GRRR! I hate mud and other brown stuff!

I think when there's poop mixed in you have no choice but to get them wet and use shampoo.

When Sadie gets muddy the quickest way for me to clean her off is to carry her upstairs and stick her in the bathtub and spray down the muddy parts with a sprayer. I don't use soap, just warm water and it works like a charm and takes no more than 5 minutes to rinse and dry her off. I have some spray on doggie deodorizer but I rarely use it, she never smells like anything but the great outdoors.

I couldn't stand to let it dry and fall off, there'd be dried mud all over our furnature, turning our socks brown and all over our new carpet! Not when its so quick and easy to clean her off the way I'm doing it. Definitely use a dark colored towel though, as some times there is a bit of mud left over!

Like Tara said, in Niagara we've had a ton of rain in the past couple of weeks so there really is no where for then to run where its not muddy. Sadie went for a run last weekend with a couple of her doggie friends along a creek and was completely filthy. My husband gets upset when she's muddy (I don't know why, A) She's a dog and B) I'm the one who cleans her off!) but I don't mind, she's usually having a blast getting dirty and I love watching her. :smile2:
 
Last edited:
I feel for ya Barb,,,, i live at the lake ,, and our roads are dirt/gravel/mud,,, it dont take much for the boys to get all theryre belly hair covered in mud,, and especially after a good wet lay down in whats left of the snow on the side of the road,, Bostons funny that way,, loves to lay down belly down,, then everything on the road gets stuck in his wet belly /chest fur.. lol,,, this spring has been a disaster trying to keep them clean..
 
When Buddy gets muddy (he seems to like getting muddy), the easiest way I've found is to run the bathtub full of water and just set him in the tub. As long as the water gets close to his belly, all you have to do is splash his belly and underarms and legs, pick him up and dry him. The mud comes off, and the dogs don't really seem to mind it, like they do a bath!
 
We had one great week-end and its all back to rain, and through next week.

Rain and mud these two of mine will get a shampoo, and a grooming.
 
OMG! Opened up the cottage this weekend. Brought the boys (they had a blast! Though I was having heart palpitations everytime they ducked into the woods....would they come back when I called? Thankfully, yes - everytime)

Our cottage has a stream bed that runs along the back and side of the cottage. What it really is about 6 inches of wet, mossy and muddy soil that takes until July to dry out. The boys thought it was FANTASTIC! :rolleyes2:

Spent most of the weekend drying off muddy dogs and picking twigs and leaves out of their butts! :mad:
 
After a hike, in which Sadie came back relatively clean, shee was outside playing with my in-laws border collie a couple of weeks ago and fell in the pool onto the winter cover. I had a foot of stagnant water and rotting leaves. She absolutely stunk and her fur was stained black. Thankfully it only came up to her belly so I only had to bath her legs and the very bottom of her chest!
 
After a hike, in which Sadie came back relatively clean, shee was outside playing with my in-laws border collie a couple of weeks ago and fell in the pool onto the winter cover. I had a foot of stagnant water and rotting leaves. She absolutely stunk and her fur was stained black. Thankfully it only came up to her belly so I only had to bath her legs and the very bottom of her chest!

ewwwwww, I bet that was fun!!! :dead:
 
ewwwwww, I bet that was fun!!! :dead:

Poor girl, she was as anxious to get clean as I was to get her into the bath tub. She looked quite ashamed of her smell and actually held up her feet for me to clean before I could pick them up myself. She's always very good about being cleaned up but she's never gone to that extreme before and hasn't again since. :rolleyes2:
 
I just discovered RINSELESS SHAMPOOS! I haven't tried any yet since I haven't been able to find Chris Christensen's Show Off (I looooved Silk Spirits!), but from what I heard it sounds great for spot cleaning! You just spritz it onto dry fur and lather, then towel off or blowdry - no water needed! I'm planning on using it on feet, legs, belly fur and tip of the tail after walks and mane after especially bloody raw dinners. With the coming rainy season (re: MUD), this will really come in handy. A bunch of us are ordering online a gallon or two of that stuff and splitting it into containers and spritzer bottles (cost savings when buying and shippin in bulk). I can't wait to try it!
 
Back
Top