Bad Habits Being Shared

When I decided to get Juliet I made it a point to work on Romeo's problems. His main one was reactivity to dogs on leash. At the time just before I brought Juliet home, Romeo was not sound sensitive (he slept through thunderstorms, didn't care about noises outside the house, etc) and he was reeeeally good when he saw other dogs while walking on leash.

BUT that changed very quickly with Juliet's arrival. Romeo changed. And I think it was largely due to the fact that Juliet is far more sound sensitive and I also walked them together. Romeo started reacting to thunder and noises outside the house (ironically, Juliet is better than Romeo with thunder now with training even Romeo gets the same training).. :rolleyes2:) Romeo's reactivity to dogs went up as well because it was just friggin' hard to control 2 dogs (one goes off and the other will - and while Juliet doesn't care about other dogs when on leash, she does bark, ALOT). So THAT had to be retrained (now better!).

What was it they like to say about the best laid plans.. SIGH!

So, moral of the story - don't worry about it. You'll work it out/train/manage whatever comes your way with the new pup!
 
When I decided to get Juliet I made it a point to work on Romeo's problems. His main one was reactivity to dogs on leash. At the time just before I brought Juliet home, Romeo was not sound sensitive (he slept through thunderstorms, didn't care about noises outside the house, etc) and he was reeeeally good when he saw other dogs while walking on leash.

BUT that changed very quickly with Juliet's arrival. Romeo changed. And I think it was largely due to the fact that Juliet is far more sound sensitive and I also walked them together. Romeo started reacting to thunder and noises outside the house (ironically, Juliet is better than Romeo with thunder now with training even Romeo gets the same training).. :rolleyes2:) Romeo's reactivity to dogs went up as well because it was just friggin' hard to control 2 dogs (one goes off and the other will - and while Juliet doesn't care about other dogs when on leash, she does bark, ALOT). So THAT had to be retrained (now better!).

What was it they like to say about the best laid plans.. SIGH!

So, moral of the story - don't worry about it. You'll work it out/train/manage whatever comes your way with the new pup!

lol, yep, sounds right
Spruce didn't pick up any of Toffee's good habits, but sure enough the bad ones!
However they're not as hard to manage together as I thought, but it definitely needs one on one time and sometimes I don't give enough!
 
My dogs have an opinion on everything, and are very eager to vocalize it!

I have brought several well-mannered and QUIET fosters into my home, who quickly learned to join the cacophony.

I can't count how many calls I have received from adopters stating that they are concerned because their adopted Sheltie hasn't yet barked . . .

My gut reaction is to respond "Oh, be thankful for that", but I always tell them that their dog will come around when it is settled. And it has always happened that way - I will get a call saying "She barked today!"

On the upside, my dogs have helped the shy fosters adapt and learn the routine better than I could teach them myself. Many of the fosters have learned the sit command for their treats, by watching my dogs. And even if the new fosters have never seen stairs in a house before, they quickly learn to follow mine up and down. The same with learning to come back inside - they just follow the pack.

I truly think that multiple dogs in a household is good for them, as they are pack animals inherently. I work fulltime, but I know they play during the day and keep each other entertained, judging by the toys and dog beds strewn around when I get home.

I cannot imagine living with only one dog - I have come to love the chaos:lol:
 
We started an obedience class last week with our Eskie. I didn't want to bring our new puppy home to pick up on all of his bad habits. We have just had one class so far, but the change in Milo is surprising.

I think it is more of retraining us to be the Alpha than anything else. Milo has severe leash aggression and barking problems. I walked him yesterday afternoon and he did well (of course when I went we didn't see any other dogs) This morning my husband did his usual walk and he was able to control the behavior.

I think Milo is learning he is not the alpha and that will change him for the better.
 
Back
Top