Here he is....

So does that mean if he isn’t show quality you won’t keep him? That’s the hardest thing IMO about being a breeder or getting involved in conformation. You get your hopes up for a puppy, or even form a bond and then you have to pass. Good luck to you that he turns out!
 
I would want to keep him...right now it looks promising and if at say 4 weeks he still looks good I'd have to say that I'd keep him, I don't want to wait until fall and then have to be housebreaking in winter (our winter starts November). The breeder only mentioned that to me this past week because she knows I would want to do conformation but I've got to say if he'd be a better obedience dog than a conformation dog then I'd definitely get him. I could always get a female but I don't want the hassles of them going into heat etc. I know I should trust her judgement but I may just have to go with my heart.
 
I'm going to go see them again in a couple of weeks and looking at the pictures of him unless he's growing incredibly fast and risks being oversize I do think I'm going to get him no matter what. Besides I have to select my holiday time before the end of February and once that's done they don't like to change it so I'll set the date for when he's 10 weeks old at that's that. :fl
 
So does that mean if he isn’t show quality you won’t keep him? That’s the hardest thing IMO about being a breeder or getting involved in conformation. You get your hopes up for a puppy, or even form a bond and then you have to pass. Good luck to you that he turns out!

Or you could be like me and keep all your show failures until your house is overflowing with Shelties! I wouldn't give a single one of them up.....:love:
 
I'm just wondering if you do personality testing or only go by early reservation/conformation. Beau is the first puppy I didn't use something like the Volhard test on, and I wouldn't change a thing but I do think it gives an good idea of what ot expect--although of course puppies/dog change alot in the early months.
 
Last edited:
I just told my breeder I wanted the calm one :) She said all the girls were going to be Divas! All Gavin cared about was food and playing. He was not a fan of being weened
 
On the plus side I did find a good website where I can order a lot of the products I'll need to show. The breeder went over everything with me and I made a list...it takes a lot of stuff to do them up but once I've got the main things I will just need to stock up occasionally. Some products I could probably pick up at a show but there aren't any close by for awhile.
 
Back
Top