Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bald spot on tail & thinning fur on rear

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by shelbysdaddy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2019
    Thanks, I also printed it and put it with all of Cooper’s papers. :)

2. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Any chance you could post a pic of the bald spot so we can see its size and position?

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. shelbysdaddy

shelbysdaddy Forums Regular

Jun 8, 2019
    Hi, yes thank you, I just upgrade to premium so I could show you (plus a picture of her face so you can meet her):

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for the pictures! What a beauty Shelby is!

Maybe see a doggy dermatologist too. Thyroid is still my main concern.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. The Quahog

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    RikyR, Wendy C and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Shelby is a beautiful girl! I'd definitely ask your vet about stud tail...very interesting, never heard of it but sure looks like that might be it.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Dr. Mac, I learn so much from you - even if it's not something I'm dealing with. Thank you!

And, Shelby is a beautiful girl! What a sweet face. Hope you get to the bottom of the hair loss soon!

Wendy C likes this.
  8. shelbysdaddy

Jun 8, 2019
    Wow thanks -- Stud Tail looks like it must be exactly right! Do you have any experience treating it? She's had it for a while so I'm tempted to go straight to dog dermatologist rather than starting with anything on my own.

Also -- I found out that her thyroid T4 is 1.3 with a normal scale being 0.8-3.5 for this lab ("Antech Diagnostics"). So according to the Hemopet website, she is on the low end and probably needs thyroid replacement? Is it weird to have both the stud tail and hypothyroid at the same time?

Thanks everyone!

9. The Quahog

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Your profile pic is a great picture. Shows a lot of character.
    Honestly I hesitate to get involved further than making the suggestion to your veterinarian, as no one wants to hear of 'that guy on the internet who hasn't seen the dog but knows what he has and how to treat it.'
    And, frankly, I almost always DON'T treat it. Owners come in concerned about this big bald discolored patch on their dog's tail and I explain to them that it is an interesting curiosity but really of little clinical significance, just an area where there are a lot of oil glands and not many hair follicles.
    As always, other veterinarians' opinions may differ about whether treatment is in order, and I respect their expertise.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  10. shelbysdaddy

Jun 8, 2019
    Okay thought I would give everyone an update. Shelby's total T3 came back low (<40 and reference range is 45-150), free T3 came back borderline (1.8 and reference range is 1.7-5.3), and total T4 came back borderline (1.3, reference 0.8-5.3). The lab messed up the free T4 so we don't have a result. Auto-antibodies were normal. We took her to a dermatologist who thought it seemed like hypothyroid, so even though the tests were not a "slam dunk" we decided to start her on thyroid replacement. Now it's only been 2 weeks but I actually think she has a lot more energy and her fur is noticeably fluffier! It might take some time for the overcoat to regrow on the butt however so far I think I can see progress and it has only been 2 weeks ...
    IMG_20190906_191356.jpg
    IMG_20190906_192025.jpg

Ann, Hanne, ghggp and 2 others like this.