & patio furniture now since he was about 6 months old.In one living room,it's all hardwood floors,he will get up on sofa in there,but did not jump down until a rug was put there.

Hear yee..hear yee..An announcement...

For the first time ever Trapp jumped up on the bed tonite.Surprised the dickens out of me.And he had height in his jump enough to clear another bed probably. I think he was just wanting to be lifted.Silly pup!
 
Why jump when someone can do the work for you? Good for Trapp for finally realizing he can do it on his own. How high did you jump when this happened?
 
Zak just learned to jump on and off the bed about a month ago and he was I think 6 months when he jumped on and off the sofa but now we have to watch him as when he now leaps on the sofa he almost goes over the back of it!!! He was even able to jump on the bed with his crown on which to me is amazing since he is still a puppy at 8 months. He is funny with jumping down though you can really see him thinking it out before he leaps.
 
Why jump when someone can do the work for you? Good for Trapp for finally realizing he can do it on his own. How high did you jump when this happened?

Sadie was trying to jump up on the couch immediately. I think she succeeded when she was approx. 12 weeks old.

Ginny on the other hand had no desire to try and jump on the couch by herself. Why would she, when it was so much easier to sweetly lie her head on the couch next to someone, wag her tail and be picked up.

I taught her how to jump up when she was 7 months old, but she still wouldn't do it.

At 9 months old we stopped picking her up and instead started encouraging her. When she realized she had to try we helped her as she jumped a few times, then she was doing it on her own without difficulty.

Our bed is too high for her. She makes it some times but more often she doesn't. We lift her up on our bed and plan on making her a step some time soon.
 
Back
Top