Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Chronic tummy problems

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Caro, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Had to cut out raw bones even - Deska can't stomach raw nowadays.

So another trip to the vet (his usual older vet this time). He's back on an elimination diet, but one without potatoes. So it's a crocodile and tapioca roll, it's a new brand that has 1 protein and 1 vegetable/grain. Seems everyone has run out atm so I'll stick to roo and no potato until I can get the croc food. He's also got an infection on his belly (licking a rash)

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    He just can't catch a break :-( Hope things look up soon!

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    do we get a daily poop report?

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck YES, inquiring minds need to know!

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    No poops today and only a little yesterday. Think he's storing them up again - he did 4 big poops on Thurs when we visited the vet, god knows how one little dog can store that much! But he's been farting less and barking less, so I guess he's feeling a little better.

Brought the Salmon and tapioca elimination diet yesterday. He's had salmon so it's not really elimination but I wanted to start on something and there's a shortage of the crocodile. Boy this stuff is expensive. Keeping him on home cooked roo and veg until he finishes the antibiotics though as I don't want to confuse the issue and waste money.

Steak with an egg for breakfast, salmon for dinner. These dogs are eating like royalty!

ghggp likes this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Sitting here and Deska isn't hanging around (he never leaves my side). Discovered he'd vomited breakfast and dinner out on the back porch. He left behind the egg white and last night's veggies but the steak and egg yolk was obviously reingested. Damn it, is it the antibiotics, did he eat the steak too quickly, or could it be the treats from yesterday (I brought the limited ingredient treats). Guess he'll be starting the salmon and tapioca tonight.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Poor guy..and you too! I know you are worried about him. We are all thinking of you

ghggp likes this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Sorry to hear about Deska's tummy, Caro! FWIW, when I had Flurry on antibiotics, her tummy went bad near the end of the run. First she didn't want to eat, then she couldn't keep it down. So it could be the antibiotics that upset him. I don't know what Deska can eat, but chicken and rice worked for me until we were through with the antibiotics. Her home cooked food now is just protein (chicken, turkey, beef or lamb) and green veggies.

ghggp likes this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Poop not too bad, although he didn't have much after throwing up. But now Tully has the runs, we had a therapy visit with 5 other dogs so maybe it's from one of them or their crappy treats. Hope it's not a tummy bug.

Sadly we're missing the Canberra Sheltie Xmas last night. I got ready, put Tully's collar on and Deska started whining, so I let him outside to toilet and he would not come inside. I get the feeling he's saying he doesn't want to go out. I'm not going to push him. I hate it when our dogs get old.

Started them on the limited ingredient salmon and tapioca - they ate it but not with the usual enthusiasm of mum's home cooked meals. Maybe now I'm not cooking for them I can cook for me!

ghggp likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, I sure feel for you.

Knowing that our dogs are aging and taking care of their needs before our own is so difficult. I would not have missed one day with my seniors.

The love and compassion you are giving them is the greatest gift of all! Knowing when to stay home as you describe is one such selfless act. Preparing meals and looking tenderly after their every need warms my heart! I know it’s tough for you.

Knowing you, you will most certainly perceiver like the great Sheltie mom you are!

Virtual hugs coming your way!