Glue on puppy ears....

It does depend on how thick the ear leather is. We keep all our pups ears taped AND BRACED until after they are a year old. We only take it out to show, and at that time evaluate what adjustments we have to make. I think it is important to keep the brace that long, because the back skull is still growing. If you choose not to brace and just do the tips over, one day you look and the ears are low on the head and you are done. I find, you can only set the ears on top of their head while the back skull is growing. Once it is done, the ears are where they will be. That is why you can't change the ear set on a dog over a year, no matter how tight the brace.
 
It does depend on how thick the ear leather is. We keep all our pups ears taped AND BRACED until after they are a year old. We only take it out to show, and at that time evaluate what adjustments we have to make. I think it is important to keep the brace that long, because the back skull is still growing. If you choose not to brace and just do the tips over, one day you look and the ears are low on the head and you are done. I find, you can only set the ears on top of their head while the back skull is growing. Once it is done, the ears are where they will be. That is why you can't change the ear set on a dog over a year, no matter how tight the brace.


Ah ha, thanks. I have not have to brace that long. My guys don't have that big of heads. Diva is the most AKC type. But my friend has a 7 months old puppy(Kent grandson) and his ears are much lower when out. Not bad though. We are still bracing but I will let her know this info. :smile2:
 
Last edited:
It does depend on how thick the ear leather is. We keep all our pups ears taped AND BRACED until after they are a year old. We only take it out to show, and at that time evaluate what adjustments we have to make. I think it is important to keep the brace that long, because the back skull is still growing. If you choose not to brace and just do the tips over, one day you look and the ears are low on the head and you are done. I find, you can only set the ears on top of their head while the back skull is growing. Once it is done, the ears are where they will be. That is why you can't change the ear set on a dog over a year, no matter how tight the brace.

I haven't been bracing Bailey's ears just taping the tips. Luckily, her ears haven't moved to the side. They are still at the top of her head. I don't know how close together their ears are supposed to be. She's 7 months old, so I'm not going to worry about that. She's not a show dog. I just like the way she looks with tipped ears.
here's a recent picture of her:
http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=152&pictureid=1717
 
I haven't been bracing Bailey's ears just taping the tips. Luckily, her ears haven't moved to the side. They are still at the top of her head. I don't know how close together their ears are supposed to be. She's 7 months old, so I'm not going to worry about that. She's not a show dog. I just like the way she looks with tipped ears.
here's a recent picture of her:
http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=152&pictureid=1717

Bailey is adorable :) I wish Deja's ear were up naturally!
 
Our breeder kept Beckon's ears glued from the get-go. I kept him glued until 6.5 months. He looks great now!
 
We have a 5 month old Sheltie puppy and are new to ear gluing. We had a Sheltie years ago, but he was always a companion dog, and no one ever told us about the tipping. We've tried using glue (hair extension glue, and tear mender) and we've tried Japanese ear tape. The tape wouldn't stay on, and the glue is so hard to remove. It seems to hurt his ears too, and he hates when we try to remove it. Help!!! We also have a hard time getting them straight. We live in Northern Virginia. Does anyone live here that would be able to show us how to tip them, or would even be willing to do it for us occasionally? Any advice would be welcome too!!!!!
 
Removing ear glue...the best product I ever came across was Detachol. Hard to find, but I did find it eventually on Amazon or eBay.

It seems you are suffering from the same inexperience I had with gluing. There are tons of threads on this already. Just do a search on 'ears" and you will find a wealth of knowledge.

Also check out the blog "Life is better with Shelit Hair" - good info there too.

Good luck!
 
Not to side track this thread but everytime I see the title I think of 'press-on nails' for dog ears rofl..
 
Back
Top