Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best time to go emergency vet?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Cindy, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Baby Steps, Your an awesome Mom!!

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have to keep reminding myself its only been 12 hours since he got the anti vomiting meds.

3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Sorry Gavin isn’t feeling well. I hope he is soon feeling better.

trini, Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    So glad he's eating anything on his own! Anything is a positive.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You're doing all the right things and it does sound like you're making progress, if he ate some chicken from your hand. I agree with everyone about the baby food. It's my go to. I feed it from a spoon when they won't eat, sometimes that works. And like the chicken, hand feeding anything you can. Room temperature or warm as you're doing helps too. It's very good that he's drinking.

I know this is exhausting for both of you, but hang in there, Cindy. You're doing a great job. Prayers continue....

Sandy in CT, Hanne, trini and 3 others like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Positive news that Gavin is eating even if small amounts. I hope and pray he continues to improve.

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Im fortunate I dont have work until tuesday. and even luckier my flight wasnt cancelled like so many have been.
    I am hoping he is doing better by Tuesday and I feel OK with leaving him. Otherwise I will either call in sick and/or go back to the vet.

Sandy in CT, Hanne, trini and 3 others like this.
  8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Cindy I am so sorry Gavin is sick. There was a fairly recent clinical study that put dogs with pancreatitis on preds when they weren't showing sufficient improvement and the preds were shown to significantly support faster improvement. Our vets started using preds for pancreatitis in response to this study and what they experienced in the dogs they treated supported the findings in the clinical study. If Gavin doesn't show as much improvement as hoped it would be worth asking your vet about preds. Gentle hugs to your sweet boy.
    Trini

Sandy in CT, Hanne, Ann and 3 others like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    i think prednisone would also help with apettite.
    Gavin just had his water/stool come back.
    And he hasnt eaten any more chicken.
    If he doesn't start eating better tomorrow after his next round of meds, it's back to the vets.
    I'll see if we can do a feeding tube during the day and maybe some stronger meds.
    still no vomiting, so theres that.

Sandy in CT, Ann, trini and 3 others like this.
  10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Cindy, one other thing...it used to be standard procedure to put a dog with pancreatitis on an IV with no intake orally of food or water at all. The theory was to give the digestive system a period of total rest. A few years ago this method was put aside and feeding small amounts orally was instituted. This is something else worth asking your vet about if Gavin doesn't improve. Perhaps a period of rest for his digestive system with nutrition/fluid coming only via an IV might help. This would mean a hospital stay which is the down side, but it might make the difference for Gavin.
    Trini

Hanne, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.