Ears advice

Those little puppy ears are so precious and sensitive..Megan came to us with her ears down, of course they didn't stay that way :cool:. I took her to her breeder and they glued them down for me and for awhile it worked.

I gave up on them and think her ears look just fine standing straight up :yes:
 
I agree with you- the AKC needs to change.
Karen Curtis

Not trying to sound harsh, but if you read and understand the standard there is a reason for their ears to be that way. Their ears are tipped because

1. it helps keep the elements out of their ear canal while working out in the fields.

2. it helps with "catching" the sounds/commands they need to hear way out in the field it acts as a tunnel.

There is a reason for everything that is in their standard as it applies to the function of the dog.
 
Lightplum I agree with you. Some ears naturally tip but some need some guidenced and that what those of us that are gluing or bracing are doing for our puppies.
 
Not trying to sound harsh, but if you read and understand the standard there is a reason for their ears to be that way. Their ears are tipped because

1. it helps keep the elements out of their ear canal while working out in the fields.

2. it helps with "catching" the sounds/commands they need to hear way out in the field it acts as a tunnel.
sd
There is a reason for everything that is in their standard as it applies to the function of the dog.

I don't think you sounded harsh at all. Just a difference of opinion, the AKC does have to change, I believe. If sheltie ears are naturally tipped, that is fine. But some are not, that is also fine- I don't think it makes, or made, that miuch difference. The ears are minor compared to other AKC standards: poodle clips (ridiculous, I think), tail docking, boxer ears, doberman ears- all this is unnatural, and fake, and does not better those breeds. Naturally tipped ears on shelties are adorable- but some look manually folded over. This post is not meant to minimize the importance of the AKC at all, but I think changes need to be made. I in no way mean to make judgements about dog owners, showers, etc.
Karen
 
Last edited:
AKC has nothing to do with the breed standards. The standards are written by the breed's parent club. AKC is a registration body. They hold the stud books for the breeds, and determine when the stud book for a breed is large enough (enough generations) to be eligible to have that breed's breeding stock evaluated, (judged at an AKC conformation show). Thus, go forward with the breed within the guidelines of the written standard. AKC judges judge, interpreting the breed standard written by the parent club. Not the other way around, in that we don't breed dogs according to what AKC judge's deem acceptable.
If you think about it, there are at least 156 AKC recognized breeds. It is only logical that the breed parent clubs would write the standard that encompasses the function and form that makes that breed unique. Whether for hunting (sight or smell), herding, working, or companion.
 
Last edited:
AKC has nothing to do with the breed standards. The standards are written by the breed's parent club. AKC is a registration body. They hold the stud books for the breeds, and determine when the stud book for a breed is large enough (enough generations) to be eligible to have that breed's breeding stock evaluated, (judged at an AKC conformation show). Thus, go forward with the breed within the guidelines of the written standard. AKC judges judge, interpreting the breed standard written by the parent club. Not the other way around, in that we don't breed dogs according to what AKC judge's deem acceptable.
If you think about it, there are at least 156 AKC recognized breeds. It is only logical that the breed parent clubs would write the standard that encompasses the function and form that makes that breed unique. Whether for hunting (sight or smell), herding, working, or companion.
I stand corrected, then.:uhoh:
Thankyou for the education. It does sound logical- I wonder then, who had the original ideas for standards such as boxer ears, doberman ears, and tail docking, and why. I can understand the sheltie tipped ears, (though I still would think it would not make much difference slightly tipped or perked up), but I don't understand the other, much more drastic standards. I love boxers, my grandparents had two when I was a kid, since I was never allowed to have dogs, these boxers meant alot to me. :yes:
Karen
 
I stand corrected, then.:uhoh:
Thankyou for the education. It does sound logical- I wonder then, who had the original ideas for standards such as boxer ears, doberman ears, and tail docking, and why. I can understand the sheltie tipped ears, (though I still would think it would not make much difference slightly tipped or perked up), but I don't understand the other, much more drastic standards. I love boxers, my grandparents had two when I was a kid, since I was never allowed to have dogs, these boxers meant alot to me. :yes:
Karen

First of all, I just want to say that I am against most surgical procedures for cosmetics, except for removal dew claws. I see that as necessary, so that the dogs don't pull them out and hurt themselves later on. I am sure that in time, this practice will also be viewed as being cruel, but for now, I agree with that procedure being done. This is another human intervention done, even though a lot of dogs are naturally born with dew claws.

Ear cropping...I believe was to make a breed with droopy ears appear fiercer. Dogs such as the ones you described (boxers and dobermans) look cute and puppy like with droopy ears, and this was not the "look" people were going for with those breeds. So....they had the ears cropped.

Tail Docking...I believe was originally started for breeds that worked in the field and picked up briars and wagged so much that they got cut up. I also think that in some breeds they are docked because they believed it made the back stronger.
 
Back
Top