Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin keeps me up at night

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Cindy, Feb 23, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I sure hope you both find a new normal that allows you to get your rest! I know what you mean about not being able to get enough sleep! I have a senior kitty who walks around the house howling at night. He is perfectly fine... just getting old and senile! Every old cat I have had has done this.

Sure hope your sleep patterns resolve soon!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    It sounds like he's trying out his ability to get up and down. Checkers does that too now that I've let her out of the crate for overnights. She can't get up on the bed, it's too high, but she moves from dog bed to dog bed to the bathroom tile. I'm tuned to it so I hear her moving and the floor creak and oh yes, she snores too! :sleep:

I usually have three of the dogs on the bed (they're the ones that can make the jump) and one or another always jumps down and then jumps back up right after I've fallen asleep, usually landing on me. So I feel your pain! I hope once Gavin figures it out you can get back to a decent night's sleep.

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm glad neither of my boys jumps on me when getting on the bed...I wouldn't be happy if they did. My ex used to say I was a bear when woken up:ROFLMAO:! I sleep on the right side of the bed and it's just easier for them to jump up on the left so that's a plus in my favor. I'm also a fairly heavy sleeper so I don't hear them at night.

Hanne and Ann like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Last night was better..amazing what turning on a fan does to change Gavin's behavior. MUCH less coughing/gagging, too.

Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's excellent! I keep my ceiling fan on at night (I use a regular fan in the summer too when it's hot) and my boys sleep better...and so do i!

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    You know you'd be sad if he didn't. Deska didn't wake me with his night time pacing and moving around, I would just know when I got up during the night he'd be up, often standing in the doorway looking at me. I really, really wished all those times he would have come to me if he wasn't feeling well.

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin is funny that way, when he needs to go out he wakes me by standing by the bed and whining. I would love it if he would get up on the bed and paw me, but that would be too...direct?
    For the most part he isn't a pacer...he sleeps better than I do!

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    the past few nights have been so nice....he still comes up and goes down but not nearly as often.

Hanne and Ann like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    lol - I was just thinking what a light sleeper you must be!

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    well, he literally jumps on the bed next to my head :) The way the ramps are set up so the angle is as gentle as possible, the platform is not by my feet but my head.

Piper's mom likes this.