Disappointing run throughs

I saw a video and it made so much more sense. I honestly haven't practiced those in awhile so I figured you knew what you were doing, but then I wasn't sure what it was. LOL. As typical, it's all about timing right?

Well, stay cool, I'll obviously be grateful with no humidity. I"m surprised they're going to still run. Keep your pups cool (this one, Miko is staying home since we don't have to be there all day long - lucky dog, he'll have the A/C on).
 
Sophie, thanks for the advice! I guess I should have added that we've been working on a new contact training method (Silvia Trkman's running contacts) all summer. So we've been doing it a specific way. And, in seeing his progress up until the other day, he was doing awesome! (Hitting about 90% of them!) But you are 100% right on with the tunnel/dogwalk confusion. I think that added to his frustration. We do have a separate word for both, but he got stuck in a "cycle" of doing the tunnel, and I couldn't get his attention! We worked more on it last night, and your advice was what we ended up doing. We actually stopped after he took the jump, and he slowed down to look, and at that point I was able to pull him from the tunnel. It's what I was originally trying to do (the Reverse Flow Pivot), but I was putting waaaaay too much motion in and confusing him.
I haven't used RFP (well maybe I have and didn't know the name!:biggrin2:) my biggest thing is using my arm that is the wrong side of Cadbury to point to an obstacle and this confuses him - its a very naughty habit on my part.

I didn't realise you had been practicing all summer, but don't get frustrated, just relax and enjoy - Bentley will probably perform better if you do. He'll get the contacts eventually, he just needs reinforcing on the dogwalk, perhaps add in a 'steady' command to slow him slightly so he misses less?

I'm glad you did better with the tunnel/dogwalk - I hate things like that, the tunnel is such a draw for a dog and in the heat they seem to prefer going for the easiest obstacle if there is a choice!
 
Chelle--Thanks for your support. There are definitely bad/frustrating days in agility. I can't believe Duncan missed the a-frame contact entirely. That's a huge jump! Glad he was okay. Good luck training the 2o2o. I think it sets a much clearer expectation, once the dog "gets it". I think it's particularly good for high drive, excitable dogs that need to stop and use their brain, even if just momentarily.

Thanks. I've been putting it off because it isn't fun. I really think that's the most boring thing we'll have gone through. I do think I have a system for setting up the board now, though, after I teach it flat first. Sigh. (Yeah, that was out loud.)

I hope your run-through went fine! I have found that I have to 'get in the zone' before agility or I mess everything up. I sing to Duncan and tell him to 'get in the zone' as well. I don't know, but finding myself in the mindset just helps. Maybe you'll find your magic 'on-button'! Break a leg at your trial (you, not Bentley! :razz:).
 
Sorry to hear your frustrations. I can empathize with the running contact trouble. I worked *so* hard at training a running contact with Bella using Silvia Trkman's method, but it just didn't translate to a reliable contact in situations other than practice (especially on USDAA's smaller contact zone).

Seems to work great for some people, but didn't jive well with my dog!
 
Sorry to hear your frustrations. I can empathize with the running contact trouble. I worked *so* hard at training a running contact with Bella using Silvia Trkman's method, but it just didn't translate to a reliable contact in situations other than practice (especially on USDAA's smaller contact zone).

Seems to work great for some people, but didn't jive well with my dog!

Thanks! What method did you end up going with? We did one dogwalk today (and it was a mistake...he went out in a gamble and missed the discrimination), and totally jumped off. Oops. Tomorrow we're doing Standard, Grand Prix and Pairs, so it's REALLY going to be interesting to see what happens.
 
Back
Top