Best Time to buy a Pup?

I'm liking the sound of how easy Shelties are to house-train. Cadbury was an utter nightmare.

MbFrench, Guy Fawkes day is 5th November
"Remember, remember the 5th of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot"

Guy Fawkes being one of the people who tried to blow up the houses of parliament - an early terrorist attack that was thankfully foiled, but for some reason we celebrate it :confused2:

Gosh that was a long time Bailey had to wait for her jabs! Cadbury was done and dusted by 10 weeks and in his first puppy playgroup - but then I am incredibly impatient.

Well the sun is out today and it definitely feels like Spring, still don't fancy housetraining in the winter! :lol: I think it will be a case of wait and see...

Ok..ty.
I just never heard of it referred to as that.I really just try to skim by the 4th with no whatever hoopla. I actually have no desire to watch fireworks.It is the day I lost my oldest boy,will be 15 years.

On the note about housetraining shelties,we are pleasantly happy with how quickly Trapp caught on.Jasper was a little more to get the light bulb to click..but since it has,we have'nt had a mess now going on 2 weeks.So he's doing wonderful.
When I open his crate,he goes right for the door.:yes:
 
Man I am very envious of those of you whose Shelties potty trained so fast! Megan is 6 months old and we still have to watch her very carefully. I would say she is over 90% there, but not all the way trustworthy, (so to speak).
 
I think key to potty training is to "sacrifice" your first week and adhere to strict schedule of going out to potty, rain or shine... after first couple of days it was clear what puppy schedule should be and as long as you are watchful it was a breeze... do not let bad habits set in and you good to go... boys usually larger in size and have a bigger bladder, therefore can hold longer and do not have UTI issues as a rule...tiny girls could have more issues due to anatomical challenges...
 
Gosh that was a long time Bailey had to wait for her jabs! Cadbury was done and dusted by 10 weeks and in his first puppy playgroup - but then I am incredibly impatient.

In NY, the last booster shot and rabies shot are given at 16 weeks. Me and Bailey were going stir crazy for 6 weeks ( I got her at 10 weeks old in August). All I could go with her was my front lawn and the backyard. So, by the time she able to start going to parks and socializing, it was getting cold. I still suck it up and stand outside for hours in the cold, so she can play. It would just be a lot easier if was warmer. I also want to socialize her with children, but there are no kids at the park in this weather :(
 
I actually have no desire to watch fireworks.It is the day I lost my oldest boy,will be 15 years.
Very sorry to hear that. Tbh, I have far less interest in fireworks than I did as a kid, especially now with the dog. I prefer to make it an occasion for a nice meal.

In NY, the last booster shot and rabies shot are given at 16 weeks.
We don't get the rabies shot here, so maybe that's why it is quicker for us? I would have been going crazy waiting 6 weeks, I was desperate to get doing stuff with Cadbury after 2 weeks!

Isn't a nuisance trying to socialise them with kids when you don't have any? I was told to linger by the local school, but I was a bit concerned parents might think that was a little suspicious! At the end of the day I think you just have to try your best.
 
We tend to be getting more vets giving rabies at 14 weeks instead of 16 weeks. If you find a puppy socialization group you should be ok after the second booster as they are all at about the same for shots. A good puppy socialization group should check for your vaccinations, if they don't you dont wanna go. Ask some of your local trainers, they might have them.
 
We tend to be getting more vets giving rabies at 14 weeks instead of 16 weeks.

If my vet even mentioned giving Rabies at 14 weeks, I would laugh my butt off. My dogs don't get them until 6 months, maybe.

Don't get me going on the over-vaccination in dogs, it's a long discussion. :smile2:
 
We tend to be getting more vets giving rabies at 14 weeks instead of 16 weeks. If you find a puppy socialization group you should be ok after the second booster as they are all at about the same for shots. A good puppy socialization group should check for your vaccinations, if they don't you dont wanna go. Ask some of your local trainers, they might have them.
The puppy party I will attend is run by my vets and I think it said the dog has to have had its first vaccination before you can join. My training club runs puppy groups too, but your dog has to have had both vaccinations.

I can't understand people who don't seem to even care about the vaccines. My grandad saw a 6 week old GSD puppy running in the park with two young girls. They had just got him two days before. As if he had had vaccinations and that is a high dog traffic park. Some people just don't seem to care.
 
I think key to potty training is to "sacrifice" your first week and adhere to strict schedule of going out to potty, rain or shine... after first couple of days it was clear what puppy schedule should be and as long as you are watchful it was a breeze... do not let bad habits set in and you good to go... boys usually larger in size and have a bigger bladder, therefore can hold longer and do not have UTI issues as a rule...tiny girls could have more issues due to anatomical challenges...


I did all that, kept Megan and myself on a strict schedule and everything! BUT I just now remembered around here in Houston most Vets want you to keep pup inside until they have had at least 2 sets of shots, so Megan was going on puppy pads at first.

We're getting better though, we're almost there, :wink2:
 
Back
Top