Colors and personality correlations?

Who can answer first! "Any Other Allowed Color"

I'm glad I asked, I've never heard of that acronym before and never could have guessed that. :smile2:

Sadie and Ginny are both Sables. Sadie is very layed back, easy going and thoughtful. Ginny is more high strung, nervous, bossy and in general, quirky. You'd never know they were half sisters.

Toby, who's a tri, we've only had for a short time. In general his personality is more like Sadie's, but with more energy. And he's MUCH more cuddly than my two girls combined. :)
 
Last edited:
Let's just say, my husband would leave me if I had a houseful of AOAC's. But then I would probably run away myself. One is plenty.:lol:

:lol: Sad but true. We love our Daisy (I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more affectionate, human-loving dog - and she was an awesome 4-H dog for me) but she's not easy. She's very much the beta-bitch: Annie is the boss, and everyone knows it, but Daisy has to make a lot of sound-and-fury to make sure nobody forgets that she's (sort of) in charge. She won't cross Annie, but she'll make nasty faces at all the other dogs.

I will say this, though - she is the healthiest, heartiest dog imaginable. 13 years old and barely gray, would jump into a 2nd-level crate if you'd let her, and shows little sign of slowing down. She had no trouble at all as a brood bitch and was a fantastic mother. She's been sick only one day in her life - at 8 years old when she woke up with pyo (a very serious uterine infection). Most bitches who are that sick won't touch their food, but Daisy forced herself to eat her whole breakfast before she came out of the crate looking unwell and was rushed to the vet for an emergency spay. She's not easy, but she is a heck of an individual.
 
I'm certainly no expert... but I'm thinking that there really might be something to the thinking that the AOAC's are more hay-wire than the sables.

There is another sheltie in Miko's puppy kindergarten class... a tri girl. She's WAY and I mean WAY more nutty than he is. She's all about fun and craziness. Miko is more focussed and mellow. Having said that, Miko is a lot more vocal than she is... but she's definitely more crazy than him.
 
I'd agree that it seems to be genetics. I guess I'm the odd one in that I have all colors, and do cross my sables with my AOACs, but then, all of my sables are tri factored sables so even in my sable to sable breedings get tris.
I think there is a lot of variance within each of the colors in the temperaments that are out there, and that what you grow used to seeing for each color is largely dependent upon what lines seem to be predominant in a particular area. In performance around here, you see a lot of sables from Karen Muenster, Trinity lines, Triune, and Foxcroft. For tris and blues, there are a lot from Tammy Van Deussen's Faerie Shelties, Kathie Attwood of KJ Shelties, Jean LaValley, and a smattering from down in Florida from Himark. The temperaments found in these lines may be one way, but then you might visit another part of the country and run into different breeders with different lines who's pups temperaments tend to be different.
By the way, my two biggest nuts are both sables :x They're half sisters, by the same sire, out of different dams. They are WILD to live with. They aren't the laid back sort who have off switches. They are all go.... but man can they work, and smart? You couldn't ask for more intelligence. And they want to offer and please more than any other dogs I've had. Their temperaments probably aren't what the average person could live with, but they are exactly the type of dog I enjoy to live and work with. They have certainly done their fair share of changing the opinions of a lot of Border Collie people when it comes to shelties.... enough so that several have had to go out and get their own.
 
Last edited:
My first one was a sable and she was ever so smart and very much a lady as her name implied, such a sweetie.
Maggie a tri was go- go - go since we brought her home, trained easily but took some time- when I worked with her she would not always look at me. She is cuddly in the morning in bed and at night time but other than that is somewhat aloof, but has always been willing to please.
Katie a tri was aloof for while as a puppy but was a very happy go lucky girl till she died. She was pretty layed back.
Zak a tri was a wild puppy always into something but now is very relaxed but is always ready to play.He still gets into trouble every now and then.- Training is good some days and some days not - I am thinking it is age releated!! He is the most cuddliest we have had yet. My friend that has to tri's thinks they have the devil in them- she likes her fiesty.
 
My little sable, Meggie, is pretty laid back and definitely mama's girl. She's not terribly affectionate, but loves to be with me ALWAYS! She was a breeze to train and although sometimes I call her dopey, she's a smarty pants.

Cooper, my double merle is a crazy boy. That boy throws himself at closed doors, flies through the air to jump on you (I seriously have never seen a dog who flies like him!) and runs like the wind around the yard, barking at anything that moves, or doesn't move, for that matter. He is a COMPLETE LOVER BOY! He doesn't want to be with you, he wants to be ON you. He will nuzzle your neck and his favorite place is with his head on your bosom, looking into your eyes!! However, he is much more independent than Meggie. He's happy to be in the yard by himself and doesn't necessarily follow me from room to room like Meg does.

They definitely have two different personalties, but I've not known enough shelties to know if it is somehow related to their colors.
 
Hamish, a sable, and Emma, a sable, more mellow, calmer, Mommy's boy or girl.

Noah, a blue merle, quiet, protective of his people and his street, a barker at the squirrels and cats. Grandpa's boy.

Liam, a tri, high energy, active, a barker (I think he is like the Energizer bunny - never turned off). Mommy's boy.
 
Back
Top