fencing?

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking, missjenneygirl. You think a sheltie could jump that? Ours in Georgia was easily 5 foot at the top rail (right at my shoulders). And I was thinking that during installation part of the dog fence could be buried for a digging friends.
 
We have one of those tall 6 foot wood fences. I've never seen Bailey try to dig under the fence. Most our yard is brick and rocks, so there's no dirt around the fence for her to dig. We do have a small wall in the back and behind it is some dirt and I have seen Bailey dig a hole there. I never thought herding dogs would be diggers.
 
I think we may have to lay bricks down by the fence as there are too many gaps if Megan were to become an eager digger and a good one at that..:cool:
 
Does anyone use horse fence with dog fence stapled into it? This is what we had in Georgia for Cleveland. BUT Cleve was not a digger and was never an escape artist. McKinley DIGS and thinks the grass is greener on the other side of his fence.


Check out this peak hole for the pups:

ok, I am going to HAVE to get a couple of these for Deja and Darby!!
 
Does anyone use horse fence with dog fence stapled into it? This is what we had in Georgia for Cleveland. BUT Cleve was not a digger and was never an escape artist. McKinley DIGS and thinks the grass is greener on the other side of his fence.


Check out this peak hole for the pups:


OMGsh, how cool is that!!
 
Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking, missjenneygirl. You think a sheltie could jump that? Ours in Georgia was easily 5 foot at the top rail (right at my shoulders). And I was thinking that during installation part of the dog fence could be buried for a digging friends.

We did something like that this summer to fence in our former riding ring for the Shelties. We used green metal stakes with very solid wood stakes at the corners, and attached the green garden fencing to them, which is four feet. Barkley is quite the jumper and has not even attempted to get over it, in spite of the squirrels mocking him from the other side. :lol: It's the best thing we ever did, although I would never leave the dogs outside if I wasn't around to supervise, just in case.
 
I've seen it done at the 4' height, and I had been told that shelties have been known to spring off the top rail and over. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but I just can't do a 5' fence. It would look like I holding back baby gorillas.
 
We have a 4 ft shadowbox style wood fence. We still get critters raccoons, oppossums(sP) and cats that wander through at night time so I am careful when we go out, we do have lighting on the fence.
I would be scared silly if I had to worry about coyote's. There have been a few bears spotted in some neighborhoods.
 
I've seen it done at the 4' height, and I had been told that shelties have been known to spring off the top rail and over. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but I just can't do a 5' fence. It would look like I holding back baby gorillas.

What a hoot picturing baby gorillas in your kennel, missjennygirl!!! :lol: Not sure they'd work well on a leash in the ring... :uhoh:

We have had deer hop over the fence during the night...we can see where they do it, but so far no one has escaped. I think the 4 ft is doable but again, I wouldn't use it unless you're able to supervise the herd when they're out.
 
NORMALLY our dogs don't even think about going over the 4' fence. Figaro is an incredible jumper, but he doesn't even seem remotely interested in jumping the fence.

Most of the time.

Unfortunately....at the very end of Sasha's most recent heat (day 20, SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAFE) we sequestered her in the "poop yard" and had the other dogs out in the back yard with the deck area gated off between the two while we were showing Topaz to his new mommy.

Figaro jumped two 4' fences to tie up with Sasha.
We've been holding our breaths and saying "no, no, no way, it was too late, no no no no"

But now I'm thinking she is.
Not what we had planned at ALL.
Maybe she isn't??????? Ok she kinda looks like she is. IF so...we will have pups on/around 3/23/10 dagnabit.
 
Back
Top