Decision made - no more agility

Obedience is tough this winter with all the sitting and dropping on cold, frosty grass (darn elbows).

They make you do downs, sits, and sit stays outside on the grass?! :eek2:

The place we go to is air conditioned and heated. It also has padded mats (but they aren't the bulky kind like in high school gyms that you trip over). Even their agility set up is inside their building. So no matter if it's hot or below freezing outside it's still the right temperature inside to do all sorts of things.

I'm trading in my agility dreams for rally because of the problems you've had with Deska. :yes: He doesn't like to jump anyway. He hates it. Crazy dog. :rolleyes2:
 
Deska howls and barks continuously if he is stuck in his crate at trials - a bit embarassing and it distracts Tully, I think she hates to hear her buddy upset as well. It isnt so rewarding to have one unhappy dog and then Tully struggling with the courses (there are no seperate height classes or times so as we move up we have to run the BC times and we are either too slow or making mistakes)

Unfortunately we only have obedience, agility and flyball in Canberra. Obedience is tough this winter with all the sitting and dropping on cold, frosty grass (darn elbows). I will have a chat with our Club secretary to see if maybe we can get an informal group going for something low impact. Surely a lot of other arthritic dogs could do with some low impact challenges. Not quite ready to move interstate yet.

Poor Deska. I'm sorry to hear that he is in more pain. Others have given some great ideas and I'm sure you'll find a good niche for his next adventures.
 
Oh Caro, I'm so sorry. 2years ago I had to make the decision to retire Justice from Agility. He had just suffered his second left front leg injury, an imcomplete tear of his flexor tendon(he fell/stepped in a hole running), this was 9 months after a shoulder injury. I got to trial him once in between injuries and picked up his last NA and NAJ legs for his titles. It was very sad and disappointing but I knew he couldn't do it any longer or risk permenant damage and wouldn't be able to do anything not even obedience which is his love. There are still days when he is stiff.

He hates being left behind. I take him to agility practice with the girls. It was hard at first. So I know what you mean. But he got used to being there and just hanging out. He suckers my classmates out of pets and cookies. Spending time just out of the house has became most important.

The important thing is your looking out for Deska's future. I'm sure you'll find something to do together. Hugs
 
I had to quit agility for the opposite reason; Sadie was an EXCELLENT agility dog but I couldn't keep up with her due to my bad health. Sadie LOVES to work and I love working with her, so as an alternative I've been doing an advanced obedience class with her in hopes of competing with her in obedience or rally-o. I always thought it looked boring and had no interest, but I've reconsidered. Perhaps you should consider doing obedience with Deska? It would give him something to do and be far easier on his joints.
 
Sorry to hear that Caro. But you've made the right decision for Deska.

I'm sure you will find something that suits the both of you.
 
Aw hugs to you and Deska. I haven't gotten to that point with any of my dogs yet, however, I know I tried Rally-O with Miko and well, his sits and downs started to look like they were uncomfortable to him. It's a lot of sitting/downing sometimes. Just make sure if you try that route, Deska doesn't look like he's straining.

I was also going to suggest scent work if you guys have it. No sitting, downing, etc. required. :)

Also, how about NADAC? They have non-jumping/no contacts classes (tunnelers, hoopers, weavers).
 
Back
Top