Fur Trimming? pants pants pants!!!

I just had Meggie professionally groomed for the first time last week. They trimmed the hair around her ears and they definitely thinned out the sheltie pants. Also shaved a "poop shoot" which has worked out GREAT! The girl grooms shelties for show and was recommended by another sheltie owner.

Meggie looks beautiful, if I have to say so myself. :)

Before grooming:

13months004.jpg


After grooming:

Meggiegroomed003.jpg
 
Last edited:
why would you trim the ends ? It is not pretty. Only time when i do it when the dog has diarrhea and i don't want it getting stuck on the fur back there..:biggrin2:

Well, I disagree. :) It IS pretty! And much nicer than having poop stuck to her bloomers! I didn't say I trimmed the ends of anything. I thin out the bloomers and angle the hair so that her tail lies nice and flat against her pants. She has the puffiest back-end that I have EVER seen on a Sheltie! If I didn't trim her up and thin her bloomers, she would be carrying every stick, bush, leaf and small unattended children that come into her path!
 
If I may jump in, I think we're talking about a few different things here and each requires slightly different treatment.

1) The thick undercoat that resides on their rump - definitely thin that out - either with thinning shears, rake or furminator. Indy has short guard hair but incredibly dense undercoat. If I don't thin his rump, he looks like a a ball with legs.

2) The longer guard hairs that trail long down their backend and legs - these should be trimmed back slightly to remove straggly hairs - no more than just below the top of the hocks. Don't go crazy here and again use thinning shears so you don't have a blunt edge. I just brought my boys back from the groomer today from their quarterly bath. The groomer went a little crazy trimming the skirt. I prefer it on the longer side.

3) Underneath the tail - aka - the poop chute. Yes, definitely! This helps avoid the nasties getting stuck and also helps make the tail to sit close to the body.

MissSuzie's pictures look just about right for trimming the length of the skirt.
 
Oh dear, I'm afraid you ain't seen NOTHING yet when it comes to the pants. Wait till his coat really starts coming in!

Check out MissSuzie's picture....now those are pants!


Ha! I was thinking the same thing when I saw Smudge's picture. That ain't nothin'!! And being a male sheltie, it's very possible Smudge will coat up much more than my little girl, although she's pretty fluffy!
 
Ruckus has both of you guys beat!

His pants are very think and stick up and out rather than lay down. he is a tri, and his fur is a bit on the stiff side. it tangles easy and is hard to brush! I really should thin them out and give him a good grooming, but I am so busy grooming other peoples dogs that I do not feel like messing with my own!
 
Hi there,


I always have wondered about whether the old wive's tale is true though about thinning shears, they use to say that using them made the hair grow back thicker, but that really doesn't seem logical.

If it is similar to humans it just can look thicker if the hair all grows back at the same time and the same length. Uncut hair/fur will have split ends and be of different lengths. The only way you can change the thickness of the hair is to coat it with conditioners or pull it out at the root.

I trim Deska's pants and back of legs a fair bit in Spring because of grass seeds. I also trim his privates, fur around his groin area, back of legs and around his ears (as he has had a grass seed in the ear before). Tully I trim her undercarriage a bit and the tip of her tail, which drags in the dirt. They grow quickly at this time of year anyway. Both of them I use thinning scissors regularly on pants and in summer I really thin them out so they can get some air/breeze through them.

If I trusted any groomers here I would get them done as the groomers do a good job on reducing the pants. Meggies look great.
 
Well, I disagree. :) It IS pretty! And much nicer than having poop stuck to her bloomers! I didn't say I trimmed the ends of anything. I thin out the bloomers and angle the hair so that her tail lies nice and flat against her pants. She has the puffiest back-end that I have EVER seen on a Sheltie! If I didn't trim her up and thin her bloomers, she would be carrying every stick, bush, leaf and small unattended children that come into her path!

What do you think about trimming around the Poophole ??? It gets Very bushy in there and the Poo often gets stuck there. Only problem is my Dog feels it and Hates it. and she starts to Scoot to get the poop off. And i have to Assist her by lifting the tail up and picking out the Poop. It is not a pretty process....:no:
 
Back
Top