Bereavement Support Thread

When I lost my 15 yr old big boy I imagined I could still smell him near me, often tho't I'd see him out of the corner of my eye lying on the rug by the couch. I still expected him to be in the places he used to occupy, and put my feet down on the floor carefully when I got up from the couch- it was like a part of the house went missing. I still had my little girl and she changed her pattern of behavior once her big protector was gone. She would follow him outside and stay out there as long as he would but now she just did her business and came right back in. We had her one more year, I can't imagine what went thru her mind. Once you have had shelties in the house it just is deafeningly silent and empty when they aren't there. In the end for both of my last pair I knew they were suffering, their quality of life was not there and the only small consultation was that they were not longer suffering dementia nor dermatomyosistis and dementia. As I mentioned in an earlier post we used to keep the fur we brushed off of them and made a fur ball which we hung outside for the birds to use as nesting material and squirrels picked up what fell, so in some ways they are still here. Every spring I look at the ball of fur and remember them..Now we have two new guys and their fur is being added to the ball and they are creating their own legends.
 
I know I am blessed to have had 17 years with Gavin, and no mental issues. The mobility issues we dealt with together and we found things that worked to keep Gavin engaged and active. Only good memories. But the loss.....He loved me so much, and I loved him just as much. I still find myself saying "I love you so much Gavin" to an empty room. Even though he couldn't hear me the last 4-5 years, I still told him all the time.
 
I know I am blessed to have had 17 years with Gavin, and no mental issues. The mobility issues we dealt with together and we found things that worked to keep Gavin engaged and active. Only good memories. But the loss.....He loved me so much, and I loved him just as much. I still find myself saying "I love you so much Gavin" to an empty room. Even though he couldn't hear me the last 4-5 years, I still told him all the time.
He can hear you wherever he is:hugs
 
Back
Top