Car sick

I don’t see how Benadryl will help with motion sickness. That’s an allergy medicine...might make him drowsy but that’s about it. Also be careful about Benadryl, some contain xylitol as per Ann’s post.
You could try making some ginger cookies using fresh grated ginger and give him one an hour or so before going out.
 
Thanks didn't know about that in benedryl. It's the same ingredient used for motion sickness so it was logical to use it. He suffered no ill effects and it worked. But lately he's doing better IF I tell him where we are going and he likes the destination lol
 
Thanks didn't know about that in benedryl. It's the same ingredient used for motion sickness so it was logical to use it. He suffered no ill effects and it worked. But lately he's doing better IF I tell him where we are going and he likes the destination lol
Interesting...I didn’t know it could be used for motion sickness. Does it actually work though? Cerenia doesn’t stop her vomiting, Gravol doesn’t (not 100%) especially if it’s a long drive. She has actually vomited outside of the car, so the motion sickness continues for Blueberry even after she’s out of the car. Poor girl...although it does seem less than before...
 
Interesting...I didn’t know it could be used for motion sickness. Does it actually work though? Cerenia doesn’t stop her vomiting, Gravol doesn’t (not 100%) especially if it’s a long drive. She has actually vomited outside of the car, so the motion sickness continues for Blueberry even after she’s out of the car. Poor girl...although it does seem less than before...
 
Poor baby. Hugs to her. Yes benedryl works. But must be attentive to dog weight and dosage. Vet should be able to tell you what amount to dose per weight. As I mentioned now Luke doesn't seem to have problems if I tell him we are going somewhere he likes. However, for long trips I would still dose him 1/4 of a benedryl. Check with your vet. Hopefully it will be okay to use and effective.
 
Interesting...I didn’t know it could be used for motion sickness. Does it actually work though? Cerenia doesn’t stop her vomiting, Gravol doesn’t (not 100%) especially if it’s a long drive. She has actually vomited outside of the car, so the motion sickness continues for Blueberry even after she’s out of the car. Poor girl...although it does seem less than before...

Wow, I'm surprised Cerenia doesn't work. What dose are you using? My vet has me give 60 mg of Cerenia for car trips, vs. the normal dose for a bout of nausea which would be 16 mg. Mine usually does fine with Bonine, but for long trips I do use the Cerenia.
 
Wow, I'm surprised Cerenia doesn't work. What dose are you using? My vet has me give 60 mg of Cerenia for car trips, vs. the normal dose for a bout of nausea which would be 16 mg. Mine usually does fine with Bonine, but for long trips I do use the Cerenia.
Not sure what the dose was but it’s been awhile since I used it, just do the Gravol now. Last Monday we drove to obedience which is a 40 minute drive and she was ok but on the way home I had to make a stop out of the way and we were almost home when she vomited. I do think it’s getting better, better than she used to be anyway.
 
Wow, I'm surprised Cerenia doesn't work. What dose are you using? My vet has me give 60 mg of Cerenia for car trips, vs. the normal dose for a bout of nausea which would be 16 mg. Mine usually does fine with Bonine, but for long trips I do use the Cerenia.
Benedryl does work but check with vet for amount to dose
 
Does anyone else have furbabies that get carsick? Luke does. Think it's because he tries to see everything going by and it's too fast?
Scout hates riding in the car! He is so anxious and car sick on even short rides. I had to go to my daughter’s house, which is a 4 hour drive and took Scout with me. His drool would have filled up a soda cup and he vomited 4 times during the trip. I drive with him in the passenger seat buckled in and he frantically tried to get into my lap the whole way. I have to go back home on Monday and I can’t face another trip like the first one, so I took him to see my daughter’s vet today. He prescribed Cerenia for the nausea and trazadone for the anxiety. I am helping my daughter move and this afternoon I gave him both meds. The trazadone made him loopy, but he did not drool very much at all and he did not vomit. I can see using these meds for long trips, but can’t see giving these meds for short trips at home. Will he grow out of this?
 
Back
Top