Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Fat Shelties

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Chris, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Seeing this thread again reminded me I never told you guys.

Ember hit her goal weight she is now 14.5 lbs! She was 18.9Lbs in Nov. 2010. This is the lightest she has been in 2yrs. Probably why she is running the fastest in agility that she has ever.

Now to get her handler in shape.:smile2::lol:

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    No Longer Fat Shelties!

Since I posted this, all our Shelties have trimmed down to their ideal size. Hooray for beans!!

3. wjo53

wjo53 Forums Enthusiast

Congratulations!

I'm working on trying to get April down where she needs to be. Tough job ahead though. She LOVES her couch.

4. Katherine

Katherine Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Charleston SC
    Sound very successful all the way around ! The "biggest loser" thread for shelties.

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    LOL!!! We should start this. I don't watch the show, but it would be fun to start one for shelties. Sandstorm has gained a few lbs, I think, from her last vet visit. The vet had said he was at a perfect weight of 32 1/2 lbs, he is 18 3/4 in. tall. I think he gained weight after we switched him to blue buffalo and were giving 2 cups a day. We cut it down to 1 1/2 cups a day about 2 months ago. We also switched his treats a few days ago from milk bones to Evo wild cravings grain free treats. One milk bone is 40 cal ! One Evo treat is 12 cal. Hopefully this will cause Sandstorm to lose a few lbs, to get him back to 32 lbs. I don't know how much he weighs, but to me he looks just a bit chunkier.

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Milk bones ARE the devil.
    SS sounds to be pretty tall, like Toffee..
    He has also lost weight, he's at 33 pounds, I want him closer to 30....
    However, my good friend and neighbor, Scotty the poodles Mom, is sabotaging with the Milkbones.. which Toffee L O V E S...

Attached Files:

7. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

For crate treats we switched to the Natural Balance sweet potato and vennison ones which are grain free and the dogs just love. We buy the small dog ones so that it is easy to keep the treat small!

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is one small milkbone. I had the regular sized one calculated out at 82 cals. Though this was some years ago. Maybe they changed the formula. That is equal to 1/4c of most maintance dog food!

My parents Lab lost almost 30lbs just cutting out the giant milkbones. Sometimes we would get 2-3 a day.-equaling almost 2-3 cups of food. Not kidding.:eek2::(

9. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Holy CRAPpppPPPPP
    ... Scotty's mom feeds Toffee like 5 small milkbones when she gets a hold of him (he who wanders over to bark at her deck door, :rolleyes2: I wonder why... lol) I am going to HAVE give her ideas for other treats that are less fattening... but not making it sound like it's cuz Toffee is too big!
    She is like all grandmothers fiercely protective of him and thinks because I only feed him once a day, I have him 'go hungry all day' and I must be awfully cruel, LOL

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh good grief! They give milk bones out at the bank's drive-up window and Pixie literally hangs out the window salivating for them when I take her. The tellers just oooo and ahhhhh and give her two. No wonder she's a porky princess! :eek2: