Fleas

Recently, both Romeo and Juliet had fleas and when the fleas were gone, they went and picked up ticks.

Capstar and Revolution, then Frontline Plus got rid of all fleas. And for some time I thought Frontline Plus got rid of ticks too (can I assume Frontline Plus is working if i see sesame seed sized ticks falling off them overnight on my :ick bed?)

But 2 weeks into that dose, I found big fat ticks on them. All alive and moving (I also learnt during this time that ticks poop. So gross). I waited impatiently for the recommended 4 weeks before I put it on them again (while combing through them and plucking off anything I see), and I'm now seeing no ticks.

Is Frontline Plus only effective for 2 weeks?! That's not good enough!! :mad:
 
Recently, both Romeo and Juliet had fleas and when the fleas were gone, they went and picked up ticks.

Capstar and Revolution, then Frontline Plus got rid of all fleas. And for some time I thought Frontline Plus got rid of ticks too (can I assume Frontline Plus is working if i see sesame seed sized ticks falling off them overnight on my :ick bed?)

But 2 weeks into that dose, I found big fat ticks on them. All alive and moving (I also learnt during this time that ticks poop. So gross). I waited impatiently for the recommended 4 weeks before I put it on them again (while combing through them and plucking off anything I see), and I'm now seeing no ticks.

Is Frontline Plus only effective for 2 weeks?! That's not good enough!! :mad:

I became discouraged with ticks and Frontline Plus also-I called Merial and asked for a refund actually. But I learned a bit about how the medication actually works in my conversation with them (and my vet). I always thought it was blood-once they bite they die. Nope-it's all in the fur. Ticks need to crawl around on the fur for a while in order to die. If they attach too quickly, they can feed and stay alive perhaps until their meal is over if they are someplace like the head or feet where the fur won't touch them as much. The "sesame sized" ticks you found falling off could very well have been nymphs instead of adults-which might be easier to overdose with the medication.

But no-Frontline Plus is guaranteed to work for a full 30 days. It's just that some ticks manage to attach before being killed by the drug. If you find yourself with a severe tick problem, a newer drug called Certifect doesn't allow the tick to attach. The drug basically trips the tick out, making it too confused/drugged to attach and instead it crawls around on the fur until it dies from the insectide (same one as in Frontline).
 
For what its worth, my somewhat overblown :uhoh: flea lecture, with personal opinions, (in other words, personal opinions :cool:), about the various products available was posted here...
http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=10952&page=2

ticks are discussed on the next page.
Merck has yet another new one out, haven't been detailed on it yet (getting a free lunch next week :winkgrin:.) So that messy lecture will just get messier. -Dr. Mac

Thank you for posting that! You mentioned something about flea and heartworm season not coinciding.. I live in NY, and have been bitten by mosquitos into late fall if it was warm enough, certainly still in September-could you elaborate on the flea and heartworm season? Does heartworm season differ from mosquito season?
 
-could you elaborate on the flea and heartworm season?

Even such apparently banal questions run into, shall we say, economic-politico controversies I'd rather avoid. :uhoh: Similar to the 'test every dog for Lyme each year and treat the positives.'

For example, the American Heartworm Association recommends that all dogs be on heartworm prevention year round, regardless of climate and exposure level, (fair enough), and that all dogs be tested each year as well. Suffice it to say that we do not entirely follow that protocol. :cool: -Dr. Mac
 
Even such apparently banal questions run into, shall we say, economic-politico controversies I'd rather avoid. :uhoh: Similar to the 'test every dog for Lyme each year and treat the positives.'

For example, the American Heartworm Association recommends that all dogs be on heartworm prevention year round, regardless of climate and exposure level, (fair enough), and that all dogs be tested each year as well. Suffice it to say that we do not entirely follow that protocol. :cool: -Dr. Mac

I have to admit I didn't have mine on heartworn meds during the winter..I'm kinda one if those "don't take meds unless you really need to" kind of person so I understand that.
 
If you find yourself with a severe tick problem, a newer drug called Certifect doesn't allow the tick to attach. The drug basically trips the tick out, making it too confused/drugged to attach and instead it crawls around on the fur until it dies from the insectide (same one as in Frontline).

I always thought Frontline worked by being absorbed into the surface of the skin through the body's natural oils. Ticks are a hideous problem here in the middle of the year, and I would really want to find a product that works. I'll look into Certifect! Thanks!!
 
Back
Top