Delay in gastric emptying

Thanx Dr. Shelli. I will hug him for you. I am just so thankful he survived.

Question for you: in your practice, with dogs that have had bowel obstructions and foreign bodies, how long do you keep on soft food and what kind of food do you transition to? Right now Liam is on MediCam gastric forumula, but I want to put him on something that is meat first.
 
Ronna,
I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm so glad Liam is doing much better after his surgery. I'm so glad Liam is on his way back to being his normal self.

You are so right about knowing your dog. Edan's my little food hound and when he stopped eating everything last year I knew something wasn't right; and it took nearly two weeks to find the problem. Like you, I was incredibly worried and scared.

Earlier in the thread you said something along the lines of 'maybe you shouldn't have boy dogs'. Well, Liam is one very lucky boy to have you for his mom. You are a fantastic Sheltie mom to all three of you little ones.
 
Silaria - thank you so much.

The reason about the boy dogs - I have lost two boy Shelties to illness and then this scare with Liam.
 
Thanx Dr. Shelli. I will hug him for you. I am just so thankful he survived.

Question for you: in your practice, with dogs that have had bowel obstructions and foreign bodies, how long do you keep on soft food and what kind of food do you transition to? Right now Liam is on MediCam gastric forumula, but I want to put him on something that is meat first.

We usually do small frequent meals for 2 weeks and than increase the amount after that. A bland food(low fat) soft food is generally what we have them on and that is usually one of the RX GI fods. Depending on how they are doing we slowly put them back on they regular food around 3-4 weeks. Slowly is the key word.
 
I have him on small frequent meals of the GI Rx food. He goes back on Saturday to get the stitches out. I feel bad - he is so hungry all the time, even before the surgery, he was looking for food. Thank you for your advice. It confirms my feelings.
 
Just reading this all now! So sorry Liam has been having such a rough time. Glad he made it thru surgery OK, how VERY scary.

I'm like you - no 2 legged kids - my kids are Julip, Iris & Fern - (cats) So I totally understand how they are EVERYTHING!

Hope Liam feels better real soon.
 
Did Liam have surgery?

Just wanted to once again say thank you to the wonderful forum of friends here.

Liam is doing remarkable well. The incision looks great - no oozing or bleeding. It is itchy though. I laugh at him standing on three legs with one back leg in the air as if he can't figure out what to do with it or where to scratch. He has a section on his right leg that had to be shaved for the IV.

He goes back on Saturday to get the stitches out and I will update one last time on how he is.

I still can't fathom that one week ago, I didn't know if he would make it. Now if Natalie would only leave him alone to let him completely heal (she has become a real character and rivals Liam for being a troublemaker). I do note that he is quieter than he was, but the spark that makes him Liam is still there and is coming back through more and more.
 
Just wanted to once again say thank you to the wonderful forum of friends here.

Liam is doing remarkable well. The incision looks great - no oozing or bleeding. It is itchy though. I laugh at him standing on three legs with one back leg in the air as if he can't figure out what to do with it or where to scratch. He has a section on his right leg that had to be shaved for the IV.

He goes back on Saturday to get the stitches out and I will update one last time on how he is.

I still can't fathom that one week ago, I didn't know if he would make it. Now if Natalie would only leave him alone to let him completely heal (she has become a real character and rivals Liam for being a troublemaker). I do note that he is quieter than he was, but the spark that makes him Liam is still there and is coming back through more and more.

I'm so happy to hear your boy is on his way to 100% recovery. It seems like you've dealt with your fair share of dog issues, so here's to hoping you get a much needed break!
 
I forgot to post yesterday about Liam's postop visit on Saturday. The vet gave him two thumbs up, he was so happy with the way he has healed and so quickly. Unfortunately, now there is a problem with Emma ligament, the vet was so kind as to take a look at her yesterday as well. There is a new thread about Emma. It seems that for the past six weeks, the dogs are getting to know their new vet very well.

Poor Liam. He was on my knee yesterday and when he saw Dr. Ivan, he tried to scale my shoulder to get away.
 
Back
Top