Being into dogs is "uncool" :(

Ashley I can only ditto what everyone else has said and I so understand where you are coming from. I am sure we have family and freinds that don't understand our love for our dogs but that is their loss. That is why we love this forum so much as we all understand our love and devotion.
 
So I know that I shouldn't even worry about this, but it's upsetting me and I thought I'd post here since there are so many others that care TONS about their dogs.

We recently had a falling out with our friends (VERY long story short, but the wife has a temper and she overreacted to a misunderstanding, but to save face refuses to speak to us ever again). It was very upsetting for my husband and I because they were in our wedding and we considered them good friends. We did everything we could to offer to talk about the issue, but they just said "okay" and we never heard from them again.

Now, one of their friends keeps posting rude things on Facebook indirectly related to us. I KNOW this is super immature, and that I should just laugh about it, but it hurts my feelings.

Today, he posted this to our old friend "You coming to the dog jumping competition this weekend?" just to make fun of us.

I love my dogs, and I love agility. I know it's not the popular choice (to hang out with dogs sometimes rather than people!), but it really hurt my feelings :(

Again, I realize this is silly and immature on their part, but we used to be so close to these people and they are just mocking something that they know we really love.

Any words of wisdom or encouragement?

I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this, but you really need to ignore them. They're not worth your time or your worry. They want to bother you and are succeeding. The best thing you can do is pretend like they don't exist. I agree with the others, this definitely sounds like you've grown up and matured and they haven't.

As for facebook, the best thing you can do is to block them. The block setting is in with the privacy settings. Once you block them it will be as if they don't exist and you won't see or know about anything they're writing. Its probably the best thing you can do, to help you move on.

I was best friend's with two girls I went to high school with for 10 years. After I got married (both were in my wedding party) my one friend dumped my other friend and I because she was jealous we were in relationships and she wasn't (She even told us!). She continued writing hurtful things about us to all of our mutual friends. Blocking her was difficult, to say the least, after 10 years of friendship but it was what my remaining friend and I needed to do to get past this.
 
I will come up and shed all over their house (sorry not a mean dog) and maybe drop a poo on the porch to defend my Lexi
Signed Sca

Seriously ignore them and get on with things, maybe even chuckle at the childishness of it.
Signed
Sca's sheep

No really a steamer that will give them nightmares and stain the porch forever
Signed
Sca

LOL! :lol::lol:
 
I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this, but you really need to ignore them. They're not worth your time or your worry. They want to bother you and are succeeding. The best thing you can do is pretend like they don't exist. I agree with the others, this definitely sounds like you've grown up and matured and they haven't.

As for facebook, the best thing you can do is to block them. The block setting is in with the privacy settings. Once you block them it will be as if they don't exist and you won't see or know about anything they're writing. Its probably the best thing you can do, to help you move on.

I was best friend's with two girls I went to high school with for 10 years. After I got married (both were in my wedding party) my one friend dumped my other friend and I because she was jealous we were in relationships and she wasn't (She even told us!). She continued writing hurtful things about us to all of our mutual friends. Blocking her was difficult, to say the least, after 10 years of friendship but it was what my remaining friend and I needed to do to get past this.

Sometimes it really is kind of shocking isn't it?!??
I understand, friendships sometimes really DO have the weirdest dynamics... !??? :yes:

One of my best friends cannot understand that I rather go to the dogpark on Saturdays than with her to brunch and shopping or whatever? She also really hates that I am friends with one common friend that she broke up with... This friend and I are hanging out and we do lots of Toffee things together, because she loves him... it's the dog she borrows, since she can't have any in her apartment :)

The difficult friend also has a young child, so obviously she is restricted in a lot of things, and she really resents a lot of the time we have, some of it I can understand so I cut a lot of slack there... to a point

But I know what you're going through I am afraid someday soon it may come to the same thing you're seeing, Ashley... I already received a couple of snide comments on my facebook as well, that I ended up deleting... But nothing as nasty as what you're going through, that is almost like a personal attack, you know? A bully technique, going after what you guys love and they don't understand!

Gosh darnit I am so uncool :)
 
Gosh darnit I am so uncool :)

I guess that makes me proud to be uncool :smile2:

I'm pretty sure my family on my DH's side thinks we're really weird, having insisted that our dogs be included in the week long family vacation (They'd picked out a non-dog friendly cottage. The 'weirdness' and 'uncoolness' is something I'm learning to accept. Its something that non-dog lovers will never understand or have the pleasure of knowing.

btw, this might be a good time to repost that 'Just A Dog' YouTube Video on your facebook page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRgbO5Db9Ns
 
While I do partiicipate in forums I have avoided Facebook like the plague. It is personal without being personal. People feel like they can say and do things on Facebook that they would never have the intestinal fortitude to do in person and it results in all kinds of problems. I understand the arguments many people make about being able to keep in contact, but believe me many of us non-Facebook people still find old fashioned methods to keep in contact with family and friends.

As for friends time and life causes people to change the value they place on friendships. However, the ability to "break up" via Facebook has only added to the nastiness that occurs regardless of age. Immaturity is not reserved for teenagers venting their frustrations on Facebook.

As someone mentioned earlier you don't have to understand or love someone's passion to support the fact it brings them joy. I have never been a cat person, but have several family members that have "cat children." Do I share their love of cats, no. Does it make their choice less valid, of course not. I am glad they have a pet that suits their time and family life.

I would suggest finding more friends that you do share current interests with and for the old friends you want to keep make time to do activities that you do have a common interest in. You can't expect your non-dog friends to want to go to the dog park, so if you want to maintain those friendships you will have to find activities you both share. However, it doesn't stop you from finding dog park friends.
 
I guess that makes me proud to be uncool :smile2:

I'm pretty sure my family on my DH's side thinks we're really weird, having insisted that our dogs be included in the week long family vacation (They'd picked out a non-dog friendly cottage. The 'weirdness' and 'uncoolness' is something I'm learning to accept. Its something that non-dog lovers will never understand or have the pleasure of knowing.

btw, this might be a good time to repost that 'Just A Dog' YouTube Video on your facebook page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRgbO5Db9Ns
Try being a nerd that likes to race and has a dog. I am a bit off in all three categories compared to the folks in each. But Sca still loves me the best :cool:
 
Try being a nerd that likes to race and has a dog. I am a bit off in all three categories compared to the folks in each. But Sca still loves me the best :cool:

I can understand that, I'm a computer tech/nerd. I don't race though, that would be hazardous to my health. I have no co-ordination and can't walk down the street without tripping. :rolleyes2:
 
I can understand that, I'm a computer tech/nerd. I don't race though, that would be hazardous to my health. I have no co-ordination and can't walk down the street without tripping. :rolleyes2:
Thus you see my point. I get along with all but the computer nerds that can not look at you like you have a third head when you talk of doing 140MPH are rare. The racers that can talk electronics, math and dynamics are actually less rare but still not common (and they all tend to be younger than me). The dogs most common at races are Bull Dogs so you can see someone that rules cute like Sca are out of that mentality also :lol:

Yet I have friends in all, the quality of people are more important than the activity. Thus Ashely should grin at them and move on as she will find other people that value her for who she is.
 
Back
Top