Experiences with the older sheltie please!

I do love older dogs! I adopted an 11-year old greyhound and a 7/8-year old German Spitz (though 7 and 8 are still pretty "young" for a spitz!).

I'm hoping older shelties are a little less hyper and bark less than youngsters. These two seem quite mellow. I feel bad for everyone involved. The man who lost his wife, and now has such deteriorating health he can't keep his dogs, the dogs themselves, and of course the wonderful woman who has looked after them for 6 months while the owner was in the hospital. I think the shelties have formed a bond to this "fosterer" and her wonderful husband who is home all the time now with his own health issues. They may grieve moving to my house.

But this lovely couple has many, many dogs of their own from the days of breeding and really don't have the room. By contrast, my little house isn't much but my huge garden and fields are! I hope the dogs like travelling because I do like to take my dogs with me....
 
I have adopted so many rescue shelties and their stories are so similar. It breaks your heart knowing their past circumstances but your heart is quickly filled with the love you provide them when they need it the most!

"I hope the dogs like travelling because I do like to take my dogs with me...."

Be careful here until you know they are bonded to you! One of my rescued shelties slipped his collar after only having him a few months! I thought he would not bolt and run away from me but he got spooked! Took five blocks to catch him! VERY SCARY!

Good luck with the weekend visit! You are so kind to give them a chance! THANKS!
 
I too thank you for giving the seniors a chance, although 9 doesn't quite seem senior age yet to me for a Sheltie. We adopted Brooke at almost 8, and now at almost 11, she gives her granddaughter a run for her money! She came with beautiful manners and tolerates our kitty and visiting dogs with no difficulty. She seems to LOVE horses - when we walk along our creek or out on the mesa top, there are horses sometimes, and she wants to go up and sniff noses with them. Neither she nor Faith seem interested in barking at them.

Good luck and let us know how it works out, because I hope it does!!! :)
 
Our Bonnie met a sheep when she was about 11. It was a Shetland Ram who head butted her. She blinked and looked at him with a "well, that was rude," expression and that was the end of Bonnie and sheep.

I got a real kick out of this visual! I'm thinking the sheep was like "hey another Shetland *head bump* pound it!" and probably thought the SHELTIE was rude. :yes:

I have a weird sense of humor...
 
Thank you for your replies! That was a good cautionary tale, ghggp, and I will be careful when I go out with them.

The woman who is looking after them now said they don't seem to mind cats or even a giant lop-eared rabbit they met! And when one of them started to chase a cyclist, she called him back and he returned immediately. Then she introduced them to a goat. They were afraid of the goat (a sign of the sheltie dog's innate intelligence?) So, I am VERY hopeful that the sheep and horses will be just fine.

I think it will come down to the dogs now...let's hope they like each other. The sheltie boys will be 100%, I'm sure. I've seen them where they are now with 10 or so other dogs and they are perfectly behaved with them all. I hope my two spitzes behave themselves!

I am very excited about them coming. And just imagine! With 2 German Spitz's and 2 Shelties, no burglar would get out of the house with their hearing intact... ;)

Oh, Sharon7, I know what you mean about 9 not being very old. I adopted Tessa (german spitz) at aged 7 or 8 and she's still bouncing around madly at 13 and living life to the full! So glad your girl is similarly spry!
 
Just an update! The two sheltie boys came over last night and were sheep tested. They did GREAT! One of them thought it might be nice to herd them, but was called back and came. The other had no interest in the sheep.

They were every polite with my two resident dogs. One of my bitches, who is a very jealous dog and a rescue, did make a face at them a few times when they were getting attention from me. I'll keep an eye on her. The other dog accepted them easily for the evening and didn't mind them being there at all.

So.....I collect them on Tuesday!
 
Yeah! On the way home on Tuesday, remind them to stay on their good behavior for a few weeks until you fall helplessly in love with them. :love:
 
Back
Top