Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bravecto?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by SuzieQ1960, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I give Piper Fiproguard plus (generic of Frontline plus) and it works great (I use it more for the tick protection), the tick/flea walks on them they die. Plus the tick doesn't have to bite the dog, I like this. Last year in one day (after an outdoor show) I found 9 ticks on him and all were either dead or almost dead. I actually just read an article about Bravecto and a number of dogs that died that they suspect was caused by the Bravecto (healthy dogs with no issues that died days after being given).

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Now that I have investigated these protection products against fleas and ticks. :biggrin2:
    Those who can be dangerous are those who go in the blood and therefore in internal organs :gaahand "animals"have to bite the dog before it works -as Bravecto

Fiproguard plus as Piper´s mom and I Bayvantic (DK) / Advantix (US) use, does not go into the blood but through the hair follicle and skin, the "animals" does not have to bite the dog - to work

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't agree that because something is put on the skin it doesn't get in the organs. The skin is permeable, and what goes on to the skin gets into the blood stream. Think of transdermal 'medical' patches - they bypass the stomach and are absorbed by the blood stream and circulated through the body and through organs. I expect spot-on flea treatments use a similar approach. But even if they don't, there will still be some absorption because the skin does absorb. Some years ago there was a lot of debate about spot-ons after many dog and cat deaths. Plus the recent research finding a potential link between GBM in Shelties and imidacloprid could mean Shelties are absorbing it differently (pet medications are tested on Beagles).

I was disappointed by the response you got from Bayer. The research about GBM was credible and independent and I really think Bayer should be doing some research of their own. But then some little customer service person is only going to give the company line esp if the executives aren't saying anything. Bayer have not yet responded at all to the GBM research, makes you wonder if they give a damn.

I prefer the topical treatments just because it by-passes the stomach, which I assume is better for Deska and his sensitive tummy.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - Thank you - I'm very happy with your comment :yes:

- You must not think - that I even think I'm an expert, because I'm certainly not :no:
    - But only a cautious mom looking for all the knowledge I can find.

I'm so scared I should be blamed for Minnie to be mistaken.

including this:
    http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/uncategorized/four-things-know-flea-tick-topical-solutions/

From the last part of # 4 : Please read the whole # 4
    When used according to label directions, the active ingredients in many flea and tick topical products are not absorbed into the bloodstream.

I would be so glad if someone would try to investigate around Bayvantic (DK) / Advantix (US), Fiproguard plus or similar products in your own country - Since it is can be poison for our fur babies

5. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Vallejo
    Mine is on the exact same now, and last year he was tick and flea free as well. And we actually live in a forest adjacent to a large regional park. We've got deer, foxes galore, mice, squirrels, chipmonks, mices, rabbits, etc, etc.
    I really like the Serestro collar we used for a year and a half until I found out its active ingredient was statistically significant in studies of canine cancers. Gotta find that cite.

And, I have been buying the 100# size and breaking it in 2 to reduce the cost.
    I know there is a belief that you shouldn't do that because you can't be sure all the ingredients are mixed in the same proportions and thus might be over/under-dosing by breaking the tablet.
    Unfortunately, I've been inside bio-tech company production facilities, and everything from tomato paste to consumer goods conglomerates, and the fact is that prior to actually extruding out pills, shampoo, tomato paste, laxitives, capsules, etc, everything is mixed, and in fact kept mixing until it hits the tube or ejection mold and is dolloped out.
    In this instance, both ingredients are granualized to the same size so as to prevent uneven distribution through simple settling. In fact, if they weren't, they wouldn't be able to accurately measure anything, nor guarantee how much of which ingredient was actually getting into the pill or capsule.
    If you're curious, look up compounding, and its quite involved for the few pharmacies that still do it.
    Not trying to rant, however really hate to see people paying a lot more than they could.

EDIT- Just saw the comment about skin permeability.
    I'm just gonna leave this here.
    https://personalcaretruth.com/2011/01/the-impermeable-facts-of-skin-penetration-and-absorption/

The fact that we can't just wipe on aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofin among others should make the point that the skin is not a freeway into the body.
    Actually, the whole reason for 'skin' is to prevent such from happening.
    The whole follicles, lipids, etc are fascinating. While the GBM is something to investigate, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of assuming Corporate Scientists are fully aware of some major potential for poisoning of our companions and knowingly keeping quiet. Just like Big Tobacco, anything less than Due Diligence could quite easily be the end of their company vs a voluntary recall.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Cara Sandler likes this.
  6. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Vallejo
    Houston, we may have a problem...

Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products

September 20, 2018

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm620934.htm

Bravecto, Nexgard, Simparica and possible Credelio have experienced adverse events such as muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures.

ghggp likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank you for your post. Thankfully, I don’t use any of these products!

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Well that's a bugger. I just won a year's worth of Bravecto for the cats! I'll keep an eye out when I use it.

As for the earlier discussion about skin permeability. https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/side-effects-of-spot-on-flea-treatments/ This article presents actual research evidence. I'm not against flea treatments or spot ons (heck I always use them on the pets), but we should always be cautious and keep an eye out for signs of toxicity. And if proper research evidence tells me a product may cause problems in my breed, well there's enough other products that I'll use something else.