Excitement for Kindergaten

Actually, the assistant has a 7 month old tri-color sheltie also. :cool:

Kindergarten is fun eh? This our fifth or sixth class...its on-going until you feel you're ready to move into beginners so I've lost track...and he once again did really well.

He's 100% targeting, heeling, recall, sits, stays, waits and "watch"

Working on stay-downs and sitting when we stop...as well as proper finishes he's crooked :lol:

Hope your next kindergarten class goes well Danisgoat! Ours was fun once again, though we did have another class member ask us what we were doing in Puppy Kindergarten when Whiskey does everything I ask him to. Slightly embarassing moment :o On a better note our trainer said she could see Whiskey starting to "show" rally in the next 6 months or so, and obedience in the next year.

That's great news! i'm thinking about trying Rally with Deja. I'm not sure about obedience because it looks so much harder.
 
That's great news! i'm thinking about trying Rally with Deja. I'm not sure about obedience because it looks so much harder.

Rally is supposed to be a bridge between training your dog to get a CGC and doing regular obedience. Obedience has offleash work- Rally starts that at the advanced level- gotta get Callie closer to working better offleash before our next trial. Obedience has jumps and scent discrimination and retrievals- Rally advanced and excellent have jumps but not that other stuff. I'd say that you and Deja would have no problems training for both. I'm sure that I left off lots but AKC has a pdf that explains everything relating to obedience and rally:
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf
 
Oh yeah, Whiskey is doing great with his training. He's about to graduate kindergarten. I believe this Saturday is his "exam" day to see if he's ready to move up to big dog school.

We'll be taking a break after kindergarten though, he's getting neutered sometime next week if I can bring myself to bring him in :lol: I'm dropping him off in the morning and bringing him home with me after work. There also is a LOT of commotion in the house with our visitors my friend has been out of town for almost two weeks now..she had not one but TWO cattle dog pups I was watching her male and her mom was watching her female.

Making a long story short I'm here with TWO cattle dog pups and a Sheltie who refuses to acknowledge their existance. My friend won't be back for another little while, so Whiskey and I will be bumming out for the summer taking a couple weeks vacation from work to spend polishing his training and having fun since we have this cattle dog chaos right now. I'm very afraid my pack is about to grow...so we'll see how this all pans out.
 
Rally is supposed to be a bridge between training your dog to get a CGC and doing regular obedience. Obedience has offleash work- Rally starts that at the advanced level- gotta get Callie closer to working better offleash before our next trial. Obedience has jumps and scent discrimination and retrievals- Rally advanced and excellent have jumps but not that other stuff. I'd say that you and Deja would have no problems training for both. I'm sure that I left off lots but AKC has a pdf that explains everything relating to obedience and rally:
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf

I have no doubt that Deja could learn it.. my fear is that I wouldn't rofl..

poor Whiskey and the evil snippaging! No fears though, Darby went through his cherry plucking with minimal impact!
 
That's great news! i'm thinking about trying Rally with Deja. I'm not sure about obedience because it looks so much harder.

Oh think about obedience down the line it is more fussy then Rally but fun .If you train your dog though excellent,you have all the basic moves for obedience sans retrieving and go outs. I don't care much for Novice but it is essential for a good foundation. Like Open, and love Utility. If you have a good instructor to help you with handling and is not an overly drill orietated person obedience it is fun if you get a drill instructor it is a drag. Took me awhile to find a good trainer who is fun and teaches the sytle I like. Obedience is my first love.
 
Oh think about obedience down the line it is more fussy then Rally but fun .If you train your dog though excellent,you have all the basic moves for obedience sans retrieving and go outs. I don't care much for Novice but it is essential for a good foundation. Like Open, and love Utility. If you have a good instructor to help you with handling and is not an overly drill orietated person obedience it is fun if you get a drill instructor it is a drag. Took me awhile to find a good trainer who is fun and teaches the sytle I like. Obedience is my first love.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am sure that once I finish my current goals I will continue to move forward.. right now its..:
1) Learn Flyball. (compete by end of summer)
2) Get therapy certified. (depending on classes, this summer)
3) Get Rally training. (maybe start in the fall)
4) Start agility (this summer?)
5) Get basic herding title. (there are trials this summer)
6) Continue to show her in confirmation for another year.

Breathe.. figure out where we're at and reprioritze some time in the fall..
I'm not saying NO to obedience it's just that Rally will be my first step in that direction and we'll see heh.
 
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am sure that once I finish my current goals I will continue to move forward.. right now its..:
1) Learn Flyball. (compete by end of summer)
2) Get therapy certified. (depending on classes, this summer)
3) Get Rally training. (maybe start in the fall)
4) Start agility (this summer?)
5) Get basic herding title. (there are trials this summer)
6) Continue to show her in confirmation for another year.

Breathe.. figure out where we're at and reprioritze some time in the fall..
I'm not saying NO to obedience it's just that Rally will be my first step in that direction and we'll see heh.

Well it sounds like you have a full plate already. Deja's schedule sounds likes Diva's

1) Show in conformation-co breeder steals her away so that puts a damper on 2-4.:(
2) Compete in Rally if I can find a show were she is not showing in breed. I hate running around.
3) Continue obedience training and compete in Novice by next fall
4) Continue learning agility possible compete by next fall.

I want to do herding but her co owner won't let me until she is done with breed.:( So she will just need to continue herding the other shelties.:wink2:
We are planning possible pups next year after the new year if she passes her health testing. Then we will regroup for the next year.

I also need to get Ember out showing in agility and continue on her UOCH/OTCH/UDX, continue to work on Justice's OTCH and finish his tracking training which stalled because I hate trudging through snow but have no excuses now.

I need more time and money, I think.:rolleyes2:
 
Well it sounds like you have a full plate already. Deja's schedule sounds likes Diva's

1) Show in conformation-co breeder steals her away so that puts a damper on 2-4.:(
2) Compete in Rally if I can find a show were she is not showing in breed. I hate running around.
3) Continue obedience training and compete in Novice by next fall
4) Continue learning agility possible compete by next fall.

I want to do herding but her co owner won't let me until she is done with breed.:( So she will just need to continue herding the other shelties.:wink2:
We are planning possible pups next year after the new year if she passes her health testing. Then we will regroup for the next year.

I also need to get Ember out showing in agility and continue on her UOCH/OTCH/UDX, continue to work on Justice's OTCH and finish his tracking training which stalled because I hate trudging through snow but have no excuses now.

I need more time and money, I think.:rolleyes2:

Hehe I hear ya.. DW and I did the math on our two pups. Last year we spent more on them than we did in the entire life of Sage and we had him 14 years!
 
Back
Top