Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bereavement Support Thread

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Cindy, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yeah- my dad has been in maybe 3 different ones- after some hospital stays.
    the first time didn't go so well as like you said, it's hard to get them the actual rehab that they need unless you can stay on the staff. the second time was better, he did get the help that he was supposed to and made enough progress that the insurance company kicked him out. the third time was kinda in between- he was doing ok but again the insurance wouldn't let him stay longer. then he got some home health care but again the insurance company limited that time too.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    we are lucky, Mom can afford to pay for home health care aides. especially as it would be a few hours a day and for a few weeks at most while I am there.
    The PT is...walking...literally that is all it will be for quite a while. But she will need to be walked multiple times a day and for increasing distances.
    So no special care involved, unless there are surgical complications. Then nursing care might be needed (but not rehab). But then I would still need to be there to watch over things. It's so sad that all these facilities need to be so heavily monitored to make sure they really are doing what they are supposed to be doing

RikyR, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    This is certainly a bad position for you to be in. I've worked with these patients after that particular surgery, but only in the acute phase. I have to warn you it could be pretty gnarly. I wonder if it is worth while reaching out to her regular doctor and the surgeon's office to see what is typical post op and what they recommend specifically in your mom's case? One big complication is GI troubles....

The photos of Gavin are so sweet. BTW, the frame is a great idea.

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have sent an e-mail to the surgeon's team through the mychart system. waiting to hear back. The phone number and name of nurse on the paperwork my mom was given is different to the business cards we were give....sigh..... I can call if I don't hear anything soon. I have a long list of questions. I also need to know their discharge rules (Ie. will they send her home with a feeding tube or will they wait until she can eat solid food?). I already told my brother she might need full blown adult diapers for overnight and that is about as heavy as he can take.