Delay in gastric emptying

My dog store carries a special bowl for dogs that makes them work to get their food. In essence, it makes them slow down. I will find out the name of the bowl and post later on today.

I had actually got one last weekend. It is larger, flat and has four open compartments as well as a little centre compartment. Doesn't slow him down much, he is so hungry.
 
Ronna,
Glad Liam is doing better!
Sounds like he had a creative diet! They seem to be able to find anything to eat!
My son has a tug a jug for Snow. She was eating so fast that she was throwing up immediately. It works really well. Only a piece or two will come through the opening that is partially blocked by a nice tug toy. He can't leave it down though because she figured out how to unscrew the base and get her food. It was quite a process. But, supervision works.

I hope that Liam's progress continues as rapidly as it has so far!

Good thoughts!
Pam and Sunny and Snow
 
Pam

Liam is my chewer. He loves to lay by himself and chew away on anything. I will really have to watch him. The only way I can figure out the hair ball is from him grabbing hold of the girls' ruffs when he is playing with them.
 
Ronna,
I know what you mean. Sunny likes the plastic rings that come off the gallon milk jugs. If she finds one...down the hatch. She also picks up fur no matter how carefully we watch . Btw I have two poms ( one has enough fur for 3 dogs)
Oh and just another thing Sunny and Snow both love ...bandages. Snow ate 36 inches of tape from off her leg and the bandage...ugh. Sunny likes plain bandages. Just must be a sheltie trait. And another thing to watch.

Does Liam have a bandage?

I just thought that having to eat more slowly might keep him from his nonedible food quest.


You have had such a difficult week.
Take care!

Pam and Sunny and Snow
 
They do like to chew don't they? He doesn't have a bandage but has a long incision on his belly, just below the rib cage. He isn't licking it, but he is licking around the area when they would have used a topical preparation.

Eating slowly I certainly do want. Hopefully he will have learned his lesson but I don't it.

Thanks for the good thoughts.
 
Emmasmom, so glad for the answered prayers. God is good and glad to hear of Liam's speedy recovery. I did not see your thread for a while and missed the part where Liam was to have an exploratory.It's amazing what dogs will eat and some are just relentless about it.
 
Twisted bowels can happen for a variety of reasons. The vet is not sure why. It could be a simple twisted intestine that can be untwisted, it may be the middle portion of the small bowel twisted around it, it may be the intestine doubling back on itself (think of folding a sock back on itself). We won't know how extensive the surgery will be until the vet goes in and starts the surgery. Needless to say I am a basket case right now. I have lost two dogs to illness and don't want to lose a third boy. Maybe I should not have boy dogs.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. Surgery is booked for 10:30 tomorrow. I have to work so it will be an extremely difficult day and difficult night. We will not know how long Liam will be there until surgery is done.

Once again, I cannot emphasize enough to know your dog. If I hadn't known Liam so well, I would have missed this. Thank goodness I had the foresight to put him on my pet insurance.


I am so sorry for Liam's illness! Prayers and thoughts go out to your family and Liam ... will be sending special prayers on Wednesday!!!

You are so right when you say know your dog! And yes, you are fortunate you chose to put him on the pet insurance!

Hugs!!!
 
Liam is home. He had a foreign body in the stomach (a ball of hair and chewed up plastic) as well as cecal impaction and part of the small bowel twisted around the colon. He looks good for having had such major surgery.

Ooops ... I am so sorry ... don't know how I missed this thread this week - I thought the surgery was this coming Wed and responded same.

However, I am so happy to hear that Liam's surgery went well and that he is on the road to recovery so well!!!

Brandi & Brady are always eating stray hair balls and I don't always get them out of their mouths in time. I do, however, see them passing in the poop.

Prayers for continued and quick recovery for Liam!!!

Hugs ... and a big one for Liam!!!
 
Ronna, I don't know how I missed this thread but I am really glad that Liam is ok and that he seems on the road to a full recovery. Give him a hug for me.:smile2:
 
Back
Top