Fat Shelties

weighing Sandstorm

How do you all weigh your dogs?? I guess I have to stand on the scale while holding Sandstorm-:lol: I can barely pick him up!! Or we could go to the vets and use their scale? I think he may have lost a pound- he has a more hour glass wiggle butt shape, or maybe he is shedding. :yes:
 
How do you all weigh your dogs?? I guess I have to stand on the scale while holding Sandstorm-:lol: I can barely pick him up!! Or we could go to the vets and use their scale? I think he may have lost a pound- he has a more hour glass wiggle butt shape, or maybe he is shedding. :yes:

We do the weigh in with the dog, weigh in without the dog. It is not as accurate as the scales at the vet but it gives a reasonable approximation!
 
How do you all weigh your dogs?? I guess I have to stand on the scale while holding Sandstorm-:lol: I can barely pick him up!! Or we could go to the vets and use their scale? I think he may have lost a pound- he has a more hour glass wiggle butt shape, or maybe he is shedding. :yes:

I stand on a scale with Sadie or Toby, then subtract my weight from our total. Ginny is small enough that she sits on the scale by herself. :o
 
I stand on a scale with Sadie or Toby, then subtract my weight from our total. Ginny is small enough that she sits on the scale by herself. :o
If I do this, someone should definately take a picture of it. That's how funny I think it will be. When we first met Sandstorm, he was 4 1/2 months old- and heavy. When I held him it reminded me of holding my son when he was about 7 months old- too heavy!!! I may just go by the way he looks instead. You can really tell when they lose a few pounds, I think. They tend to have a noticeable waist when you look down at them from above with the dog standing.
And you know that if I did the scale thing, Sandstorm would write in complaining of being humiliated once again! :lol:
 
Annie Laurie and Bits are overweight. It's not too bad, but it's enough that I'm taking definite action. DH is visiting a pal for three weeks, so here's my chance and plan:
1. One level half-cup of Acana twice a day, supplemented with a half-cup of cut green beans
2. Daily walk, no matter the weather.

My friend who owns Vibrant Pets is ordering me the Acana "diet" version. It won;t come for another two weeks, but this plan should get us started.

Anie keeps saying, "I'm not fat! I'm just fluffy." Nice try, little footstool! :wink2:

Seven months later: Annie Laurie, Bitsy Boodle and Layla have each lost 20%. No more fat Shelties!!! Yay!!!:biggrin2:
 
Seven months later: Annie Laurie, Bitsy Boodle and Layla have each lost 20%. No more fat Shelties!!! Yay!!!:biggrin2:

Great job Chris!!! I'm glad you posted an update. I had never seen this thread, because I joined after it happened. I have to be so careful with Lexi. She had elbow surgery at 16 months and she does agility. Extra weight is extra bad for her.

There is a sheltie in Pyper's agility class who is very heavy. I'm hoping the trainer has said something to the owner. It has to be so hard on her body to be jumping and climbing.
 
Seven months later: Annie Laurie, Bitsy Boodle and Layla have each lost 20%. No more fat Shelties!!! Yay!!!:biggrin2:

That's great to hear! I had similar success with my guys on Orijen. Boy do I ever love Champion Pet foods, their products are just great. :smile2:

And good for you Chris, sticking with your plan. That's half the battle! :smile2:
 
Fantastic, Chris!

I have been trying to get a pound or so off Buffy. She cracks me up because every time I weigh her and then pick up the scale to put it away she barks and growls at it and tries to bite the scale. Good times. :biggrin2:
 
I loved re-reading this thread again....but hated to be reminded about the weight loss program I was supposed to put my dogs on. But never actually did.

I guess the good news is that haven't gained any weight. The bad news is that they've not lost it either. And that's especially good since in winter they tend to pack it on because we don't walk as much.

Great news about your pups! Perhaps I'll have to use you as my inspiration to try again! :o
 
It's been nearly a week, and so far so good. Energy levels are up and the puffiness is going away. The dogs are doing well, too. :lol: Best of all, we're all getting out of the snacking habit -- and the humans have stopped sneaking the Shelties people food.

Seriously, all us fluffy folk are making progress. Yesterday we took a really long hike, and Annie and Bits had no trouble -- in fact, Bits trotted and romped the whole time! Here's some progress pics of Annie (L) and Bitsy Boodle (R):

Sandstorm here;
Annie and Bits! Let Colonel Underpants take care of yu! He is a colonel! He needs to make yu work!!!
 
Back
Top