Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin's dotage

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    It’s always sweet when they want to know where you are, especially so for Gavin given that he can’t hear you! Cuddling is the best, so glad to hear even though he’s tired that he still wants to be with you!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There's something very special about senior snuggles! Gavin sounds like he is still making his opinions known, which is great! Sleeping a lot is normal at this age, but he still wants to know where you are which is so good. Checkers is the same way, to the extent that I have to put her in a crate when I'm leaving the house because she wanders around looking for me and doesn't understand when she can't find me. Yes, I have a puppy cam too and I unapologetically stalk! :yes:

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh, Gavin… you are so adored by so many! You can just feel the love by reading all these posts!
    Love hearing about his senior Sheltie snuggles! Those are the BEST! Yes, must know where mom is at all times! That’s my job and that will never change!
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin is still pretty tired today. I think I grossly underestimated how weak he has become since Christmas. Just 5 minutes in his cart taxes him sooo much. He barely ate or drank any water yesterday, just slept. I made sure to water and feed him first thing this morning even before potty (thats his normal order of things). But he is in better spirits this morning compared to yesterday

Sandy in CT, Ann, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    and the rollercoaster continues. He is following me all over again and being super cute. I can't leave him for more than 30 seconds without him following me. it's like Saturday after his outing is a 'me' day for him where he is too tired to even eat.
    he also pooped on his own and asked for more food (after begging while I ate my lunch). seriously, when I take him out its like 2 dozen + tight circles. when I'm not there its less than half as many. and in his cart, he doesn't even move (he was always a walking pooper, but not in his cart)

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    So yesterday was good, today not as much (he is dragging his bad foot a bit more, causing unintentional plopping down on the floor/yard/etc). he just fell while pooping :( I had to clean him up and change his boots as they got some poop on them. It's weird cause there is no reason for him to be struggling compared to yesterday as there was nothing significant that happened yesterday or today. He has been asking for food, which is good as his ribs are a bit too prominent.

Sharon7, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    That’s so sweet that he keeps an eye on you Cindy! Finnie is like that with me, he’s my shadow too.

Sandy in CT and Ron Atkinson like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Could it be a pain thing? Maybe some days it’s just worse than others?

Sandy in CT and Ron Atkinson like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Considering he can't feel his bad leg, I don't think it's a pain thing. I think it's a weakness thing. It's like his good leg is too tired or weak. And he is less steady on his feet (kinda wobbles a bit, and moving slowly is harder. moving faster he has momentum and its easier). But its not like he is getting much activity to tire him out, and it doesn't seem to correlate with, well, anything. I am taking notes to see if anything pops out.

Oh, and as for how I know he can't feel his bad leg, when I groom his feet, his bad leg nothing I do gets a reaction. His good leg, he doesn't even like me trimming his paw fur.

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Could it be a barometric pressure thing? I know with the crazy weather we have had lately that my bad arm aches more when the pressure changes quickly.

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.