Bitsy Boodle's 2013 Summer Clip

Alright. It's too easy to get off track, I know I do it all the time. Let continue to look at Bitsy's hair cut. That's what this thread is about, sharing pics of our sweet little shelties!:hugs
Tabs
 
For the record, the debate doesn't bother me a bit! :biggrin2: Heck, our whole family went back and forth on this for several years. I had always believed strongly about the cooling properties of a properly groomed double coat. But finally, we just decided to try the summer cut -- the year before (2011), all the others were fine, and Bits was miserable. What really pushed us over the edge was when our breeder did the same for one of her heavy coated Shelties when she retired. No shaving, just scissors.

The result? A much happier, healthier dog. No more miserable panting, no more hiding in the house. Her whole demeanor picked up. She literally became like a puppy again. And the next fall, back came her lush, thick coat!!

Would I ever do this with Layla, Beckon or annie Laurie? Never!! Perish the thought! Their coats are so manageable, and they thrive whatever the weather.

Bottom line: The only unbreakable rule about Sheltie grooming is that there are no unbreakable rules for Sheltie grooming!:wink2:
 
That cut really shows how thick her coat is! I bet she feels so much better! We have a sheltie friend at the dog park that got a summer trim. It's not nearly as short as Bitsy's, but she never had as much hair as Bitsy! So far with Missy being only 17 months old, she still doesn't have much coat. A couple weeks ago I noticed little bitty pieces of undercoat coming out, so I brushed her for a good hour and pulled out quite a bit of undercoat and I think she's much more comfortable. Of course she still jumps in the pool any chance she gets at the park!
 
You should see what I do to my bitches when they are in whelp. I literally scissor them down to almost what Bitsy looks like...I did Mia for her last litter, The pups are 6 months old and shes sporting a coat that can kill a yak!:lol: Granted some of it is hormones that makes it grow in that thick that fast, but all mine their fur grows back with no issues.

We did the same thing with Checkers' coat when she was pregnant and it grew back just as full in six months. She also sports a yak coat year round.

I recently scissored Pixie's coat which had gotten long and drapey and made her look like a little fireplug. She looks and acts like a new dog too. Bottom line: You do what's best for your dog. Sheltie grooming is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. As Chris said, there are no rules, and I think Bitsy looks great!

Speaking of rules, I didn't realize the Moderators were not allowed to give their opinions. I must have missed that in the guidelines, Barb...
 
We trimmed my childhood sheltie every summer just like Bitsy. I was kid then and I'm sure my mom didn't know better, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was actually shaved and not scissored.

There is no doubt in my mind that she was a much happier & more energetic dog after her fur was trimmed short. She had an incredibly thick coat that clogged our bathtub every time she had a bath. Every groomer we used also commented on her thick fur. She really perked up after her trim and enjoyed the summer much more.

Despite trimming, all her fur grew back with no issues by the time it became cold. We never had an issue and she was playing in the snow without a shiver.

Could there have been some damage to her fur from shaving every summer? Quite possibly. I have no idea. I'm not a breeder or conformation expert, but to me it grew back like it normally was. And even if it didn't grow back 100% normal, it would've made no difference to us. Her well-being was more important than perfect fur.
 
I know I run the risk of being chided for losing "focus" here, but what the heck, I joined a "forum" (I read that as "discussion group") to discuss things, so this is my discussion on the matter.

We did the same thing with Checkers' coat when she was pregnant and it grew back just as full in six months...

When I had my previous Sheltie, I couldn't bring myself to cut/shave/reduce fur to the point that he lost the classic Sheltie look in the summer (but that's just me). There were a few times when I worried that he would overheat, so I took steps to address those times. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have taken kindly to any unsolicited comments suggesting that I was doing something I shouldn't do with my dog, but this is a discussion forum. When ya toss it out there, discussion is what ya get, and I would be OK with that.

Speaking of rules, I didn't realize the Moderators were not allowed to give their opinions. I must have missed that in the guidelines, Barb...

Where I think the wheels fell off of this conversation was when a "moderator" suggested that the "discussion" had become an "argument". Personally, I've seen arguments, and this ain't no argument (sorry, I couldn't resist). Back to the point, sure, admins. should be allowed to state their opinions just like anyone else (unless I missed something in the TOS). But, anytime an admin./owner or whomever steps into the fray, he/she should expect that their comments may be interpreted differently than those of us regular Joes and Josies. That's just my opinion.
 
Where I think the wheels fell off of this conversation was when a "moderator" suggested that the "discussion" had become an "argument". Personally, I've seen arguments, and this ain't no argument (sorry, I couldn't resist). Back to the point, sure, admins. should be allowed to state their opinions just like anyone else (unless I missed something in the TOS). But, anytime an admin./owner or whomever steps into the fray, he/she should expect that their comments may be interpreted differently than those of us regular Joes and Josies. That's just my opinion.

I don't think that mod meant it as, "quit arguing", she meant it as, "why disagree, it's her dog." Isn't there a phrase like, "what's the argument in that?" I saw it as a variation of that phrase.
 
I don't think that mod meant it as, "quit arguing", she meant it as, "why disagree, it's her dog." Isn't there a phrase like, "what's the argument in that?" I saw it as a variation of that phrase.

Perhaps. But that's sort of my point. I saw it in the classical sense of an argument (Although, I have no issue with arguments. Arguments alone are not negative unless/until the participants become impolite, etc.). I interpreted the statement one way even though that may not have been the way it was intended. The misinterpretation may have been exacerbated by the knowledge that an admin was speaking. In either case, I see no reason that admins should not post as often as they wish.
 
Back
Top