Bad news for Little Bear : (

So sorry to hear about little Bear. I disagree dogs can get sick from Samonella poisoning. My Chandler got very sick last year after eating contaminated treats. He had already been having a tough year and his immune system was definitely low which did not help him fight it.

That's so sad/scary for you! I've never heard of this disease. I'm becoming terrified of ticks, though. Such awful little critters!

Also, on the salmonella front, I agree. It's rare for humans or dogs to get sick with Salmonella. BUT if your dog/human is old or immune compromised then you betcha they can get it. I am not sure how immune compromised you'd have to be as my foster ate plenty of raw meat and we found out he had cancer a few months later -- he never got ill from it but it does/can happen. It's certainly not something to just brush aside because say you just vaccinated your dog (just one example) and his immune system is dealing with that and you feed him contaminated food -- he could get sick.
 
So sorry to hear about little Bear. I disagree dogs can get sick from Samonella poisoning. My Chandler got very sick last year after eating contaminated treats. He had already been having a tough year and his immune system was definitely low which did not help him fight it.

So, does that mean that if your dog has a weak immune system they shouldn't eat raw? I was considering starting mine on raw but since LB may have a drop in WBC he may be more susceptible to ailments and diseases, too.
 
That's so sad/scary for you! I've never heard of this disease. I'm becoming terrified of ticks, though. Such awful little critters!

Also, on the salmonella front, I agree. It's rare for humans or dogs to get sick with Salmonella. BUT if your dog/human is old or immune compromised then you betcha they can get it. I am not sure how immune compromised you'd have to be as my foster ate plenty of raw meat and we found out he had cancer a few months later -- he never got ill from it but it does/can happen. It's certainly not something to just brush aside because say you just vaccinated your dog (just one example) and his immune system is dealing with that and you feed him contaminated food -- he could get sick.

Oh! I thought Salmonella was like E.Coli in the respect that most dogs weren't bothered by it but it was very dangerous for people...I didn't know people didn't normally get sick from Salmonella. Everyone always makes such a big deal about handling chicken, reptiles, etc.
 
Salmonella infections are very dangerous for people, especially the sick, the very young, the very old, and those with compromised immune systems or taking immunosupressive drugs. The deal is that not all chickens, eggs, reptiles, etc are carriers. So, one day you might eat an undercooked egg and be fine, and another egg from the same carton could be contaminated and make you ill.

A number of years ago, I helped my son make an Easter egg tree. One had to make holes in both ends of a raw egg and blow out (with your mouth!) the innards. Being a biologist, I washed the eggs in lysol first, but unfortunately, I should have used bleach. Both he and I were violently ill. My poor daughter, only 5 at the time, ran wastebasket barf bucket detail for two days. :ick I don't recommend salmonella for anyone! Unfortunately, there is no way to just 'look' at a chicken, etc and know whether or not it is a carrier. Salmonella is killed by cooking, provided juices run clear (not pink) in chickens, or in eggs, the yolk must be completely solid. If you have a pet turtle etc, careful handwashing will solve the problem. (don't cook your turtle! :lol:)
 
Actually, gastric problems including vomiting and diarrhea were on the list of symptoms for Anaplasma. I feed them Orijen, and I was training them with Bil-Jac liver treats. I'll have to look into if that's been recalled. However, the whole salmonella issue isn't going to make dogs sick (ppl feed their dogs raw chicken all the time)-it's just a cross contamination issue. ( At least that's the info I was given today). But I'm not sure about any other recalls right now. I'm going to do some research right now.

It sounds like what you've been feeding LB shouldn't have caused any issues. Do you feed Claussen the same food? I ask, because when Koji got sick, I had just started a new bag of Orijen too. I returned it only because I wasn't sure what it was.

The Bil-Jac should be fine. Right now, for treats, it's the chicken jerky and sweet potato that is causing issues.

How's LB doing today?
 
It sounds like what you've been feeding LB shouldn't have caused any issues. Do you feed Claussen the same food? I ask, because when Koji got sick, I had just started a new bag of Orijen too. I returned it only because I wasn't sure what it was.

The Bil-Jac should be fine. Right now, for treats, it's the chicken jerky and sweet potato that is causing issues.

How's LB doing today?

No issues yet today. Claussen had nasty diarrhea yesterday-but he never gets explosive diarrhea like Little Bear does. It seems any time LB gets upset stomach, his diarrhea is always violent. Interesting that you say "new bag" because this is a new bag of Orijen (same flavor-regional red). The first poop that Claussen does is hard, but the next-comes like 20 minutes later will be runny and have gelatinous material in it. Maybe I should take the bag back. So frustrating.
 
No issues yet today. Claussen had nasty diarrhea yesterday-but he never gets explosive diarrhea like Little Bear does. It seems any time LB gets upset stomach, his diarrhea is always violent. Interesting that you say "new bag" because this is a new bag of Orijen (same flavor-regional red). The first poop that Claussen does is hard, but the next-comes like 20 minutes later will be runny and have gelatinous material in it. Maybe I should take the bag back. So frustrating.

Ew. Poor thing. Since Claussen isn't doing so well either, I'd put both on chicken and rice and return the bag. Just make sure the lot numbers are different. I also called Orijen, but never got through to them and no returned call either.

Hope they get better real soon. I hate having to constantly wash their behinds. ;)
 
I'd be checking Claussen for Giardia and Coccidiea because of the mucous you are witnessing. Sorry you are going through this. BTW, if any of you have ladybug or asian beetles around, watch your dogs for eating them. I spent over a thousand dollars one year testing dogs that were vomiting and had diareahha. Everything appeared normal. I went over to see the vet I used to work for to talk to him about it and he asked me if I had ladybugs. Seems that if the dogs ingest them whole the toxins are released into the GI tract causing the symptoms I was getting. I went on a vaccuum any ladybugs craze and no more sick dogs! Wish I had talked to Jim sooner!
 
I'd be checking Claussen for Giardia and Coccidiea because of the mucous you are witnessing. Sorry you are going through this. BTW, if any of you have ladybug or asian beetles around, watch your dogs for eating them. I spent over a thousand dollars one year testing dogs that were vomiting and had diareahha. Everything appeared normal. I went over to see the vet I used to work for to talk to him about it and he asked me if I had ladybugs. Seems that if the dogs ingest them whole the toxins are released into the GI tract causing the symptoms I was getting. I went on a vaccuum any ladybugs craze and no more sick dogs! Wish I had talked to Jim sooner!

that is interesting- never heard of that- good to know:yes:
 
Actually, gastric problems including vomiting and diarrhea were on the list of symptoms for Anaplasma. I feed them Orijen, and I was training them with Bil-Jac liver treats. I'll have to look into if that's been recalled. However, the whole salmonella issue isn't going to make dogs sick (ppl feed their dogs raw chicken all the time)-it's just a cross contamination issue. ( At least that's the info I was given today). But I'm not sure about any other recalls right now. I'm going to do some research right now.

Mally eats Bil-Jac Select Adult Dog Food and absolutely loves it! Bil-Jac is fine, has never been on the recall list that I know of. Family owned company, making dog food from 1947. (I want to say from Ohio)

We have fed Mally Bil-Jac since 2007.
 
Back
Top