Flea allergy dermatitis? Help!

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
So, as we found out, Koji's biting is due to fleas. Poor little boy. A quick background. Because I've been out of agility and money was super tight, I stopped using Advantix on him (ran out). Stupid me didn't think about summer and all the dogs here, so he picked up fleas. I had just bought some more Advantix.

As soon as I saw the fleas, I picked off about 8. I put on the Advantix and prayed that would work. I usually put it on at his withers and near his tail (he's long, so I usually did this to make sure he's "covered"). Later that day, I went and got some Capstar and gave him a pill. Then put Advantix on Miko.

It seemed to help as Koji stopped biting at himself so much. But he's still at it.
The next day, I gave him another Capstar and an hour later, washed all the bedding (mine and theirs), vacuumed as well as possible (I have tons of boxes everywhere and can't move it all), and put DE on a rug (found a dead flea), the couch, a little on Koji.

Later that night, I found another live flea on Koji. So obviously something isn't working. Help! What should I do?


The other issue:
I am pretty sure he's got flea allergy dermatitis, but need more info and help on what to do. He's never had fleas this badly and I'm super concerned.

The dermatitis. He's got flaky, what almost looks like yellowish scabby skin on his underside. How to explain this. Basically if I flip him over between my legs, head at my feet, tail at my crotch, the scabs are mostly at the very bottom area all alongside his inner thighs. Right where the fur starts to get thick (you know, where his um, scrotum should be - but he's neutered. But all across his legs.

First. Do you think that is flea allergy dermatitis? I've seen photos online, but usually they look red/raw, etc. He is very pink/red underneath, so obviously something is going on with his skin.

Second, if you think it is, what can I do to help it heal?


Thanks for any info. I'm going to bed. Hopefully I'll get some help. I didn't want to take him to the vet if I didn't have to, but will if you guys think I should.

Side note: my head is always itchy. I better not have fleas.
 
Definitely sounds like flea dermatitis. Deska gets fleas in the same spot - that scrotum area must be nice and cosy and easy to get into seeing as these boys are always lifting their legs to mark. Tully gets them on the belly and between the legs.

We had a flea plague here a couple of summers ago and I had the same problem - flea bombed, cleaned all the bedding and flea-ed the dogs and still found some fleas. So I contacted the 'flea line' provided by the flea treatment (think it was Advantage). They said it isn't like fly spray where the fleas die straight away. The fleas have to bite the dog and then take time to die, the eggs that are already on them have to hatch and bite too. So you can still see fleas on them - but they will die quickly.

You can always phone the Advantage flea line though and find out how long it takes them to die once they've bitten.
 
This is why I loved Sentinel (flea birth control). Does anyone know if I can give him something like that? I've already given him Advantix though.

Sigh. I thought the Advantix and Capstar were supposed to kill the fleas (on the dog, not via bite). I do know the eggs can still hatch, but hoping I am getting it all. I could bomb, but honestly, it's such a hassle with me packing.
 
Fleas

This is why I loved Sentinel (flea birth control). Does anyone know if I can give him something like that? I've already given him Advantix though.

Sigh. I thought the Advantix and Capstar were supposed to kill the fleas (on the dog, not via bite). I do know the eggs can still hatch, but hoping I am getting it all. I could bomb, but honestly, it's such a hassle with me packing.

Take him to the vet and get him some relief from the scratching.
 
Flea Control

You need to educate yourself on the life cycle of the flea. If they are in your house you have a long row to hoe. Maybe calling a exterminator would be the best place to start. I made the same mistake as you by dropping the flea meds and I really paid the price. One of the best solutions I found was a flea comb. Not easy to use on a thick coated dog, but it helped. I also had an indoor cat and it worked great there. Good luck. Benedryl may help with the allergy and itching. Ask your vet what dosage you should use.
 
Cadbury suffered badly last summer. My vet told me I could increase the treatment I was using from three months to just 1. I also gave a skin supplement to help the itchiness, I went on a flea purge, used a flea spray on all the dogs beds (I checked it was pet safe!) and washed anything washable. I also learned hoovering sucks up 80% of fleas, so doing that every evening made a difference.

This year the boys have been on a fish based food and Cadbury's skin condition is so much better and he is clearly not suffering as badly from fleas or itchy skin. I haven't had to treat him monthly, which I worry about since its all extra chemicals.
 
This is why I loved Sentinel (flea birth control). Does anyone know if I can give him something like that? I've already given him Advantix though.

Yes, you can give Sentinel with Advantix. I've done it for several of mine with no problems. I would just give them a few weeks apart. I do one on the first of the month, and one on the 15th.

I second the suggestion for the exterminator. You won't clean up your dogs as long as they're in your house. It's worth the investment, and you don't want to move the fleas!

Hope he's better soon!
 
Getting rid of fleas does not happen over night and the treatments you are using will take time to work. As mentioned already, vacuuming will make a BIG difference. Spread the DE around the places the dogs spend the most time and leave it for a few days and vacuum up a little of it to kill fleas in the vacuum. Vacuum every day. You can try some Benedryl, give 1 mg per pound every 12 hours for scratching but if his skin is red and raw he might need an antibiotic. Fleas don't like cedar shavings either so you try spreading some or that around too, or get the exterminator.
 
I do know the life cycle of a flea. Maybe it's me, but I dunno. I have never had an infestation. Even when Koji had fleas the other time, I treated him, cleaned everything up, washed all bedding, vacuumed, etc. No infestation, did not require bombing or an exterminator. When I had a cat, who had fleas, same thing. I took care of it and the fleas were gone within a week. Maybe I've been super duper lucky, or maybe I am doing something very right and different, I dunno.

Koji has all but stopped biting at himself. yay. I keep checking for fleas, nothing. When he does scratch or bite, I check immediately, nothing. And I do thorough checks with a flea comb.
I'm serious. I have never had an infestation. I understand why you guys are saying it, I'm not discounting that, but I haven't had any issues like that.....ever. I'll count my lucky stars or maybe it's my technique. I guess that's why I'm more worried about the fleas on Koji than in the house.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top