High Protein/Low Protein HELP

Me too!

I would love to see it.

Thanks!

Well shutes,let me see...


here is a paragraph from one article,but I will also give the link also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I cut & pasted part of an article I again just found after deeper digging on the internet.

Here it is~

TotW is manufactured by the Diamond company, like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and Premium Edge. This is their 'top of the line' food. There are three formulas, each of which are grain-free, and have several high quality meats in them. According to the company, they make their own fish meal from fresh fish that is kept stored at 35 degrees, so you can be assured that it does not contain ethoxyquin. I truly feel this is one of the best foods available right now. This is the ingredients list for the 'High Prairie' formula.

Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Below is the site I found this on. It goes into quite a bit of detail & ingrediants to stay away from,or to look for while deciding on food choices. A little lengthy,but towards the bottom,you will see the article I pasted above~ Hope that helps a little Michele

http://dogfoods.angelfire.com/
__________________
Michele & Brian
Trapp,sable male
Earnhardt~aka Earnie
Bumper..meow!
 
I sent TOTW an email asking about ethoxyquin and also if they used Human Grade meat. I am awaiting a response. (they said I should get a reply within in 3 business days so we will see).
 
Interesting thread - well worth the reading. Since Abby was 3 months old and we all thought she had hip problems we ( including her vet ) did research on what we should feed her as far as protein, calcium, phosphorus to be as close in nutrietion as puppy food. After doing tons of research and 2 local stores calling TOTW to find out if there is ethyoxiquin in there product we were guaranteed there was none. So Abby's diet is one as close to puppy food as we could get and still have all partys happy.

2 nuggets of Primal raw chicken per meal (2 meals a day)- protein 13% &
1/2 cup TOTW pacific stream - 25% protein 2x daily.

I as well as her vet and Tuft's University was satisified with this choice and combination of diet.

Almost forgot - vibrant pets supplement daily.
 
Michele,
That was a FANTASTIC article. Thank you for sharing.

Well your welcome!

There is actually quite a bit about TOTW on the internet,all positive feedback,and is very current info.

I did find that particular article,pretty much lays it out in laymens terms,and explains in detail many of the ingrediants so we all can understand the usage & pros,cons of what is in our babes foods.

I'm glad I could help
 
Here's what Orijen (Champion Pet Foods, which also makes Arcana) says about ethoxyquin:

Champion’s ingredients and foods are never preserved with Ethoxyquin or any other chemical preservative.

Ethoxyquin is typically used as a preservative in fish ingredients, and is commonly found in fish ingredients produced within the United States. Champion uses two kinds of fish ingredients in – fresh fish, and fish meals.

FRESH FISH. Our fresh fish is caught wild within our region and arrives FRESH – which is defined as ‘never frozen and with no preservatives’. Our fresh fish never contain Ethoxyquin.

FISH MEALS. Ethoxyquin preservatives are common throughout the fish meal supply chain, so Champion works directly with our fish meal suppliers (no brokers or middlemen) and we pay them a premium to have our fish meals preserved with our proprietary blend of Vitamin E and botanical extracts. Our fish meals are never preserved with Ethoxyquin.

Champion’s Ethoxyquin standard is set at true trace level, not to exceed 5 ppm (parts per million) of Ethoxyquin, which is 0.0005%, or one half of one thousandth of 1% – the lower limit of what most certified laboratories are able to detect or measure.
 
I'm still leaning toward feeding the TOTW High Prairie or Wetlands even though there is over 30% protein in those varieties.

I have a performance dog and, while I may not go to as many trials as Sharon, I do spend a lot of time training. (And hopefully this year I'll be in more trials.) The higher protein, and therefore higher energy from that protein may be beneficial to Edan because of that. If it wasn't for the agility aspect, I'd probably stick with my Eagle Pack Holistic after reading the discussions and this most recent article.

Like with other things, consider what you are asking your dog to do while considering their diet. If your dog isn't real active, the lower proteins are perfect because they don't need the extra energy. Performance dogs, however, may need that extra energy like a human athlete needs good carbs.
 
Chris - Not trying to be a pain here but one line says they never use it then they say levels not to exceed 5ppm??????
Here's what Orijen (Champion Pet Foods, which also makes Arcana) says about ethoxyquin:

Champion’s ingredients and foods are never preserved with Ethoxyquin or any other chemical preservative.




Champion’s Ethoxyquin standard is set at true trace level, not to exceed 5 ppm (parts per million) of Ethoxyquin, which is 0.0005%, or one half of one thousandth of 1% – the lower limit of what most certified laboratories are able to detect or measure.


 
That's parts per million. That's the lowest detectable level. Basically, that means that in the unlikely event there is any, it's in an amount so small as to be of no consequence. You probably eat more mercury than that in canned tuna.
 
Back
Top