Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?

ok, found where I read about spaniels:
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/SheltieHistory.html
"Back to Sheltie history. Tourism (though perhaps not under that name) became important to the Island economy during the 19th century, and one of the things the Islanders found they could sell to the tourists was their little dogs. Tourists liked little, fluffy mites, and many of the Islanders began breeding to anything small and fluffy. The use of a Prince Charles Spaniel left behind by a visiting yacht is mentioned by Catherine Coleman, and Pomeraneans are also mentioned frequently. (A comment is needed here: Pomeranians at the turn of the century were much larger than today. I have a photograph of a typical Pomeranian from the Dogs article in the 1905 Encyclopedia Britannica, and the dog looks more like a small Samoyed than a modern Pom.) A number of the early dogs looked suspiciously like Papillions. Some were very short-legged and could have had Corgi ancestry. While I have not seen anything in print, I have always wondered if the brindle color, so strongly discriminated against from the first standard ever written, could have been brought in from the Scottish Terrier. If this was the case, the prohibition on brindle could have been aimed at eliminating the descendants of a terrier cross. (The Cardiganshire Welsh Corgi would be another potential source of brindle, but possibly a more acceptable one.)"
 
That's a great history! Love the pictures of the older Shelties - notice the prick ears! Why oh why could they not have stuck with that! No more gluing! :biggrin2:
 
Update on the puppy mill....!

I emailed both the SPCA and the town By-Law enforcement.

Both have responded back and are interested in pursuing the case. Unfortunately the phone number listed is an unlisted number (what a surprise!) and no address, of course.

I've now put both groups in contact with each other and hopefully they will coordinate their resources. The SPCA in particular has assigned an inspector - even provided me with a name - so I think they are serious in pursuing this further.

Cross fingers and paws! I'm not normally one to get involved, but this one was just too obvious to ignore.

btw - I suddenly remembered that when I was looking last spring for a pup, I contacted this mill (not knowing at the time, they were a mill). I kept the email thread and sure enough as soon as I asked to visit them, I never heard from them again. :mad:
 
Good for you BarbV!!! Yes, I hate it when they will breed every kind of dog they can find and then interbreed them and call it a designer dog. When they have that many types of breeds, there is know way that they can be properly socializing them and treating them well. Good JOB!!!
 
Yeah, they had some funny story when I asked to go visit them that they actually don't have all these pups on site....that they are fostered out. Great, I said! I'm interested in the Cavalier/Sheltie pups that you have....can I visit the foster site? Never heard from them again.

And now 10 months later, they are still advertising Cav/Sheltie mixes. :mad:
 
Update!

I finally got an update on this! I'm so glad that I did what I did! It's very easy to fall into complacency and expect that someone else is on top of it Attached is a note from the by-law officer that I received today! btw - OPP is Ontario Police. It appears that my emails to all departments got them working together to try to shut this place down. Memo to file! Activism works!

Just a quick note back to you, so that you know your efforts were not wasted. We managed to get the OPP, SPCA and ourselves together in one room to share our notes on this issue. All the agencies had received similar complaints or concerns over the past year and had started an investigation but quickly ran into walls or dead ends. In the meeting it became apparent that we all had different pieces of information that was vital in locating the individual. We have found the individual and the SPCA is taking the lead on this case. I can’t tell you much more than that other than I know that the SPCA issued some orders on the proprietors. Last week we noted that the individual had posted a sign at the end of their driveway offering free puppies. Perhaps they are closing or at least reducing the number of dogs on site. We estimated that there was over 130 dogs present during our inspection though I was informed by my officer that none seemed to be in distress.
 
I guess that I'm just thrilled that my pushing actually caused some action. I'm still not sure how 130 dogs could be without distress, but I'll continue with the baby steps!

Barb
 
BarbV, I'm so glad you did this! It's really a worthwhile cause. How can these puppies possibly be socialized properly. Or even learn what they need to know from their Mother, since they have to be shipped out early. Great job!
 
Major kudos to you, Barb!! More people need to take a stand and maybe more would get done. Way to go! :yes::yes::yes:
 
Back
Top